Reef crystals salt ...not liking it nowa days

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use RCS for the longest time with non-issue, stepped away from the hobbie for a couple years, came back a year ago and just not happy, I dose and keep my tank parameters very stable, every week I make my RODISW and pre test the parameters and get some small levels of phosphorus in PPB with is okay, but the cal and alk is all over the place..my mixed reef uses 2.5 mils of alk per day and 1.1 of cal per day, nitrate are 0 and ready to start dosing that but my cal is always sky high for 3 days after a water change, like 530, and mag too 1400, I think I'm going back to brightwell or red sea pro, whats funny is my alk... before WC its 8.4 after its barley goes up th 8.6, next day 7.9 and I have to start dosing alk, has anyone had these type of issues? My ckrals look fine just frustrating

20200705_113507.jpg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Crystals has always been all over the place in my experience. They dump extra calcium chloride and sodium bicarb into their mix. The product is intended for people that *don't* dose like you do and rely on water changes to replenish alk and calcium.

So, you are using the wrong product. Instant Ocean has more consistent dKH (~9 in my experience) and calcium 380-400.

Or, any "pro" grade salt mix. Typically they are lower in default alk and calcium intended for dosers and reactors.

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my last mix of RC , im gonna go back to brightwell, whats funny is my nitrate to phosphate levels... nitrates are 0 and po4 are .12 on my hanna , I don't like my nitrates that low..maybe ill feed more frozen food to raise my nitrates, havent seen a color dive yet from my sps but I'm sure it will come in time! Who would have thought after 15 years of reef keeping id be puzzled...lol but thats the love and hate of this sickness of a hobby

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably heavier salts got settled in the bucket durring shipping from vibrations. Use the whole bucket or buy the box with 4 bags in it.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 50g bags of IO mix up almost exactly the same each time. I too found a bit too much variability with using the buckets due to settling, but the bags have always been spot on.

U

User1

View Badges
I buy the box with 4 bags in them. Always work out well and consistent. If there is any mixing error it is on my part. Only thing I dislike about the salt is the brown residue on the container. It gets worse as it is stored I noticed and I'm a lazy water changer :). I will mix up 40 gallons and do a water change of about 20. Leave the rest sitting for about a month with a power head and then do another.

IO/RC holds its water chemistry for sure. But the residue that cakes on the sides and power head over time. That isn't fun although does clean up easy enough with a bit of elbow grease.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown is probably just the aminio acids/vitamins precipitate that comes with reef crystals.

U

User1

View Badges
The brown is probably just the aminio acids/vitamins precipitate that comes with reef crystals.

I believe you are right. In the most recent skimmate podcast Rich and Terence spoke briefly on salt for some reason and Rich said something similar. Vitamins or such. No big deal more or less. So yeah - I believe you hit the nail on the head.

I like the salt although I just ordered Tropic Marin bio actif salt - was interested how that would work since I"m using their DIY All For Reef recipe for dosing.

OP
OP
jstncoffman

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have great coral growth and color, but why P04 in my salt after mixing, my RODI set up is very clean and I keep it that way, and my P04 level in my RO only water basin is 0.00 P04 intrasting

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to RC salt. Until I used a different salt. I mixed 50 gallons of Tropic Marin salt with left over brown crud from RC. Phosphates was 0.24. I mixed some Tropic Marin in a different container and had 0 phosphates. RODI water tested at 0 phosphates. Cleaned out the brown crud out, no more phosphates. Never using RC again.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yet, people dose phosphates and nitrates now. RC is perfectly fine if you understand it. My only issue is the high Alk which I test and adjust with HCl. But feel free to spend twice as much on a different "better" salt.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 103 86.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back