Reef cycling and ammonia

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am about 16 days into the red sea reefer marine starter kit. I did a test using red sea test kits on day 14 and got 0 ammonia and did the test twice to confirm this. Before picking up any livestock for my tank I did a test the next morning and the day after. Both looked closer to 0.2 but I have added nothing to the tank. Have I messed up somewhere and is there something I need to do ?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I cycled my tank my redsea ammonia continued to show .2 or around that level way past when the cycle was complete. I have a seneye monitor that showed me .001 ammonia so I know it was a false reading. I’m assuming the same is happening to you. However will need to know your other test results too. Are you getting nitrates? Do you have other test results to show you have a complete cycle? Just know that false low level ammonia readings are very common. I don’t have experience with what you used to start the cycle so I can’t say for Sure if this is happening to you though. Just wanted to say it could be.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could dose ammonia and just watch if it goes down to confirm you’re cycled. I’ve never done it but you can search on here for a product. As long as it goes down you’re good. Even if you get .2 in test results since that would be false reading. What was the highest ammonia test you got? Did you see it spike and go down? My feeling is that you’re fine to add one or two fish if you did. You might want to wait til 21 days since the kit I think says it can take 21 days.

OP
OP
A

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a reading of 1.2 so it definitely has gone down after an initial spike! So I will wait a few days then get my first CUC

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can add a fish just fine. I was getting the same results as you when I added my first clown fish. I would wait for coral though. Make sure your system is stable for a month or two and do a cheap lps trial run. Some people will say to wait longer. But if your tank is holding reasonable test results for a few weeks then a hardy coral probably can live.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to add fish or just CUC ? Also corals
Corals no. Start with 1 or 2 small fish, then wait a month between adding more. CuC can be added after fish. With coral I'd say wait a couple months after fish are added.

OP
OP
A

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice! Gonna get two small clowns but wait a few days to see if there is a big spike in ammonia

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice! Gonna get two small clowns but wait a few days to see if there is a big spike in ammonia
When you get fish a good place to get a CuC is reefcleaners.org Just get the package for 1/2 your tank size. Much cheaper and diverse than buying from LFS

OP
OP
A

Azariah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Did a test last night and it hit 0 did a test this morning and got 0.2.
Nothing else has changed in the tank with nitrites still being between 0 and 0.5

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back