Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #60 Gas Exchange 1

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #60

This is the first of several questions relating to gas exchange in coral reef aquariums. This first one addresses how much total oxygen and carbon dioxide are present in our coral reefs.

Imagine that I have a device that can strip out all of a single gas from an aquarium. I can accomplish this, for example, by completely aerating the water with normal air that has none of the gas in question in it.

I start with two totally identical aquariums. I use that device over a period of a couple of hours to strip out all of the oxygen (as O2) from the water of one of them, and I use it similarly on the second one to strip out all of the carbon dioxide (as CO2).

When I measure what was removed by analyzing the used air that I collected after the aeration, what do I find?

A. The amount of O2 removed is far higher than the amount of CO2.
B. The amount of CO2 is far higher than the amount of O2.
C. The amount of O2 and CO2 is roughly the same (within a factor of 2).
D. Since the amount of these varies tank to tank and with the time of day, even in two identical tanks the answer could be A or B or C depending on the nature of the two identical tanks.

Good luck!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 20celcius seawater holds 9.1mg/l of oxygen, but at 20c seawater holds grams of carbon dioxide. So is guess b, co2 would be more.

But since you diddnt say what the salinity was, or the temperature, or the pressure, since these things effect the concentration, the answer could also be e, it depends on other factors, but I'm sticking with b, final answer. :)

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually disregard the co2 being grams in seawater that's not true haha.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the tanks in the same room? CO2 is in equilibrium (as is O2) with the air surrounding it but CO2 levels in air vary a whole lot more than 02. So I say D

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the tanks in the same room? CO2 is in equilibrium (as is O2) with the air surrounding it but CO2 levels in air vary a whole lot more than 02. So I say D

Yes, they are in the same room. :)

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
Atmospheric O2 is like 16% or something like that whereas co2 is like 380 ppm - far far less so assuming equilibrium between the atmosphere and the water (I'm not sure you can do this) O2 would be many times greater

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the co2 in seawater is hco2 at ph 8.2?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...B. The amount of CO2 is far higher than the amount of O2. Paintguru was first to get the right answer. :)

In normal seawater the amount of dissolved O2 at saturation with normal air at 25 deg C is about 206 umole O2 per kg of seawater, or about 6.6 ppm.

In normal seawater the total amount of dissolved CO2 at saturation with normal air at 25 deg C varies a bit with latitude and other factors, but in the equatorial Pacific it is about is about 2050 umole CO2 per kg of seawater, or about 90 ppm.

Much of the carbon dioxide in seawater is held in the bicarbonate and the carbonate. As you strip away the CO2, the bicarbonate and carbonate fall apart into hydroxide and CO2, leaving behind higher pH seawater:

HCO3- --> CO2 + OH-
CO3-- + H2O --> CO2 +
2OH-

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back