Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #281: Alkalinity You May Not See

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day 281

All of the following are incorporated into commercial supplements. Which of the following will not boost alkalinity in a normal reef tank with regular dosing?

1. Calcium acetate
2. Calcium formate
3. Calcium polygluconate
4. Calcium carbonate
5. Calcium oxide
6. Calcium hydroxide

Good luck and Happy Reefing!

Previous reef chemistry question of the day:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium carbonate. It is insoluble that won’t dissolve unless the pH gets very low (to the point where coral skeletons will slowly dissolve).

It would work in a calcium reactor, but just dosing it is like dosing the KorrallenZucht Coral Snow water clarifier.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium acetate -- isn't that what brightwell's reef code A contains? I'll guess that one then :p

Edit: nope. +1 for calcium carbonate

Last edited:

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a normal reef tank
Why do you keep saying “normal“ reef tank? What’s an abnormal reef tank?

I’m asking in a curious way. I noticed you say normal reef tank a lot in different scenarios.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you keep saying “normal“ reef tank? What’s an abnormal reef tank?

I’m asking in a curious way. I noticed you say normal reef tank a lot in different scenarios.

That's a good question.

It's just my catch-all phrase to eliminate from consideration situations that may exist in other sorts of aquariums (freshwater, etc.) or natural waters (including weird ones like hydrothermal vents, etc.) or wastewater or whatever else someone might think of or google that may have a different answer than the conditions in a reef aquarium.

FWIW, one of the answers in this question changes if the answer is applied to a reef aquarium at pH 7.4 and an alk of 7 dKH. That would be an abnormal reef tank, IMO, so that would not be a correct answer.

jbrady429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going with calcium polygluconate. That would raise calcium levels but not alkalinity, I believe.
I’m wrong about this. Randy pointed out in a previous post that the biological processes that cause corals to take up calcium from the polygluconate also produce alkalinity. There’s an important point to understand here, in that biological processes can add alkalinity to the tank in addition to what we’re intentionally dosing.

I’m going with calcium carbonate as well, as that precipitates out into a solid under “normal” aquarium conditions.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is:

All of the following are incorporated into commercial supplements. Which of the following will not boost alkalinity in a normal reef tank with regular dosing?

1. Calcium acetate
2. Calcium formate
3. Calcium polygluconate

4. Calcium carbonate
5. Calcium oxide
6. Calcium hydroxide

Calcium carbonate is supersaturated in normal seawater at any pH above about 7.7. Thus, if you add some, it will not dissolve.

All of the others add alkalinity. Some of them (formate, acetate, polygluconate) require metabolism by organisms to detect most or all of it.

Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide (the hydrated form of calcium oxide0 are suitable for making limewater (kalkwasser).

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is:

1. Calcium acetate
2. Calcium formate
3. Calcium polygluconate

4. Calcium carbonate
5. Calcium oxide
6. Calcium hydroxide

Calcium carbonate is supersaturated in normal seawater at any pH above about 7.7. Thus, if you add some, it will not dissolve.

All of the others add alkalinity. Some of them (formate, acetate, polygluconate) require metabolism by organisms to detect most or all of it.

Calcium oxide and calcium hydroxide (the hydrated form of calcium oxide0 are suitable for making limewater (kalkwasser).
Scared me for a minute! I read that wrong haha! I was like I use that every other day to clean my tank and I haven’t had any issues! I thought I was just lucky for a second.. I use that and mb7 to clean my water and rocks.. Sunny’s diy coral snow..

Back