Reef Delete Review – Sound in Concept but Not in Practice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultraviolet light is a form of high energy radiation which has a number of uses in our daily lives as well as our aquariums. The C-band of UV light is used to sterilize food and medical equipment and we use UV sterilizers for reducing microbial populations found in aquarium water. With these unquestionable germicidal properties…
Source

Continue reading...

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud Jake and Reef Builders for the honest and detailed review.
I'm sure that Jake's reputation carries a lot of weight and his recommendations will likely have a major impact in the reception of the product so it must be hard to write and publish articles where a product is not recommended.

My experience with Reef Delete was negative as well. I tried using it to delete dinos and even after multiple sessions of keeping the tool pointed at the area for really extended periods of time, I couldn't see any difference. The dinos kept coming back next day.
ITC and Saltwateraquarium were very kind and gave me a full refund. I really wanted the tool to work but unfortunately it didn't work for me.

I hope setbacks like this don't stifle innovation and companies take advantage and learn from the obvious lessons like usability, the importance of real life testing, and transparency when it comes to product claims. The latter is critical to build customer trust specially in face of the latest reefing product challenges like the bad salt and the algaecide.

As reefing products increase in cost, reefers expectations increase as well. Companies need to consider this to stay relevant in a hyper connected world with knowledgeable customers where product reviews are as important as marketing campaigns.

DaMenace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! It was a great read and a great surprise to see my video review of it on his article. Happy to see that it wasn't just me.

ITCreefculture

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys - Just wanted to reach out to everyone and those who hasn't had successes as yet - and in general really!

If anyone who wants support can contact us directly via our facebook page www.facebook.com/itcreefculture or the official Reef Delete user group on Facebook - we're a very small team and its just one of us who handles sales, marketing, support so we use these channels and typically not forums.

We know Reef Delete isn't an instant killer and we've tried to stress this through all distributors selling into retailers etc and have never claimed it to be - its a gardening tool and you've got to work at it - its never going to clear a big tank infestation as its a spot control tool. If you've got 100 aips in your tank, you're going to be at it a while.. but you will get there with some good 'ol fashioned hard work. BUT aips arent the only thing you can treat with Reef Delete..

In reference to @MikeTheNewbie - Dinos can replicate in the millions overnight if conditions are correct so you were likely able to eliminate a patch but growth would have been so much that they would take back over the patch you just killed, because thats what they do - it was a clear opportunistic site. If the conditions weren't great you'd probably be able to topple them. I appreciate the sentiment too - We absolutely are forging forwards with Reef Delete we fully believe in it and know it works, it takes time, patience and the right application of use and job. Fortunately we're small and able to react quickly in the manufacturing and design dept. There's only 3 of us!

Reef Builders didn't want to post our comments regarding their article so I'll post them here. :)

I’m sure some of you will have seen the Reef Builders review and for a lot of you will leave you heads scratching.. as it does the job for you!

No one has yet commented on the the fact that we can kill GSP/Xenia/Bubble Algae/Flat worms and other soft corals and pests with ease.. Aips, Mojo and larger denser corals are harder and take more time. We do appreciate these are some of the 'headline' pests..

From the thousands sold most feedback has been good but for a few Customers have had issues these echo Jakes experience with his first gen torch is as follows:

1. Its not a magic wand, poof and its gone - it takes time to work. - That's our tech. It does take time.
2. Button is hard to keep pressed down
3. You can’t get to bits at depth or under rocks easy.

We have been listening and working hard to improve on our product and counter these issues

On the first issue, the torches currently under build V1.02 which are in production now and due to ship to global distributors in May are more powerful than the first batch.

The next batch are 1.7x powerful at the same exact wavelength. This is due to advances in the extremely fast developing world of UVC LED technology. Think back to when LED Lights first came out for reefs! We’ve been able to implement these in V1.02. To take on our suppliers’ in-plan upgrade this we have had to do lot of rework and testing including external EMC testing. This is why it’s been out of stock.

