Reef breeder v2 or radion xr30 gen 3?

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to change my lighting set up. I have a 180 with 2 braces. I currently run 2 32" reef breeders end to end. This creates shadows under my braces. I'm going to switch tob3 fixtures. One between each brace. Hopefully this ends the shadows. I can either get 3 new breeders, or 3 used xr30 gen 3 radions. Price is the same at the end of the day. Who would pick what and why? Its a mixed reef right mow but who knows in the future!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is totally up to you.

If you had issues with the shadows under the braces, then you might not like the shadows that point-source fixtures like the Radions have - the RB do not have as many shadows. The main complaint with the RB is the disco balling and color blending, but you have some now and if this does not bother you, then it is no big deal. There are ups and downs to either one.

You might get some "confirmation bias" type of posts where people tell you why they like what they choose, but ultimately nobody can decide this for you but you.

OP
OP
K

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you had issues with the shadows under the braces, then you might not like the shadows that point-source fixtures like the Radions have - the RB do not have as many shadows. The main complaint with the RB is the disco balling and color blending, but you have some now and if this does not bother you, then it is no big deal. There are ups and downs to either one.

You might get some "confirmation bias" type of posts where people tell you why they like what they choose, but ultimately nobody can decide this for you but you.
Thank you

Thank you. I hadn't thought of the single source light in radions. I was mostly looking fornpeopme pro or cons they have experienced. The guy trying to sell me radions speaks very highly of them of course. One issue led have is shadows under colonies. I would suspect radions have a similar issue? The breeders don't have a disco affect to my eyes I guess. I wondered if radions are really "better" and if so, how.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions/Kessils/Hydra have more shadows than a wide panel like the RB... just by design. They blend colors better, so there are tradeoffs.

You will get differing opinions on which is "better." The Radion might have more features and stuff in the app, but this can be a detriment as much as a benefit. Most of these opinions go along the same lines as who owns what.

It is going to be hard to find folks who have extensive experience with both. The RB crowd generally has an aversion to what they consider the too-highly-priced EcoTech/Kessil/AI stuff and that the RB/SB Reef Lights/etc. are just as good at "growing coral." The EcoTech crowd think that most Chinese stuff is inferior and the Radion is the best light on the market. It is hard to convince either of the other's side. Neither are right... neither are wrong... they like what they purchased.

The only other thing that might be helpful is that if the RBs are new, they do have warranty... you are flying solo with the G3s.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hooked up my RB v2! Super nice , love them .

1CFC2451-EE96-432B-B035-881F9B4413C5.jpeg

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ReefBreed Photon V2 24" over my Fluval M90. The tank is 100% SPS and also houses a blue gig. I've had the blue gig under Kessils, halides, T5's, and LEDs. You can tell when its not getting enough light because it will start to either walk upwards, if possible, or start reaching. I've had this blue gig move or reach under T5's, Kessil A350, and a 250 watt radium. I have the it currently under the ReefBreeder Photon V2 on the edge of the light (24" light on a 35" tank), and it has not moved or reached. It is nice and compact on the sandbed with deep blue coloring.

All in all I'm very happy with mine and I only run about 70-75% during peak hours on a few of the channels. The programming is pretty simple, and there are six channels to play with. I have seen some gorgeous tanks under Radion, and I have had success with Kessils too, and hell I'm even considering putting Radions on my Fluval M90. But not because I am unhappy with the ReefBreeder but more so that I just like new toys!

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same lights, RB v2 32 inch, over a 210 with two braces. Same shadows that drive me nuts.
I intend to purchase Radions as soon as I can save the cash. It was suggested I get 6 XR 15's instead of 3 XR 30's to spread them out better. That is probably what I will do.

OP
OP
K

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feed back. I'm not unhappy with mine either. Just the shadows. I'm leaning twords 3 16" breeders. One between each brace
I have a ReefBreed Photon V2 24" over my Fluval M90. The tank is 100% SPS and also houses a blue gig. I've had the blue gig under Kessils, halides, T5's, and LEDs. You can tell when its not getting enough light because it will start to either walk upwards, if possible, or start reaching. I've had this blue gig move or reach under T5's, Kessil A350, and a 250 watt radium. I have the it currently under the ReefBreeder Photon V2 on the edge of the light (24" light on a 35" tank), and it has not moved or reached. It is nice and compact on the sandbed with deep blue coloring.

All in all I'm very happy with mine and I only run about 70-75% during peak hours on a few of the channels. The programming is pretty simple, and there are six channels to play with. I have seen some gorgeous tanks under Radion, and I have had success with Kessils too, and hell I'm even considering putting Radions on my Fluval M90. But not because I am unhappy with the ReefBreeder but more so that I just like new toys!

OP
OP
K

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radions/Kessils/Hydra have more shadows than a wide panel like the RB... just by design. They blend colors better, so there are tradeoffs.

You will get differing opinions on which is "better." The Radion might have more features and stuff in the app, but this can be a detriment as much as a benefit. Most of these opinions go along the same lines as who owns what.

It is going to be hard to find folks who have extensive experience with both. The RB crowd generally has an aversion to what they consider the too-highly-priced EcoTech/Kessil/AI stuff and that the RB/SB Reef Lights/etc. are just as good at "growing coral." The EcoTech crowd think that most Chinese stuff is inferior and the Radion is the best light on the market. It is hard to convince either of the other's side. Neither are right... neither are wrong... they like what they purchased.

The only other thing that might be helpful is that if the RBs are new, they do have warranty... you are flying solo with the G3s.
The warranty is big in this decision. I was already leaning to the rb. I guess the mythical appeal of radions had me intrigued since I'm making a change

OP
OP
K

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same lights, RB v2 32 inch, over a 210 with two braces. Same shadows that drive me nuts.
I intend to purchase Radions as soon as I can save the cash. It was suggested I get 6 XR 15's instead of 3 XR 30's to spread them out better. That is probably what I will do.
Ouch on the wallet!

OP
OP
K

killerkukoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works out to be the same price for six 15's or three 30's, but yes they are expensive.
That's why I was looking at radions. I can get 3 radion gen 3 for the same price as 3 new rb. That let's me out one between each brace either option I choose. One real concern with radion is under side shadows of corals

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back