Reef clubs

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a few in Texas, but it seems like they are dying off.
I was a member of a couple in Wisconsin that were amazing, and I would love to be part of that family again.
We gathered once a month at someone's home for lots of drinks and talking.. even got a few goodies out of people's tanks they fragged for a price. We would all drop what we were doing and helped others in emergencies or just on the weekend to move and upgrade tanks.
I don't see that here at all.. most of the people I talk with have someone come over and care for their tank.. it's actually depressing.

I'm located in Flower Mound. Anyone else near here that would want to get a small group started with me and many grow it larger over time?

Heathd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always DFWMAS?

I'm open to helping when I can. I'm basically getting back in the hobby after being out for a few years so I may be a little rusty.

OP
OP
KorD

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is always DFWMAS?

I'm open to helping when I can. I'm basically getting back in the hobby after being out for a few years so I may be a little rusty.
DFWMAS does not really.do a lot from what I see. I'm looking for more of a tight-knit close group of reefers.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFWMAS is probably the most "active" and really that isn't saying much. It used to be much more active, but I guess the owner(s) of the club kind of gave up or something. You might try reaching out to Melev and see what he has to say.

I just checked DFWMAS website and they are having a meeting on June 20th and 25th. Might try reaching out and seeing if you can attend just to get an idea of whether you want to join or not. Looks like they are electing new Board of Directors, so maybe the club will grow again. I will say their frag swaps are usually pretty good, but the last time I went was a couple years ago.

Just checked and looks like North Texas Reef Fanatics(NTRF) finally went under. That site was dead for a long time too.

From what I can tell a lot of the local community has moved to Facebook. I joined a couple Facebook groups and see a lot of posts on a daily basis.

Heathd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFWMAS does still have monthly events, whether it be club meetings, tours, frag swaps.....

Community engagement seems to have fallen way off after MACNA came to town. Things sort of fizzled, and the forums just aren't as active. They do have a FB page that seems to be slightly more active.

Other then that, its like @erk said, local FB groups but I find most of those are basically coral sale/swaps.

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a few in Texas, but it seems like they are dying off.
I was a member of a couple in Wisconsin that were amazing, and I would love to be part of that family again.
We gathered once a month at someone's home for lots of drinks and talking.. even got a few goodies out of people's tanks they fragged for a price. We would all drop what we were doing and helped others in emergencies or just on the weekend to move and upgrade tanks.
I don't see that here at all.. most of the people I talk with have someone come over and care for their tank.. it's actually depressing.

I'm located in Flower Mound. Anyone else near here that would want to get a small group started with me and many grow it larger over time?
I feel your pain ...I am in the Panhandle but a transplanted Yankee and the only type of fish clubs here are to go fishing. Not opposed but reefing? Unheard of basically. People here have their tanks set up but don't care fir them themselves and no interest in much else. If it were not for R2R and one of three LFS's I trust, I would have nothing. Gladly I ran fish rooms but it's a brave New reef tank world. Sadly I am swimming upstream alone with no one local . It's no fun. Ok..no more venting but it's the truth!

HunterW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DFWMAS is probably the most "active" and really that isn't saying much. It used to be much more active, but I guess the owner(s) of the club kind of gave up or something. You might try reaching out to Melev and see what he has to say.

I just checked DFWMAS website and they are having a meeting on June 20th and 25th. Might try reaching out and seeing if you can attend just to get an idea of whether you want to join or not. Looks like they are electing new Board of Directors, so maybe the club will grow again. I will say their frag swaps are usually pretty good, but the last time I went was a couple years ago.

Just checked and looks like North Texas Reef Fanatics(NTRF) finally went under. That site was dead for a long time too.

From what I can tell a lot of the local community has moved to Facebook. I joined a couple Facebook groups and see a lot of posts on a daily basis.
I joined Club Meleve and Rotter Tube, and do alot of YT and being here. Miss DFW area at least there's more sw peeps there.

Trikflow77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back into the hobby, dfwmas is the only thing I have found so far in the Dallas area, and they don’t seem very active anymore. Well at least their forums aren’t.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back into the hobby, dfwmas is the only thing I have found so far in the Dallas area, and they don’t seem very active anymore. Well at least their forums aren’t.
Most of it's gone to Facebook I think, which I think is a horrible format. But there are several DFWMAS members on this board, I am a member.

Trikflow77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of it's gone to Facebook I think, which I think is a horrible format. But there are several DFWMAS members on this board, I am a member.

I’m one of those few people that never signed up for Facebook, so that doesn’t really help me! I’m thinking about joining dfwmas to support the cause though.

Thanks for the info!

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m one of those few people that never signed up for Facebook, so that doesn’t really help me! I’m thinking about joining dfwmas to support the cause though.

Thanks for the info!
It's worth it if you shop local, several LFS will give a discount with the membership card. Couple buckets of salt and the membership pays for itself.

They have been running some Facebook contests lately, like last month was a $250 gift cert to DNA. Theres another going on right now. I have kept my Facebook page solely for these type contests.. granted the ones I have won were here on R2R and didnt require Facebook..

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I raised my kids in FM. Now retired. Live in Emory Texas now on Lake Fork, but do make it back there for sure. I set up a tank in January this year. Red Sea 350. LPS Corals, blood and cleaner shrimp, arrow crab, 2 pairs of clowns, Kole tang, dodyback, 3 fire fish, and a sand sifting goby .... Anyway, l am interested in connecting with a few other refers. Went on vacation this summer and tank babysitting is a challenge. Brother in law helped but he is not a refer. ?? Wonder if there are others close to Emory also.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back