Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #280: Which is the best analogy of ion spacing in seawater?

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very cool! Thanks for posting it. Are you a professional modeler of some sort?

I would just caution that the apparent spacing in 2D is closer than the reality of 3D, if you just took the ratio of water and ions and mixed them together in 2D (not sure if that's what you did or not). Extrapolating to 1D (just spacing all the water and ions on a line), the relative spacing error would much worse (about 1 ion per 55 water molecules in a line).

Thanks! Yup, computational biophysicist here!

The simulation was in 3D, but I agree that it looks closer when projected in 2D. They also look closer when the solvent isn't shown as spheres (but they would block out all the ions). Here's an updated video rotating the system, with the ions only. I should note that I updated the van der Waals radii to reflect the radius of the charged state (i.e. instead of Na, radius is Na+)

Showing everything as spheres, including water (orange and white now), the ions look more sparse.

And just because I'm having too much fun, I calculated the distance between each ion and its closest ionic neighbor for the last 10 frames of the sim (results are approx since its a short sim in a small box). As others have pointed out, ions are not uniformly distributed! I've also broken this down on a per-ion basis. For comparison, the dodecahedron box is ~6 nm in width.

dists_avg.png

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have re-thought this 100 times lol. Unless (which obviously there is) I'm missing something obvious - All of the analogies have some problems - BUT I'm going to change my vote to the 747.

There are different people in the plane - plus the cabin staff. Usually when the plane is nearly empty, the people (let's call them the ions) can move around freely. And the Empty seats could represent the water molecules in the shell bound to the ions - Since there (to my understanding) far more water molecules than ions in seawater. So I'm changing from the cats to B.
Sorry, I have to disagree. By definition, an ion is a positive or negative charged atom or group of atoms(molecule). So a charged atom is searching for an opposite charged atom. Negative attracts positive and vice versa

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have to disagree. By definition, an ion is a positive or negative charged atom or group of atoms(molecule). So a charged atom is searching for an opposite charged atom. Negative attracts positive and vice versa
This is partly true, however, water is a very polar molecule (containing positive and negative charge). That means that both positive and negative ions can freely associate with water molecules, which effectively screen their charge. Ions can (and do) associate with each other in solvent, but the energy difference between forming and breaking their bonds is actually pretty small. Water tends to form "cages" around ions!

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is partly true, however, water is a very polar molecule (containing positive and negative charge). That means that both positive and negative ions can freely associate with water molecules, which effectively screen their charge. Ions can (and do) associate with each other in solvent, but the energy difference between forming and breaking their bonds is actually pretty small. Water tends to form "cages" around ions!

Yes! Forgot that part of the equation. I am digging deep into the memory banks of when I had to read "Morrison and Boyd" forty plus years ago.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True - BUT - for example - doesn't the link below look like a 747 with 4 passengers and other empty seats? This is another one where Randy is keeping everyone is suspense......
https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/water-molecules-and-their-interaction-salt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Yup, computational biophysicist here!

The simulation was in 3D, but I agree that it looks closer when projected in 2D. They also look closer when the solvent isn't shown as spheres (but they would block out all the ions). Here's an updated video rotating the system, with the ions only. I should note that I updated the van der Waals radii to reflect the radius of the charged state (i.e. instead of Na, radius is Na+)

Showing everything as spheres, including water (orange and white now), the ions look more sparse.

And just because I'm having too much fun, I calculated the distance between each ion and its closest ionic neighbor for the last 10 frames of the sim (results are approx since its a short sim in a small box). As others have pointed out, ions are not uniformly distributed! I've also broken this down on a per-ion basis. For comparison, the dodecahedron box is ~6 nm in width.

dists_avg.png

This is great! Thanks for all of it!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True - BUT - for example - doesn't the link below look like a 747 with 4 passengers and other empty seats? This is another
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #280:

Which of the following is the best analogy of ion spacing in seawater?

A. The ions in seawater are spaced like a 20 ducks on a 1 acre pond
B. The ions in seawater are spaced like 4 people on a 747 jet
C. The ions in seawater are spaced like 2 ice cubes in a glass of water
D. The ions in seawater are spaced like 3 kittens in a single carrier.

Yes, I know, it's an odd way to ask the question, but I think many reefers have little intuition of what the relevant spacing is and I hope we can learn from it.

Hint: There was a relevant Reef Chemistry question of the day about 5 years ago. lol

Previous Reef Chemistry Question of the Day:

So, what is the answer?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is:

As both Jim and I calculated with slightly different assumptions, the spacing between ions in seawater is about 3 water molecules (suprisingly close, IMO). That makes it closes to 2 ice cubes in a glass of water, which might be spaced out by about 3 times their own size

Happy Reefing! :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And the answer is:

As both Jim and I calculated with slightly different assumptions, the spacing between ions in seawater is about 3 water molecules (suprisingly close, IMO). That makes it closes to 2 ice cubes in a glass of water, which might be spaced out by about 3 times their own size

Happy Reefing! :)
I was under the impression that: "The result: the hydration shells of the different ions contain between two and 21 water molecules. The exact number depends, for instance, on the size of the ion and its valency", based on a couple of papers? Can you explain, how you do a calculation (like you and Jim did), when you don't know the size of the ice cubes related to the size of the glass/container. In other words, how do you calculate 'how close' the ice cubes are together when you don't know their size? Once again - you've provided an interesting discussion!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that: "The result: the hydration shells of the different ions contain between two and 21 water molecules. The exact number depends, for instance, on the size of the ion and its valency", based on a couple of papers? Can you explain, how you do a calculation (like you and Jim did), when you don't know the size of the ice cubes related to the size of the glass/container. In other words, how do you calculate 'how close' the ice cubes are together when you don't know their size? Once again - you've provided an interesting discussion!

In this specific scenario, we were measuring ion to ion, not hydrated sphere to hydrated sphere. I counted water molecules between the ions, whether strongly interacting with the ion or not, as water between them.

The hydration sphere is typically about one water molecule thick. 21 molecules sounds like a lot but that is likely only for a very large multi-atom ion (such as sulfate, where it might have about 12) in three dimensions.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spacing of ions in seawater is equivalent to Nicholas Cage B movies among all other releases in any given year.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In this specific scenario, we were measuring ion to ion, not hydrated sphere to hydrated sphere. I counted water molecules between the ions, whether strongly interacting with the ion or not, as water between them.

The hydration sphere is typically about one water molecule thick. 21 molecules sounds like a lot but that is likely only for a very large multi-atom ion (such as sulfate, where it might have about 12) in three dimensions.
AHHHHHHHHHHH.... Well then.... I'll just make the point that the plane (to me) was better. Different people (different ions), I was picturing the seats as the water ions. My bad. Granted I was wrong on the cats lol:)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back