Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #151 Yellow Tang Coloration

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day [HASHTAG]#151[/HASHTAG]
All of us know and appreciate the bright yellow color in yellow tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens).

Unfortunately, it is surprisingly difficult to find exact identification of the chemical structure(s) producing this yellow color (I could not do so). Other zebrasoma tangs and many marine tropical fish contain carotenoids that provide the color. The related species Zebrasoma veliferum with yellow and brown coloration contains a mix of at least six different carotenoids (tunaxanthin, neothxanthin, zeaxanthin, lutein, alpha-cryptoxanthin, and unidentified carotenoid(s)), with zeaxanthin being the most abundant:

zeaxanthin structure:

imgb0001.png

The question is, what is the ultimate origin of the carotenoids used to produce color in a yellow tang?

A. The algae that the fish eat contain the carotenoids as is.
B. The algae the they eat provide a basic carotenoid structure that the fish modify chemically
C. Microorganisms (bacteria, tiny crustaceans, etc.) on the algae that they eat provide the carotenoids as is.
D. Microorganisms (bacteria, tiny crustaceans, etc.) on the algae a basic carotenoid structure that the fish modify chemically
E. The fish synthesize the needed carotenoids from unpigmented molecules.

There will be a follow up question in a day or two. :)

Good luck!

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not idea on this one. betcha it does have something to do with algae though.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I think the answer is a combination of different choices. I picked this question because it shows how chemicals produced in one organism (such as algae) are taken by another (like a fish) and used for a totally different purpose (to color the fish, for example, rather than photoprotect the algae).

There are a variety of carotenoids produced in photosynthetic organisms (such as algae, diatoms, and cyanobacteria) that serve to protect them from damage from too much light. These papers have more:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/000527289090088L
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1011134401001506
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00350335

Organisms such as fish that eat foods with these pigments in them them take and use the pigments for their own purposes. They also chemically modify them to get a particular structure of variety of structures that give them a particular color.

This paper has more details on fish::

The Carotenoids in Tropical Marine Yellow Fish
http://ir.kagoshima-u.ac.jp/bitstream/10232/13108/1/AN00040498_v27-1_p29-33.pdf

chadb202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, those articles are WAAAAAYYYYYY over my head. I have a yellow Tang that is not very yellow. Any suggestions on what to do or feed him to help him get more color ?

chadb202

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding it now?

How long have you had it?

Any other tangs in the tank?
I got the tank for free from a friend a few months ago. It's a 75. It has a yellow tang, hippo tang, and a naso. I know I have to deal with the tang issue. Too much in the tank. Just haven't done it yet. They get a mixture of green , purple , and red seaweed.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the tank for free from a friend a few months ago. It's a 75. It has a yellow tang, hippo tang, and a naso. I know I have to deal with the tang issue. Too much in the tank. Just haven't done it yet. They get a mixture of green , purple , and red seaweed.

Could be that it is stressed too much. The diet sounds OK.

Back