Reef Conversations: Do you talk to your friends and family about your reef?

Do you actively promote reefing to your family and friends? How would you describe your outreach:

• Shhh! - I don't talk about reefing

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • Easy does it - I talk about reefing when it comes up in conversation

Votes: 185 53.2%
  • Did I ever tell you? - I actively bring up reefing in conversation

Votes: 111 31.9%
  • Reefing is life!!! - From my clothing to the stickers on my car, my life revolves around reefing

Votes: 24 6.9%

• Total voters

Silv3rSubieDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife usually comes by the tank and will give some what's this? What's that? Questions followed up by the names of the things she knows! My uncle who got me into aquariums 30ish years ago came by recently to meet my newborn and he and I had some good tank talk that I don't have often!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rarely with my family. Often with my friends because most of them are reefers. If it was not for reefing I probably would be a hermit and talk to nobody anyway

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conversation usually resolve around me explaining to everyone how lucky they are to be in sight of a modern marvel. They just look at me like in speaking a different language and sometimes I keep talking bc I have to get it out. Right now my 4 year old son is the brunt of this but it's amazing that he actually remembers all the names. He calls green slimer green slimy and my Milka stylo an octopus

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone asks what I do for fun, or what I'm doing in my spare time lately, then I'll tell them.

My friends know (well, not about this new project yet), and they'll politely ask a question now and then, but I try not to make their eyes glaze over. (They know I'm not normal :zany-face: .)

My aunts and cousins love me, but they do not undersand. Nope, not at all. They think it's a lot of work and money. (It's okay; I think shopping for and dusting trinkets is also a lot of work and money! :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
ignore tank.jpg

iFunnny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I post pics and vids of my tanks and inhabitants every few days and friends reach out sometime to say they wanna visit and see all the pretty stuff! and then i get to talk about all the geeky stuff, its fun!

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tailor it to the audience and interest, which more often than not are people who don’t even notice the tank. I keep conversations when not near the tank extremely limited unless they are obviously in the hobby.

Even family members who enjoy similar (have a brother who likes planted tanks) hobbies can only take short bursts of anything meaningful before their eyes glaze over, so I just respect that.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a reefer come over to do some trades. When he left my wife gave me some feedback. She said I think you where talking and wanting to show him too much and he clearly was in a rush. Lol. I said it's the first reefer seeing my tank I was excited that someone understood the crap that was was coming out my mouth. I was more excited to show a fellow reefer my tank than getting corals

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make it a point to kidnap people, tie them to a chair, put them at gunpoint and talk to them about clownfish breeding. plus you can hold them for ransom and get more money for corals! Win Win!
Good idea…I may go ahead with that plan then ;) :winking-face-with-tongue: :grinning-squinting-face:

Fish_Fry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had more friends I could talk to about the hobby. It's usually quick conversations when people come over and see the tank. I also have a 5 gallon FW planted cherry shrimp tank in my office at work. I find it's a great conversation starter and people always ask about it, but not to any deep extent.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back