This increased intensity reduces fluence (dose) time and increases UVC penetration. Meaning more damage, quicker. You’ll still need to do multiple long doses. It’s never going to be a point and shoot gun!
We expect the intensity to periodically increase and therefore the product range will become ever more efficient as the product matures.

All Reef Delete torches can be dismantled and updated (at factory)

So any users with V1.01 hardware can send their torch to us for a free upgrade (they just cover the shipping). We’re working on this plan and will release this later on.. should you want to!

Secondly, the button is a safety critical part of the design and although we cannot remove its implementation, we have now tried 5 other surface mount buttons and 4 different spring weights, after lots of user feedback a new lighter spring is being implemented BUT the originals do soften up with use! Plus there are methods of keeping the button down such the 3d printed collars on thingiverse - they wont invalidate your warranty but we can't condone their use as the push on button is a safety feature in itself we needed for regulations to be able to sell it.

Thirdly and most importantly we have a Reef Delete mount which has been designed and tested over the last few months and will be available to buy from us ready made in the near future and we will also issue the STL files as a FREE download so those of you who can, can 3D print and assemble at home with a few readily available parts!

This device (yet to come up with a cool name!) makes reaching into corners and under rocks easier but also as it uses the whole hand not just a finger for a depressing the button it makes blasting nasties even easier….

Please note if you remove a nasty and leave a blank space it will be recolonised by something and seeing as pest tend to grow faster. We have always viewed the reef delete as a maintenance tool not a tool for permanent eradication because once they’re in there.. they’re in there!

We have never shyed away from the fact that Reef Delete needs multiple doses to and some good long blasting time to work but it will work! As I say, It’s a spot control tool.. not a whole tank infestation clearer… well not yet!
We already know of future upgrades that are going to improve upon our handy pest killing tech.

I hope that this goes someway to showing that we're here - we're always going to improve the tech and we really appreciate everyone's support to date :).

All the best

Craig - Co- Inventor - ITC Reefculture

Last edited:

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and I completely agree with Reefbuilders assessment. Im pretty sure I got one of the first ones and under limited circumstances it may work but for me I’ve had a zero percent success rate with it. I have pages of customer service emails, much like above explaining how I’m doing it wrong. Anyone near me can have it. They won’t give me my money back so it’s a 400$ waste of space in my aquarium drawer. ITC- I’m not putting another cent into this thing sending it back.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The second version is a good touch up tool. I’ve taken out quite a few astapia with ease. They haven’t returned in those spots or exploded into many more.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t tried it yet because of price, but for the expensive price tag on them I would expect them to work better then other things on the market that sell for much less.
but after reading the reviews I probably never will.

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys - Just wanted to reach out to everyone and those who hasn't had successes as yet - and in general really!

If anyone who wants support can contact us directly via our facebook page www.facebook.com/itcreefculture or the official Reef Delete user group on Facebook - we're a very small team and its just one of us who handles sales, marketing, support so we use these channels and typically not forums.

We know Reef Delete isn't an instant killer and we've tried to stress this through all distributors selling into retailers etc and have never claimed it to be - its a gardening tool and you've got to work at it - its never going to clear a big tank infestation as its a spot control tool. If you've got 100 aips in your tank, you're going to be at it a while.. but you will get there with some good 'ol fashioned hard work. BUT aips arent the only thing you can treat with Reef Delete..

In reference to @MikeTheNewbie - Dinos can replicate in the millions overnight if conditions are correct so you were likely able to eliminate a patch but growth would have been so much that they would take back over the patch you just killed, because thats what they do - it was a clear opportunistic site. If the conditions weren't great you'd probably be able to topple them. I appreciate the sentiment too - We absolutely are forging forwards with Reef Delete we fully believe in it and know it works, it takes time, patience and the right application of use and job. Fortunately we're small and able to react quickly in the manufacturing and design dept. There's only 3 of us!

Reef Builders didn't want to post our comments regarding their article so I'll post them here. :)

I’m sure some of you will have seen the Reef Builders review and for a lot of you will leave you heads scratching.. as it does the job for you!

