Reef Aquariums that INSPIRE! What tank is your inspiration?

Do you get inspired by other peoples reef aquariums?

• YES (tell us which ones in the thread)

Votes: 196 87.5%
  • NO

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got into the hobby, the Tank of the Month articles were a huge influence. There were also the show tanks at my local coral farm, especially one small cube that was packed with all sorts and colors. Now that I’m on tank #5, I’m taking my inspiration from multiple sources to create something just for me.

Sly Element

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get inspired by a lot of different tanks.

If i had to try to make a tank out of every tank that inspired me, i would need a mansion with 10 tanks in each room at least.

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to add another in here, because this guy’s work is beyond phenomenal. Youngil Moon has to be one of my favorite aquascapers in the reefing world. He uses some really cool methods to put it all together, and more importantly, the corals GROW.

509F5F63-5524-4A6A-93C2-A9BF9F2F262B.png

D249B21F-7868-4C85-8B53-8F10D20F685E.png

I just LOVE the way he paints with corals, using composition for not only color, but shape and growth pattern. If you google his name, you’ll come up with interviews and videos on YouTube of his beautiful work.

BaghdadBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get inspired by a lot of different tanks.

If i had to try to make a tank out of every tank that inspired me, i would need a mansion with 10 tanks in each room at least.
Buddy, I’m right there with you. I’d have to add at least one room to the house with the specific design of being a room for showcasing ultra deep builds to be viewed from the other rooms of the house. Heh. TBH though, in all realistic terms, I would rather have one or two tanks that are utterly gorgeous and well maintained than ten tanks that look epic once every couple months when it’s their turn for maintenance.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been inspired by many reefs over the years, but it all started with a tank in 2001, at a little reef shop in Rochester, NY... Caribbean Forest. It is still there, if you ever visit. They had a 120 gallon mixed reef in the back with a giant orange/red Capricornis, growing right in to the front glass. I had already been keeping coral for a number of years, but seeing healthy SPS coral, at a time where it was less common, really inspired me. The rest is history. I've kept reef tanks consistently, ever since.

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stand corrected. I’m fairly sure you can find that on Zebra Soma’s YouTube channel but it isn’t Michel’s after all.
I found this article on it. Looks like it belonged to Alessandro Rossi in Italy.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we're going to talk about amazing, beautiful, awesome reef tanks! You know, those aquariums that inspire us to reef better! Inspiration comes in many different ways and varieties for all of us so I thought this could be a good discussion and hopefully a way to get us more inspired! Let's talk about it!

1. Do you have a certain reef tank or tanks that inspire you and how you reef? Please share a photo and tag the owner if possible!

2. What are the details that inspire you when you see a reef tank that you love?
First I was inspired by the scapes of freshwater tanks at the Seahorse.inc, a pet store I worked at. A young employee that was gifted artistically did a lot of tiered aquascapes. I really liked the way he used the vertical space.
The owner of the Seahorse.inc set up a lot of his tanks with DSBs. I began to wonder if a DSB could be used in a tiered aquascape in a marine tank. Five years ago, I decided to try it and it has worked very well.

I also have seen softie tanks and macro algae tanks that have inspired me to incorporate those into my reef.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people's tanks inspired me back in the day.

Reefkeeper2's beautiful aquarium in a greenhouse addition to his home.

Weatherson's insane reef had a lot of innovative ideas at the time.

Steve Weast's gorgeous DEEP reef was another.

Joe's 20,000g reef always inspired me.

Trido's reef is another winner for me, year after year.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find the picture or vid of it, but there is a xenia "Crystal Ball Reef" that is inspiring my Reef Bowl build...

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I surely get inspired by many. Specially those very scape driven tanks, with clean looks.

@Roberto Denadai is a friend that built many tanks that always amaze me.

I also love fresquater competition ideas like mr Josh Sim and also Bonsai keeper ideas.

Back