Reef Aspirations: What do aspire your reef tank to be?

Do you have reef tank aspirations and visions?

• Yes (please tell us what in the thread)

Votes: 149 86.6%
  • NO

Votes: 21 12.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In this hobby we have visions, desires and aspirations of what we want our reef tank to be or look like. Or at least I think most of us do. That "vision" may look very different from what someone else wants to see their reef become and I wonder what defines that vision for you. So play along with me and answer the following.

1. What do you "aspire" your reef tank to be? What does the future of your tank look like to you?

2. What defines your reef tank vision? Is it certain fish, coral, equipment, type of aquascape etc? Tell us!

image via @ChristopherKriens
elos-113.jpg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Rev,
i am taking slow breaths. my tank has cycled. i have fish, corals, and CUC. I do not have a mature tank. I have time.
"a sculptor can see what is in the stone, he just needs to reveal it" or so the saying goes. I am learning and watching. my vision is to set the garden and see what grows. I don't think it will be crisp, crystal, curated. more lively, abundant and evolving. I want a complete life cycle, ecosystem, diverse type of tank. I may have that or something else. as a noob i think my preferences and abilities, understanding and taste are very subject to change. that's a big reason i am here, so thanks,

Wayne P.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aspirations. The aspiration is to create a tank varied and beautiful which also requires minimum maintenance. It should be the focal point of my house. You can see it when you come in the house, the lights grab your eyes and pull you toward it. As you get closer you see a multitude of gorgeous fish and corals. Fish darting about, mandarin hunting pods, corals swaying in the flow. I want a tank that people want to come and visit and see what new things they can find.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to enjoy the tank as much as possible. Don’t care what direction. Fish, corals, whatever I like goes in. Obviously cost is my biggest influencer 100 max for a fish 50 for coral. 500 for equipment. Can’t justify spending more than that.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just want nice coral growth and healthy fish in my current tank. But I would like to upgrade to a really large tank once I graduate highschool/university/ hopefully med school, so that I can permanently have the tank that I want to have. Reef tank with epaulette shark, mostly SPS

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe all in this wonderful hobby have "visions, desires and aspirations" … dreams … or we wouldn't be in the hobby. They all differ as do all the individuals within the hobby. Could be a vision of having the best looking reef tank you can afford … of having a tank full of beautiful fish to gaze upon. Pleasure and enjoyment will be attained by each individual with the road to (accompanied by some aggravations along the way) … and hopefully arrival at their "vision" of their "happy place"!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef is in a muddy area at the moment. With all that is going in in the world, it's fallen by the wayside a bit and the original vision has been lost in the crud. I've been feeling inspired lately though and may go head and overhaul the tank so it's ready when I get some cash.
My general vision is something with anemones. While I've never been much of a BTA person, LTAs have always captivated me and I planned initially to do a tank centered around them. I then began collecting Acanthophyllia and other sandbed-dwelling corals that have taken up a lot of my LTA real estate and that I honestly might relocate so I can get more nems. Another vision for the tank was to have a Sargassum trigger (something that I still plan on). I had one about a year ago in an older tank that mysteriously died about a month after I got it, which was pretty disheartening. I hope to get one again and raise it right this time.
Overall, I want the tank to be how I want it. That may not make sense, but one's vision can't even be explained through words, only really by how it is executed. Forums such as this have helped me solidify my vision considerably, and for that I am thankful.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had a pretty rough start in my nano reef with parasites of all sorts, my main goal is just to get a flourishing reef, filled with bright corals and happy fish. After many months, I'm almost there, with 20+ corals and a pair of clowns (just added after a really long fallow).

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I aspire for my tank to be a healthy SPS reef with a fair amount of automation. Automation is the tricky part right now but I am close to have everything very consistent. My goal is also to keep everything as simple as possible. Eventually I’d like to have a plethora of healthy and vibrant acropora colonies which I am able to frag a few times a year.

With that said about the current take. I am already planning my next tank to achieve the same goals. I ordered my stand today and I plan to build a custom stand insert for it to keep organized. The key to a happy reef is making maintenance as simple and easy as possible
82BDD0F0-4DF4-4ED4-8F32-F83B8B183BB4.jpeg

Essentially, this insert will allow me to keep everything organized while also making it easy to refill my top off tank and AWC reservoir. I will also have an EB8 in the back of the stand and I will build a separate shelf for a Trident. Only thing left to figure out is a drain container.

A little off topic but this is the level of organization and automation I aspire to achieve.

kerbfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to enjoy the tank as much as possible. Don’t care what direction. Fish, corals, whatever I like goes in. Obviously cost is my biggest influencer 100 max for a fish 50 for coral. 500 for equipment. Can’t justify spending more than that.
You will find justifications....give it some time ! LOL

thephotographydork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to create a mini ecosystem that is neatly contained and self sufficient (as much as possible) and to recreate nature in a confined and controlled manner. I almost want some sort of fish/coral paradise setup in my tank, basically I want to meet, nay exceed the care for my livestock to give them a comparable life to the ocean . Will get there one day with a large tank. Will do my best with my smaller 32 until I can make it happen.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned something that draws you in when you enter the room. Fish, corals, and inverts some that you have to search for is fun. I like coral species that you might see waving around in the shallower, more sandy reef areas, softies that have a 'flow' with a surging current / wave. My budget is stingy usually, but I make it work to my liking. Tank is a 90 which is appropriate for space it is in, but would like to get to the 150 range one day which would give me just enough space for a larger fish or 2.

Back