Reef flux/Flux RX on GHA

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I've had issues with GHA for about 6 months now, maybe a bit longer. Since i don't scrub my back wall, it started there and was limited to it for a while, but now it killed half my small clove colony and is popping up here and there and on snails' shells. It is nothing CRAZY yet, but i really don't want to reach that level. I feed very lightly and I feed frozen alot. Light is on for 9 hours a day only and I run a DIY fuge in my back chamber + a HOB skimmer.

So how can I get rid of it because it is driving me crazy at this point! I dont want to use vibrant and risk losing corals. So my question is: do reef flux/flux RX work on GHA?

Ive seen contradicting information about their effect on GHA. Some people say you should double the dose for GHA with reef flux while others say flux rx works better on GHA somehow.

Please help :) Thank you all in advance.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get your phosphates down, the GHA are consuming them and most likely getting false readings

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 850 gallon reef was overcome with the worst GHA in the industries history ( LOL ) Close for sure.
Reef RX is the only thing that kicked it, my reef is completely without GHA and is staying that way.
Pet mountain is the most cost effective and easiest to use as its in bulk powder form, not pills that you have to individually open and count.
Here is the link. Pick the amount you need, I would get enough for a second treatment after water change after first treatment.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 850 gallon reef was overcome with the worst GHA in the industries history ( LOL ) Close for sure.
Reef RX is the only thing that kicked it, my reef is completely without GHA and is staying that way.
Pet mountain is the most cost effective and easiest to use as its in bulk powder form, not pills that you have to individually open and count.
Here is the link. Pick the amount you need, I would get enough for a second treatment after water change after first treatment.
Do you think reef flux would NOT work like flux rx did? I am asking this because where I live reef flux is quite a bit cheaper than flux rx. Also, please walk me through what you did start to finish in terms of using this product and how you maintained an algae free DT later on. Thank you!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
there have been people who reported losing corals after treatment. this probably happened due to dosing(too much).

try to take account of how many gallons of water you have(remember rocks, corals, fish, sand, etc all displace water and if you have a 90g tank, you may not have 90g of water)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think reef flux would NOT work like flux rx did? I am asking this because where I live reef flux is quite a bit cheaper than flux rx. Also, please walk me through what you did start to finish in terms of using this product and how you maintained an algae free DT later on. Thank you!
They are both Flucanozole, The Flux RX is in bulk powder form, no pulling tiny pill pockets apart to get to the powder.
I have never seen a LFS sell Reef Flux for anything close to but twice the cost. Look at grams your buying and how much you need to does. My system is 850 gallons, so I had to research this to death and this was less than 1/2 the cost. And easier to ditribute and treat the tank.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used FluxRx in my 55 last month and the GHA is GONE!!!

I can say from personal experience that without a doubt that product works!!

Also, please walk me through what you did start to finish in terms of using this product and how you maintained an algae free DT later on.

What I did was pretty simple. I did a 20% water change the day before, knowing it would be at least 2 weeks before I would do another one. Then I took a small mason jar with a tight-fitting lid and filled it about halfway with tank water. Added in the powder as per the instructions on the box and shook it vigorously to dissolve the powder. Once the powder was dissolved, I poured the contents into the DT directly, rinsed the jar out a few times with tank water to make sure I got all of the full dose into the tank and that was it.

No change to lighting, no extra steps, nothing different at all. The only thing was no water changes for a couple weeks. I did about 10g water change last weekend and the tank looks fantastic!

"Before" pictures. Oct 29-2021
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

"After" pictures Nov 26-2021
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I did was pretty simple. I did a 20% water change the day before, knowing it would be at least 2 weeks before I would do another one. Then I took a small mason jar with a tight-fitting lid and filled it about halfway with tank water. Added in the powder as per the instructions on the box and shook it vigorously to dissolve the powder. Once the powder was dissolved, I poured the contents into the DT directly, rinsed the jar out a few times with tank water to make sure I got all of the full dose into the tank and that was it.

No change to lighting, no extra steps, nothing different at all. The only thing was no water changes for a couple weeks. I did about 10g water change last weekend and the tank looks fantastic!

IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0167.JPG
Wow, it's really amazing how effective it is. How many grams per gallon did you use? From what I understand you dosed it one time at the very beginning and then did nothing for 3 weeks, after that you continued your WCs normally right?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, it's really amazing how effective it is. How many grams per gallon did you use? From what I understand you dosed it one time at the very beginning and then did nothing for 3 weeks, after that you continued your WCs normally right?

I ordered 2000 mg and the vendor sent me 4000mg at no extra charge. The box contains measuring spoons. 1 large and 1 small. The instructions say 1 large per 25 gallons so I used 2. (About 1000 mg)

I turned off the skimmer for the first 3 days as per instructions.

I treated the tank once.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I turned off the skimmer for the first 3 days as per instructions.

some people have had better results by leaving the skimmer running but removing the collection cup. this product removes oxygen(or something of this sort) from the water, and that could be why some have had corals and even fish die.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some people have had better results by leaving the skimmer running but removing the collection cup. this product removes oxygen(or something of this sort) from the water, and that could be why some have had corals and even fish die.

Not an option. At the time I was treating this tank, I was running a HoB skimmer. Removing the cup would not have worked for me.

I run a VERY heavy mechanical filtration in the form of 2 canister filters. One is 350 gph and the other is 400. There are also several wave makers in the tank to provide increased flow and break surface tension. There is plenty of oxygen exchange on that tank without the skimmer running.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after on my 850 Gallon Reef

Fluco B4.png Fluco After.png

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the actual package instructions.

IMG_0177.jpg
It says that I should not use it if i have macroalgae. Is this because the macro would lessen the efficacy of the drug? I have a fuge with some chaeto. Should I just throw the chaeto out?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says that I should not use it if i have macroalgae. Is this because the macro would lessen the efficacy of the drug? I have a fuge with some chaeto. Should I just throw the chaeto out?
It will melt the macro too.

You can just move it to a bucket of tank water. With an airstone, ambient room lighting and the occasional top off if will survive for weeks/months.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back