Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #163 Unknown Molecule

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The molecule shown below in a 3D diagram is shown in two different forms, both of which are present in normal reef aquaria.

What is the most likely identity of this molecule?

A. Ammonia/ammonium
B. Borate/Boric Acid
C. two forms of phosphate
D. Nitrate and nitrite
E. Bicarbonate/carbonate

ZxrRsuD6rptTZUJVMqevq448BvpNPLQinHpNZOXdTbTzuYprhmGFH16_Tgawv9wDEHjWMlb_9ZORU9vIEUDft582SWK2EoNThX5nNG3XqR3KBOVYpJRX_20QdHWjmLqTa8Ir1_mWqNVu-Rj7GA6k1Xz_LRBFphrZ-ikeF7Ulk_8HT_bwSlE0F3RjReDDiHh4sSeCiUEYJWFLyCdX4N-5YFLb5yzLw5SaKkFVJc_X2QrYaKj0IDdt06gvxgp7Ae7QAR-iRx4s1edPMIZLTp_OfInK-sciAW-nvEbo6r8j0YNiB1kCNCkrZixIbc5w-UiMiKWvW7CQiGQ6xRwsf3ZDieZzI4M3QEUSJKbSXRoKGr5MKS_vA_moQhdX2DaUxJOvGRHwlVRkoWMTZ_5zlRFnjzu4_KGmCsyGThb4enkBdbL3sd_X_QWF02lriOgniQ0xWBkzBUXmIhBZ64d7j24mulYySpuNZSLVoIDi-Mmv_Cf56o-1c09NnZ6torJDyV5EICW_uBQv4-DfKGPXGGBsmdtZDTp9luYm0_76h7ojR7z4d9NSaDmw4d1zEgJV5h3ou3HX=w760-h399-no

Good luck!

Last edited:

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The colors are not what I am used to for atoms. Assuming each colored ball is an atom and that the blue are H and the Red are O I'm going to go with B as well. Too many atoms for the others. My inorganic chemistry is pretty rusty, so much for that Chemistry degree I never use.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. But how can you tell without an elemental description on the atoms?

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. But how can you tell without an elemental description on the atoms?
You can infer. For example, the small blue atom is most likely hydrogen. That would make the larger red atoms oxygen, so the red/blue combinations are hydroxyl functional groups (OH-).

Of the choices presented, only "B. Borate / Boric Acid" makes sense, given the tetrahedral OH- configuration shown on the left.

SethOF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon closer inspection, I think the correct answer is B. Borate/Boric Acid. The colored ball represent different atoms, borate has 3, ammonia has only 2

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can infer. For example, the small blue atom is most likely hydrogen. That would make the larger red atoms oxygen, so the red/blue combinations are hydroxyl functional groups (OH-).

Of the choices presented, only "B. Borate / Boric Acid" makes sense, given the tetrahedral OH- configuration shown on the left.

Thats cool. What is the big yellow one, an atom? Theres only one of those.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big yellow one would be an atom of boron, the red ones of oxygen, the blue ones hydrogen in this context.

So the others dont have a big central atom? Ammonia and the others?

Taservices

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, In ammonia/ammonium case that central atom would be nitrogen. The issue isn't the central atom, it is with the small blue ones on the outer edge.

All the options could be correct if it wasn't for that layer of blue atoms.

the diagram has three unique atoms

Ammonia/ ammonium has 2 : nitrogen and hydrogen

phosphate has 2 : phosphorus and oxygen

nitrate and nitrite have 2 : nitrogen and oxygen

bicarbonate/ carbonate have 2 : carbon and oxygen

borate/boric acid has 3 : boron, oxygen, and hydrogen ........................WINNER

........although now that I think of it borate only has 2...... boron and oxygen, but in boric acid form it has all three......

this raises a bit of a wrinkle since both diagrams have an outer shell of atoms.

Possible but unlikely solution: If for whatever reason the blue sphere represents free bonding sites on an oxygen (which is weird as all hell btw) I think E would be the answer as it is <i>possible<i/> that the diagram on the right not having a visible blue sphere on all red spheres could represent a double bond in the carbonate form (and thus no free bonding site). I think it is more likely though that there is a blue sphere just oriented behind the rightmost red sphere.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This can be a fairly difficult question. I've been surprisingly impressed with the discussion so far.

From the shapes and arrangements, one can make certain conclusions that rule out one or another of the choices, even without knowing the atom identities.

So, for example, molecules of the form AB3 can have a number of different arrangements. It can, for example, be planar (flat) with the A in the middle and the B's around it. Or it can have the A at the top of a pyramid, and the B's all below it. That is one way to distinguish NH3 from B(OH)3, even if one cannot distinguish the atoms themselves. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who like to totally cheat on such questions (and don't do this if you want to figure it out yourself), you can right click on pictures like the one above, and search google for the image. It is in one of my articles. :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back