No one has yet commented on the the fact that we can kill GSP/Xenia/Bubble Algae/Flat worms and other soft corals and pests with ease.. Aips, Mojo and larger denser corals are harder and take more time. We do appreciate these are some of the 'headline' pests..

From the thousands sold most feedback has been good but for a few Customers have had issues these echo Jakes experience with his first gen torch is as follows:

1. Its not a magic wand, poof and its gone - it takes time to work. - That's our tech. It does take time.

We have been listening and working hard to improve on our product and counter these issues

On the first issue, the torches currently under build V1.02 which are in production now and due to ship to global distributors in May are more powerful than the first batch.

The next batch are 1.7x powerful at the same exact wavelength. This is due to advances in the extremely fast developing world of UVC LED technology. Think back to when LED Lights first came out for reefs! We’ve been able to implement these in V1.02. To take on our suppliers’ in-plan upgrade this we have had to do lot of rework and testing including external EMC testing. This is why it’s been out of stock.

This increased intensity reduces fluence (dose) time and increases UVC penetration. Meaning more damage, quicker. You’ll still need to do multiple long doses. It’s never going to be a point and shoot gun!
We expect the intensity to periodically increase and therefore the product range will become ever more efficient as the product matures.

So any users with V1.01 hardware can send their torch to us for a free upgrade (they just cover the shipping). We’re working on this plan and will release this later on.. should you want to!

Secondly, the button is a safety critical part of the design and although we cannot remove its implementation, we have now tried 5 other surface mount buttons and 4 different spring weights, after lots of user feedback a new lighter spring is being implemented BUT the originals do soften up with use! Plus there are methods of keeping the button down such the 3d printed collars on thingiverse - they wont invalidate your warranty but we can't condone their use as the push on button is a safety feature in itself we needed for regulations to be able to sell it.

Thirdly and most importantly we have a Reef Delete mount which has been designed and tested over the last few months and will be available to buy from us ready made in the near future and we will also issue the STL files as a FREE download so those of you who can, can 3D print and assemble at home with a few readily available parts!

This device (yet to come up with a cool name!) makes reaching into corners and under rocks easier but also as it uses the whole hand not just a finger for a depressing the button it makes blasting nasties even easier….

Please note if you remove a nasty and leave a blank space it will be recolonised by something and seeing as pest tend to grow faster. We have always viewed the reef delete as a maintenance tool not a tool for permanent eradication because once they’re in there.. they’re in there!

We have never shyed away from the fact that Reef Delete needs multiple doses to and some good long blasting time to work but it will work! As I say, It’s a spot control tool.. not a whole tank infestation clearer… well not yet!
We already know of future upgrades that are going to improve upon our handy pest killing tech.

I hope that this goes someway to showing that we're here - we're always going to improve the tech and we really appreciate everyone's support to date :).

All the best

Who is selling the 3d sleeve switch

RajV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All the best

Who is selling the 3d switch sleeve

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what they cost it should work instantly! Not something you have to wwwork at! I was going to buy it to treat overgrown zoas, bubble algae and some crazy hedge type algae. I also had some kind of stringy sea algae that came in on wild corals! I have raed up on nuisance alage and have yet to find anything about this hedge dense algae or the sea hair type! Attaching some pics so hopefully someone can tell me how to treat those strange algaes and my po4 is at 0.05 so thats not the problem!

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 2
  • algae2.jpg
    algae2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 2
  • sea hair algae.jpg
    sea hair algae.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what they cost it should work instantly! Not something you have to wwwork at! I was going to buy it to treat overgrown zoas, bubble algae and some crazy hedge type algae. I also had some kind of stringy sea algae that came in on wild corals! I have raed up on nuisance alage and have yet to find anything about this hedge dense algae or the sea hair type! Attaching some pics so hopefully someone can tell me how to treat those strange algaes and my po4 is at 0.05 so thats not the problem!
You need fluxRX to treat for that. You have bryopsis in there and it will start to overtake your tank fast.
I am in the middle of doing it now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back