Reef Dreamin’: What would your dream monster tank look like?

What would your dream monster tank look like?

• It would be really, really big

Votes: 123 28.3%
  • It would be jammed with corals

Votes: 144 33.1%
  • It would be filled with fish

Votes: 104 23.9%
  • I would try to duplicate a slice of a natural reef

Votes: 179 41.1%
  • I’m focused on what my tank looks like no matter the size

Votes: 119 27.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.4%

• Total voters

kabal2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monster Hello GIF by Studios 2016

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In floor (bottom in basement) and about 20' deep total with the top extending through the roof so it has natural sunlight for some portion of the lighting needs. THe tank would be filled with huge chunks of live rock and the attached coral reef carefully poached from an undisclosed south Pacific Island location, and all cleaning would be done by mermaids to wipe the glass so I could see the natural beauty of the reef without having to lift a finger to enjoy it.

I'm not sure my wife is going to let me do this, she doesn't like mermaids much. :)
Wonder Woman Batman GIF by HBO Max

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
mine would be rather abstract…. it would be big, yes, but have different aspects/levels. there would be parts that would be wall to wall, ceiling to floor, and drop/cliff. aqua scape would match these areas. i would have more corals than fish

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
an airplane hangar with a glass pond connected to the ocean inside it that has no wind so i can fly fish. i would have a whole reef with giant trevally, bonefish, sharks, reef fish, and all the bells and whistles

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My dream tank would be a moderately sized tank, say 150-200 gallons but with a fish room to hide all the equipment required to keep it alive. I have no desire to maintain a monster tank nor the budget for one.

I'm a self-identified gear junkie, but it really detracts from the beauty of the tank when there are cables and tubes running everywhere. I'd just like just the glass box in view. No powerheads, no lights, no sump, etc. visible.

It takes WAY more space and planning than I ever would have imagined to hide all the life support gear and still keep it easily accessible for service.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not greedy….300 gallon with glitter Gonis of all colors on the bottom, Acans (holy grail) in the middle and weeping willow toadstools on the tops of the rocks for movement

SaltwaterandLime

Reefing with ADHD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dream monster tank would involve also needing a dream home and a dream job in order to provide for it.

Right now we are focused on just achieving our dream 112 lagoon.....

Also as beautiful as the monster tanks are to look at and enjoy, I'm not sure I would want to take on the maintenance that one would require

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a natural looking tank for a breeding pair of spotted groupers. Cephalopholis argus. Deep sand bed because they like to play in the sand with a playground of LR for them to cruise through and hang out under. Would give me a chance to get all those fancy Damselfish.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had a few different sized tanks before. I have never had a huge tank my largest was 300 gallons and my smallest was 5 gallons. I think the really small ones can be more difficult. I would like another 300 with a very large sump in another room. Only have a small 90 now

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dream tank if money were no object:

8’ x 4’ x 3’ top of the line lighting and filtration

loaded with colorful SPS (don’t have to be fancy named) - cluster of LPS (hammer/torch/fogspawn) - rainbow open brains on sand bed

Tangs: desgadini - yellow eye kole - blue eye kole - Atlantic blue (start as juvenil) - Achilles - white tail bristletooth

school of green chromis
pair of mandarin
lightning maroon clowns pair
goldenhead sleeper goby pair
various tile fish
couple wrasse reef safe

sand dollars
cleaner shrimp group
formia stars
purple LTA’s
6”ish clam as centerpiece
CUC but no hermits

I am sure there would be more but this is off top of my head

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reef tank would be a 7’ x 7’ x 30" rim braced glass tank with a 1sqft center overflow viewable on all 4 sides in a 21'x21' room with a 30"h stand and a canopy to the ceiling with a retractable light rack. Both stand and canopy would have removable panels on all 4 sides. One side would have a bar table with stools right against the tank. One side of the stand would be a control panel behind plexiglass back lit with LEDs. Tank would be lit with 8 Neptune SKY's. Flow would be provided by gyre pumps all the way around mounted on the brace upside down so the magnet and cord are inside the canopy. @geo would have to come to my house and custom design the sump!

Dreamscape Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Totally this. Probably a circular staircase and multiple landings for viewing instead of the elevator. And I'd be content with 6-10m instead of 25m!

Saw this video you linked yesterday....today this aquarium exploded injuring two people and resulting in the tragic loss of around 1500 tropical fish :(

Really sad for this to happen, and a little shocked about the timing of viewing the linked video and today's news!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So, we're dreamin.

My Dream reef would be big enough that I could dive in it, and commune with the inhabitants on a regular basis. We're talking at least hundreds of thousands of gallons. Of course, someone else would have to maintain it and pay for it, but we're dreaming. Right?

I know that dream reef already exists. I've visited it many times. Being land locked, it's just not practical to visit my dream as often as I'd like.

I guess I got a little off topic, but DANG! I REALLY NEED TO GO DIVING!!!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would build a house on stilts over a reef with multiple openings in the floor. Like tables with tops that lifted up to look through the floor. No glass. Swimming ladder. Would have to supplement lighting under the house to mitigate shade impacts.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I’ve seen a lot over almost 30 years of saltwater. Tanks that capture my imagination are always the ones that have unique features or animals. IMO size is irrelevant… it’s all in the execution.

If I were to dream up a new display I’d want something 8’-10’ in length but otherwise 2’x2’ on height and depth. I had a 6’ 220 gal before I moved and it was a good size but the height (30”) stunk after awhile.

I have a mixed reef with a lot of chalices, pectinia, euphyllia and blastos/acans/ welso etc. I also have shroom patchs (one rodactus and the other discoma). Corals I’d just transfer over, no more trimming, they could get as big as they like.

As for fish I have my fowleri and Achilles hybrid- my two favorites. But hey, we’re dreaming here right? I’d add a trio of semifasciatus angels, and then a harem of flasher wrasses and another group of mixed tile/dart fish. A tank that size I could also reintroduce my maculiceps tang in the display.

Easy peezy right?

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t come up with just one tank idea for a dream tank. When I retire from the army and get another job someday and don’t have to worry about moving constantly I want multiple tanks in a fish room. 1 large tank in the wall and then several (4-6) other display tanks in the fish room. The large tank will have several triggers, but the other tanks will be loaded with SPS and LPS and smaller reef fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back