Reef Aquarium Fact #96 The Lamarck's Angelfish are reef safe.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #96

The Lamarck's Angelfish are reef safe. Fish of the genus Genicanthus are the only zooplanktivores in the angelfish family. I have one in my tank and love it. Other angelfish will eat your reef so read up on your fish before you buy them for compadability with your tank inhabitants, their diet and how big they will get.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject. ;)

lamarck.jpg

Bluejawtrigger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about 4 months. They're supposed to be reef safe. Mine decided to kill my trachophylia I had had for 4 years. IMO, fish have their own personality. You can get 10 of the Same genius of fish and 1 is going to do the opposite of what it's thought to do. All fish said to be reef safe, should be considered with caution. With adding any fish, they should be observed for a month after being introduced into your tank. I wish the one I had didn't have a problem, really a cool fish. For the record, I'm not an expert. Just 18 or so years in the hobby, and my personnel experience with the one I had. I believe fish are like people, no two are alike.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow looks like the majority turn to eating corals?

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about 18-24 months. Never touched a single coral.
My tank was 90% SPS, with a few zoas and yumas laying around.

pac_island_aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A well fed fish is a behaved fish... fish that are "reef safe" or fish that eat from the water column (which is what i consider to be reef safe) will usually behave if there is adequate food for them. Keep in mind fish literally eat 12 + hours a day... feedings 3x a day usually wont cut it for most fish... Small amounts every hour or so is ideal...

Also, the deeper water genicanthus tend to be more reef safe than the shallower ones (watanabe/bellus etc) are much deeper than lamarks, so there are less corals for them to try in the wild...

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 50/50 on lamarcks. My first one has been in my display for a few years and has grown quite large without harming anything.

I recently found a juvenile so I added it to my tank in an effort to pair them. Almost immediately, the little guy started going crazy on my acans so I had to use a fish trap to get it out. He is currently living in my frag tank w/out acans.

So the "reef safe with caution" accurately describes my experience.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lamarks while mostly safe are probably the least safe of Genicanthus Ive researched. Mine like to nip stylos but nothing too bad. There also probably the most common though so reports of nipping may be more abundant due to more people owning them.

nonstopfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lamarks while mostly safe are probably the least safe of Genicanthus Ive researched. Mine like to nip stylos but nothing too bad. There also probably the most common though so reports of nipping may be more abundant due to more people owning them.

+1 They do seem to be the outlier of the Genicanthus species out there. I definitely wouldn't risk putting one in my reef when I know all the others are better suited.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back