Reef Aquarium Fact #268 Pipefish need a species only tank to be able to thrive.

TarHeelReefer22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that keeps pipefish in a large reef that is sps dominated and has heavy flow and several species of fish thriving. The flow is what most would consider way to high for such a delicate fish species but the reef he has constructed is very busy and elaborate and this is where they spend most of their time!

oldpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I wanted to see if anyone could add thier experiences to this thread.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with several more years with pipes under my belt since I last posted. I have a pair of dragon faced pipes in my outdoor frag tank. They have been there for over 2.5 years now. In my display tank for the last several years I can keep one dragon faced, but when I add a second one or the other passes. There is no fighting all of a sudden one is just deceased (fat but deceased). However, in the same tank (400g display) I have a Austrailian Blue line and full size Janss that hang out together for many years now. If I come downstairs in the middle of the night and look under a large shelf rock with a flashlight the two of them are always side by side stuck to the under side of the rock.

In the past year I have added 2 more of the Austrailian blue lines to the tank. In a packed 400g tank these little guys are impossible to keep track of. But if I feed before the lights come on during the day time I will see them cruising in and out through the rocks. For sure there are 2, and might be 3

Dave B

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back