• Other (explain in comment)

Votes: 22 16.5%

• Total voters

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you should definitely turn off your skimmer. I will turn mine off for an hour to allow it fully circulate my tank and give all the coral a chance to get some.
I actually turn mine off for two hours to prevent any skimmer overflow...skimmer shuts off at 8:30pm and comes back on at 10:30pm daily via the Apex Neptune and Doser.

Arawk408

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

When is a good time to start using Red Sea AB+? Is it more for a established tank with multiple corals? Or can I use this product in my 75G tank with about 20 frags of SPS/LPS when they are much bigger. I've noticed a 2 of my SPS have went white in some areas but they are slowly bouncing back. Will AB+ Help with these type of situations?

Placenta89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for about 5 months and did the recommended dosage broadcast every other day. I think the coral really enjoyed it but I had a massive explosion of spiriorbid worms cover all my glass, sump and back panel. I stopped dosing it to see if that had anything to do with it and, 3 weeks later they stopped growing on the glass and Numbers went down significantly. And I mean absolutely covered. Once they go down I'm gonna start dosing again because the coral had a very good response to it and I'll see if those little worms come back. I think broadcast is the way to go, I had some negative reactions on my Euphyllia when I spot fed. I never did it over night either, only Did it on the ramp down time but maybe I'll try this overnight method.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

When is a good time to start using Red Sea AB+? Is it more for a established tank with multiple corals? Or can I use this product in my 75G tank with about 20 frags of SPS/LPS when they are much bigger. I've noticed a 2 of my SPS have went white in some areas but they are slowly bouncing back. Will AB+ Help with these type of situations?
To answer your question...YES...just follow the direction and put about half of the recommended dosage at first and work your way up. I had great results, my BTA split into two. Also, just a word of advice, If using via a doser, AB+ can only stay out of the refrigerator for 7 days...after that, the rest is no good, which includes the amount in the dosing lines. I personally stopped using AB+ as of two weeks ago and switched to Brightwell CoralAmino (it does NOT need refrigeration, but is concentrated, and I dose it via the doser)...

jmorignot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jphilip813
I actually just started the opposite...I haven't seen any major improvement with Brightwell CoralAmino. So I'm going to try the famous AB+ now that I finished the brightwell bottle.

Dannyboy402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped both ab+ and brightwell coral amino. I didn't see anything worthwhile when using them for about 3 months each. I'm now onto Acropower and i've been using it for about 2 weeks now. So too soon to say if it works or not. I have friends who have used it with good results.

andrejk

lapsed salt tank geek learning it all again now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing Reef Energy this week into my 125 gal 6-month-old tank.
I have a Kamoer X1 MicroPump with a small jar input and the output running to the display tank near one of the powerheads. It is set up to dose 21ml manually. I fill it for a week of dosing.
My Apex has Feed Mode B set up for 30 minutes: return off, big powerheads off, small powerheads on. Skimmer is set for a 1-hour delay after the FeedB (may make that longer).
When I want to feed, I activate Feed B and trigger the dispenser on the X1. The liquid gets into the display and the small powerheads distribute it.
I was feeding mid-day but based on suggestions here I'll start doing that at lights-out. I may also turn all of the powerheads on since I don't think the coral mind and the extra flow probably helps them absorb the food.

Rob3D2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a little over a year old but have been reading up on AB+ and I know you can only does a weeks worth until you have to clean out line to prevent any spoiling of older food but can I just run some RODI water through the doser and line after a week to clean out or do I need to do a more thorough cleaning of doser and line.
Great question! Did you ever get this figured out? I am planning on getting a small fridge from Amazon and probably drill a small hole the size of the tubing and route it to the sump. The only concern is what to do with what is on the tube as it will be exposed to room temp.

Rob3D2018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So What I have done on my 120g and now on my 20g Nano, I turn off the skimmer and dose. So my AB+ schedule looks like this 5 Days of the 7 Days All Automated; Main-Pump Stays on the entire time:

8:28p: Skimmer & Left and Right Pump Turns OFF
8:30p: DoS Starts Feeding 4ml of AB+
8:55p: Left Pump Turns On
9:00p: Right Pump Turns On
9:30p: Dos Ends Feeding 4ml of AB+
11:30p: Skimmer Turns Back On
So what are you doing for the two days left that you show you are not dosing?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I was only putting a weeks worth in a small container and dosing. As per container can keep a weeks worth out of fridge to dose. Once used up I would just clean out the container and dosing line. I only dose it now periodically. I almost did The fridge idea with a magnetic stirrer but decided not to for now.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have completely moved from Reef Energy AB+ and moved to Brightwell Coral Amino...I do have it mixed 2 minutes prior to dosing on an auto-timer and mixer. It doesn't need refrigeration and the solution is concentrated, but little on the pricey side. However, for me it is worth it...the growth on my end is evidence.

Attachments

• 20220413_163918.jpg
    20220413_163918.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220404_182450.jpg
    20220404_182450.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220324_183907.jpg
    20220324_183907.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 131

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are you doing for the two days left that you show you are not dosing?
When I did use AB+, i dosed enough that it covered those other two days. THen I switched to daily dosing before I switched to Amino from Brightwell

Cigarman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about starting AB+. I have to dose manually since i don’t have a dosing system setup. I know i should turn off pumps and skimmer. I would like to just add recommended dose to sump. I have a max s400. Would like to dose once a day during day or early evening. How long should i leave skimmer off or if i add to return chamber in sump do i even have to turn skimmer off.

jphilip813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about starting AB+. I have to dose manually since i don’t have a dosing system setup. I know i should turn off pumps and skimmer. I would like to just add recommended dose to sump. I have a max s400. Would like to dose once a day during day or early evening. How long should i leave skimmer off or if i add to return chamber in sump do i even have to turn skimmer off.
When I dosed the AB+, I would keep my Skimmer off for about a 1.5hrs total from the time the first drip of AB went into my sump up to my display tank. I only dosed for 30 minutes (spread out via a doser). I would typically start dosing around 8 pm went the lights were going out; the skimmer stops, and the skimmer kicks back in (automated) around 9:30pm

Back