OP
T

TorontoReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Monday I went to Fragbox (which I’m very grateful if my LFS) to trade in most of the corals out of the Studio 12… and I even made it on Fragbox TV!

I decided to upgrade the pump to the Sicce 1.0 and added a dual nozzle random flow generator as well. I’m really hopeful that this will give me enough flow for the Acropora tank without having to clutter it up with a power head. Unfortunately they didn’t have the Carib Sea Liferock nano arches that I wanted but I was able to get them shipped and they arrived intact (which I was a bit concerned about). In hindsight I didn’t need the pack of 4 and currently have 2 posted for sale on Kijiji.

I was planning on making a complicated negative space aquascape but I think I will chicken out and just put two arches together. I’ve tried all the combinations and I think this one is the best. I am trying to have as little rock touching the sand bed as possible to help with flow. I am trying to resist the urge to fill the tank with rock since the corals will (hopefully) fill it in.

The next step is to give the rock a good rinse and take the old rock work out of the tank. There hasn’t been much interest in purchasing the anacropora or encrusting corals so I think I will save one of each of the anacropora to start the new tank off with and try to save a piece of each of the encrusting corals for my larger tank. I have also bought a new proper stand because my garage sale stand isn’t as sturdy as I would like and I am having visions of the stand collapsing and dumping salt water all over the electrics. Hopefully most of that will happen on Monday.

I am going to keep the sand bed so hopefully it won’t take too long before it is ready for corals. I figure by keeping a small piece of each of the anacropora I will have a good idea of when it’s ready for the acros.

I think I have a plan and fingers crossed it all goes smoothly !

Attachments

• 914AC898-DF5A-4CF4-B7A6-D00E7DCFA4B2.jpeg
    914AC898-DF5A-4CF4-B7A6-D00E7DCFA4B2.jpeg
    225 KB · Views: 71
OP
OP
T

TorontoReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a big week for both my tanks! Tuesday was the big switchover day. Since I also bought a proper stand for the Studio 12 tank I had to take all of the equipment out of the old stand. I figured while I had everything disassembled I would also clean my gear in my big tank and also clean the sump. Needless to say that took the better part of the day. I think I did a better job of wiring this time, it's not great but atleast all of the powerbars etc. are off the ground. SInce I have 2 tanks hooked up to my Apex there are a lot of wires!

In terms of the tank I took out 90% of the water so I was able to take off the stand without risking breaking it. I decided to keep all of the live sand and just add new rocks and water. Once I put the new tank back up on the stand I added the rockwork and refilled it. Since the rockwork was pretty stable I decided to just use coral glue to attach the two pieces rather than go through the hassle of mixing mortar.. it seems to be holding up. I am going to keep 3 pieces of anacropora from version 1 of the tank as well as the orange plate coral and the Raptors Peace favia but other than that it will be all new corals.

Since I will be growing acros in this tank (hopefully!) I have changed the spectrum to be quite a bit whiter, since I find that hard corals look better under whiter lights. Right now I am at 80% navy blue/violet, 40% white and 25% light blue. I think I will probably end up running the navy blues at 100% eventually but I will ramp them up slowly.

In terms of corals I ordered a handful from Fragbox that I will be picking up next week... I hope the tank's biome wasn't disrupted too badly and they do well but there was a sale on SPS corals so I couldn't resist!

Attachments

• 77995458-653C-48AC-9AB9-FE98EED6CEC3.jpeg
    77995458-653C-48AC-9AB9-FE98EED6CEC3.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 61
  • C1ABB6F4-AD2A-4BBA-B12A-D44305D2C1EC.jpeg
    C1ABB6F4-AD2A-4BBA-B12A-D44305D2C1EC.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 6EEC6E67-3DA3-48BF-AF53-D33236C17CA9.jpeg
    6EEC6E67-3DA3-48BF-AF53-D33236C17CA9.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DD342CD7-2AD4-413C-B401-C5F754687E0B.jpeg
    DD342CD7-2AD4-413C-B401-C5F754687E0B.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 8E6AF2D4-0486-4530-8590-F1B63A425487.jpeg
    8E6AF2D4-0486-4530-8590-F1B63A425487.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 53

Xantolegax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! it seems that the tank is going really good! Can you post the light schedule you are using with the halo? I have the same light and it seems that my hammer shirnks with the schedule they have on their website. Thank you

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a big week for both my tanks! Tuesday was the big switchover day. Since I also bought a proper stand for the Studio 12 tank I had to take all of the equipment out of the old stand. I figured while I had everything disassembled I would also clean my gear in my big tank and also clean the sump. Needless to say that took the better part of the day. I think I did a better job of wiring this time, it's not great but atleast all of the powerbars etc. are off the ground. SInce I have 2 tanks hooked up to my Apex there are a lot of wires!

In terms of the tank I took out 90% of the water so I was able to take off the stand without risking breaking it. I decided to keep all of the live sand and just add new rocks and water. Once I put the new tank back up on the stand I added the rockwork and refilled it. Since the rockwork was pretty stable I decided to just use coral glue to attach the two pieces rather than go through the hassle of mixing mortar.. it seems to be holding up. I am going to keep 3 pieces of anacropora from version 1 of the tank as well as the orange plate coral and the Raptors Peace favia but other than that it will be all new corals.

Since I will be growing acros in this tank (hopefully!) I have changed the spectrum to be quite a bit whiter, since I find that hard corals look better under whiter lights. Right now I am at 80% navy blue/violet, 40% white and 25% light blue. I think I will probably end up running the navy blues at 100% eventually but I will ramp them up slowly.

In terms of corals I ordered a handful from Fragbox that I will be picking up next week... I hope the tank's biome wasn't disrupted too badly and they do well but there was a sale on SPS corals so I couldn't resist!
would love to see an update on the tank!! and what livestock you have in there!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back