Reef Brite Lumi Lite Pro vs. XHOs PAR readings

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, hope this can help someone out!

For those that are considering the Reef Brite XHO or Lumi Lite Pro LEDs for supplemental lighting, here are some interesting and somewhat disappointing results when they are compared. Both lights are actinic and full power. Both numbers are averaged from multiple tests along the strip. Measurements were taken with an Apogee MQ-510.

Lights are both 10” above water, 1 strip for each light:

Reef Brite XHO-

• Top (about 2” from surface of water)- 100 PAR
  • Top 1/3 (8” from surface, 18” from light) – 80 PAR
  • Middle (12” from surface, 22” from light) – 68 PAR
  • Bottom 1/3 (16” from surface, 26” from light)- 65 PAR
  • Sand (24” from surface, 34” from light)- 65 PAR
Reef Brite Lumi Lite Pro-

• Top (about 2” from surface of water)- 110 PAR
  • Top 1/3 (8” from surface, 18” from light)– 93 PAR
  • Middle (12” from surface, 22” from light)– 83 PAR
  • Bottom 1/316” from surface, 26” from light)- 55 PAR
  • Sand (24” from surface, 34” from light)- 46 PAR
So, as it appears, the XHO have better penetration in terms of depth, but lack in PAR for the top ½ of the tank. So, if you’re looking to add supplemental lighting to the bottom of your tank, the XHOs may be a better choice. But, if you’re looking to add supplemental lighting to the top ½ of your tank (of course depending on height), the Lumi Lite Pros may be a better choice.

With the Lumi Lite Pros being $230 and the XHOs being $396 (both were 60” models), I can’t necessarily say the XHOs are worth the extra cost. Also, on a non-PAR related note, the Lumi Lite Pros have a visibly better “blanketing” effect than the XHOs… They are aesthetically superior in my opinion, more reminiscent of T5s.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
XHO will offer the better PAR but also consider Orphek OR3 blue plus strips with the now 5wt diodes

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great data as I just added a set to my Evo.

Question though, why are you mounting them 10" up? I thought they were designed around mounting near the surface (around 2" above if I remember correct)

OP
OP
Wunderpus

Wunderpus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great data as I just added a set to my Evo.

Question though, why are you mounting them 10" up? I thought they were designed around mounting near the surface (around 2" above if I remember correct)
Because that's the level that my Radions get the best coverage... I'd have them lower, if possible. But, the spread from the Radions being a bit higher works better for my setup....

David_Todorov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the data, I think the pros are going to be the way I go. Plus the XHOs don't come with the dimmers either

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, hope this can help someone out!

For those that are considering the Reef Brite XHO or Lumi Lite Pro LEDs for supplemental lighting, here are some interesting and somewhat disappointing results when they are compared. Both lights are actinic and full power. Both numbers are averaged from multiple tests along the strip. Measurements were taken with an Apogee MQ-510.

Lights are both 10” above water, 1 strip for each light:

Reef Brite XHO-

• Top (about 2” from surface of water)- 100 PAR
  • Top 1/3 (8” from surface, 18” from light) – 80 PAR
  • Middle (12” from surface, 22” from light) – 68 PAR
  • Bottom 1/3 (16” from surface, 26” from light)- 65 PAR
  • Sand (24” from surface, 34” from light)- 65 PAR
Reef Brite Lumi Lite Pro-

• Top (about 2” from surface of water)- 110 PAR
  • Top 1/3 (8” from surface, 18” from light)– 93 PAR
  • Middle (12” from surface, 22” from light)– 83 PAR
  • Bottom 1/316” from surface, 26” from light)- 55 PAR
  • Sand (24” from surface, 34” from light)- 46 PAR
So, as it appears, the XHO have better penetration in terms of depth, but lack in PAR for the top ½ of the tank. So, if you’re looking to add supplemental lighting to the bottom of your tank, the XHOs may be a better choice. But, if you’re looking to add supplemental lighting to the top ½ of your tank (of course depending on height), the Lumi Lite Pros may be a better choice.

With the Lumi Lite Pros being $230 and the XHOs being $396 (both were 60” models), I can’t necessarily say the XHOs are worth the extra cost. Also, on a non-PAR related note, the Lumi Lite Pros have a visibly better “blanketing” effect than the XHOs… They are aesthetically superior in my opinion, more reminiscent of T5s.
More than 2 years after you posted this, I used the information. Thank for taking the time in the first place to do it. Your post was very helpful.

Back