Reef Conversations: Do you talk to your friends and family about your reef?

Do you actively promote reefing to your family and friends? How would you describe your outreach:

• Shhh! - I don't talk about reefing

Votes: 28 8.0%
  • Easy does it - I talk about reefing when it comes up in conversation

Votes: 185 53.2%
  • Did I ever tell you? - I actively bring up reefing in conversation

Votes: 111 31.9%
  • Reefing is life!!! - From my clothing to the stickers on my car, my life revolves around reefing

Votes: 24 6.9%

• Total voters

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half my/our friends havent cared about keeping fish since they were kids. Other half is a group of reefers and we talk weekly - nothing formal. Its surprisingly our more senior neighbors who are the most interested. And they are interested lol. When cardinals had babies it was the talk of the complex lol

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I get asked all the time is "isn't that a lot of work"?
I know they are really not interested and probably think it's a lot of wasted money.
I learned to say "it's a hobby like any other hobby, any hobby with doing is work".

If they have questions, okay, if not, change the subject.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I got lucky in this arena, I don't talk to other people about my hobby unless they're on Reef2Reef, or obviously in the hobby.

My wife has taken a keen interest in the 60 gallon tank and it's inhabitants though, probably because it's in the living room. She even does the feeding and water changes.

My kids all know the basics of keeping a reef tank, and my son in law is an active reef 'enthusiast' who has had better success than I have.

And my oldest grandbaby absolutely loves the tank, and has a mind full of turning gears, so eventually I know I'll be explaining the biological and mechanical processes of my tank to her, then let her set up her own little tank in my basement.

Nheko

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 10 years old is excited about my tanks. He wakes up and feed the fishes, and can stare to the tank for a while in relaxation. I also can count with my Mini Schnauzer who sits in my lap and hears me talking for minutes about the tank. Oh please Lord don’t let them change!!!

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With five tanks in my house, it's hard to hide it. Thousands of pictures on my phone, and a dozen or so reefing shirts. My family isn't into it, but they tolerate my obsession. I find it is easier to start/join reefing groups to have people to talk to that actually understand. :grinning-squinting-face:

Kraig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are in this together so we talk about the tank together a lot. My adult daughter likes it, she sits and watches it at times, but I think at times she has heard enough about it from us :).

My mother loves to come over and check out anything new or search the tank for some of the hidden critters. I had a brother who had a fish on tank quite a few years back and I think he likes to hear what's going. The rest of the family and friends puts up with me when I bring something up but I try to keep it moderate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back