Reef Conversations: Do you talk to your friends and family about your reef?

Do you actively promote reefing to your family and friends? How would you describe your outreach:

• Shhh! - I don't talk about reefing

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • Easy does it - I talk about reefing when it comes up in conversation

Votes: 185 53.2%
  • Did I ever tell you? - I actively bring up reefing in conversation

Votes: 111 31.9%
  • Reefing is life!!! - From my clothing to the stickers on my car, my life revolves around reefing

Votes: 24 6.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef conversations or brief conversations - how do you go about sharing your reef experience with non-reefers? I was on a phone call recently with a friend and they mentioned a new co-worker who has a saltwater tank - they added that they would like to occasionally ask about the tank, but they know it will be at least a 15 minute conversation. There is some interest, but not that much. Do you talk with non-reefers about reefing? How do you share without overwhelming the other person? Tell us about your approach and your experiences in the discussion below.

1 - explaining.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do it allot more, but my ex wife used to really not like it and so I learned to keep my enthusiasm to myself. Now I will mention brief things to people that are interesting and short, and I also try to be really aware of who is actually interested and who is just being polite.

Whiskey

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an emergency responder so I need my family to know how to take care of the tanks. Luckily they're pretty into it. Friends and colleagues couldn't care less.

On that note seems like my water quality is pretty terrible. Do I need a better skimmer?
tempImagesbax0r.png
IMG_4649.jpeg

Last edited:

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one cared except my 10 yr old daughter, she could name all the equipment and how it works but that's it.
I wish my old friend would start up his tank again, we spent hours just looking at stuff that grew on the live rock we bought.
Yesterday I spent about 4 hours in the basement tinkering with the tank and when I went upstairs my wife asked what took me so long... lol

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is in my office at work and I regularly have clients in the office. Most conversations are general in nature and usually begin with “oh you have a Nemo”. Few clients do get into the specifics if they also have tanks. Lot of questions about the difficulty level of fresh vs salt.
Unfortunately my family at home have just about zero interest in the home tanks.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother-in-law walked by my tanks and didn't even stop to look yesterday. The small grandkids like them. Not much interest in general. Occasionally someone will come to work on the house and be excited to see them. Usually someone that used to dive. I have met one other person that had a small tank.

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that the vast majority of people who aren't actually in the hobby, are just being polite when they ask about the tank.

I'll start very high level with those individuals, and if they display further interest (asking more detailed questions, showing enthusiasm, etc) then I'll get more granular.

Other than that, I feel as though a great reef tank speaks for itself... As a newer guy I feel like it's pretentious/disingenuous to talk a big game when my tank has virtually no livestock...

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3 year-old niece loves to see the fish. More often than not she wants to call either the fish or the dog. other than that, a passing reference in conversation but I try to keep it low key.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I feel like it's the only interesting thing I have to talk about :thinking-face: well now that I think about it it is lol. Fortunately I'm somewhat of a recluse so I don't have to talk to many people. I do miss conversations with my Granddaughters who were really into the tanks but the family has moved out if state :loudly-crying-face: My dogs do enjoy listening tho. This is them when I asked the why the $#**&$ skimmer was overflowing yesterday 20221003_222707.jpg

AwakenedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an emergency responder so I need my family to know how to take care of the tanks. Luckily they're pretty into it. Friends and colleagues couldn't care less.

On that note seems like my water quality is pretty terrible. Do I need a better skimmer?
tempImagesbax0r.png
IMG_4649.jpeg
Probably should start doing water changes too.

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I feel like it's the only interesting thing I have to talk about :thinking-face: well now that I think about it it is lol. Fortunately I'm somewhat of a recluse so I don't have to talk to many people. I do miss conversations with my Granddaughters who were really into the tanks but the family has moved out if state :loudly-crying-face: My dogs do enjoy listening tho. This is them when I asked the why the $#**&$ skimmer was overflowing yesterday 20221003_222707.jpg
The best listeners!

Back