OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the whole Flux rx is better than reef flux thing? They both have the same active ingredient, so why do some reefers claim that rx worked for their GHA while reef flux did not? Could it be because of different dosing instructions?

TanksJB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both Flucanozole, The Flux RX is in bulk powder form, no pulling tiny pill pockets apart to get to the powder.
I have never seen a LFS sell Reef Flux for anything close to but twice the cost. Look at grams your buying and how much you need to does. My system is 850 gallons, so I had to research this to death and this was less than 1/2 the cost. And easier to ditribute and treat the tank.
Are you going to do a large water change after you dose? I don't want to do this because I also have a lot of water to change if I do but not as much as you. I dose elements and do ATI testing and don't do water changes.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to do a large water change after you dose? I don't want to do this because I also have a lot of water to change if I do but not as much as you. I dose elements and do ATI testing and don't do water changes.
I would always follow the instructions exactly and do the water changes after treatment.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the tank doing now? Still GHA free?
Tank is still 100% GHA free.

IMG_3602.jpeg

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on day 14 of treatment and there has been 0 decrease in GHA. If anything, because of the lack of WCs and no fuge, the gha became thicker and longer. I am starting to lose hope honestly.
Can you send your total water gallons in your system and the amount you dosed, I'd like to double check your dosage.
Did you remove all carbon, GFO, and turn off skimmer ? normally you start seeing the GHA turning white around day 7 -10. The GHA didn't show up in one night, its surely not going away over night.
Lets re-exam your dosage and details of your process and I'll try to guide you through this.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Flux Rx to kill my GHA and, as far as I can tell, it didn't have the slightest effect.
It might have been due to the fact that I have now a substantial amount of GHA in the system. So the regular dose may not have been enough.

I wonder how soon the treatment can be repeated and how big of an overdose is safe. All my corrals died already so the only things I'm worrying about are fish and anemones.

The algae actually really exploded after I did a long overdue large water change (somewhere between 80 and 90%).

The tank before the water change in December:

And just 2 to 3 weeks after the water change in January:

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried Flux Rx to kill my GHA and, as far as I can tell, it didn't have the slightest effect.
It might have been due to the fact that I have now a substantial amount of GHA in the system. So the regular dose may not have been enough.

I wonder how soon the treatment can be repeated and how big of an overdose is safe. All my corrals died already so the only things I'm worrying about are fish and anemones.

The algae actually really exploded after I did a long overdue large water change (somewhere between 80 and 90%).

The tank before the water change in December:

And just 2 to 3 weeks after the water change in January:

Please give us details on your dosage amount, time line, and what all filters you are running during your treatment.
We will be able to guide you forward with more detailed information on where you are and what you have done in the treatment time frame.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up on how Fluc works. The more surface areas and negatively charged surfaces that you have for it to bind to, the more that you are going to need, depending on what you are looking to kill. With lots of hair algae, you are going to need to dose a lot over a long period of time. Nobody really knows the effect of doing this in every tank. This variance is why some people have quick, effortless successes and some have huge crashes. This is the same thing with Polyquat that is found in other popular algae supplements.

You can beat this for good, but it will take time, effort, patience and probably some learning. If you are interested in this, then let us know. Consumers, physical removal, managing your residual building blocks, growing other things on the surfaces like coralline algae, bacteria, etc. to deprive hair of places to grow. This works, when you understand how it all works together and stuff. However, you have to pick a way since some of the most effective consumers will not be happy with some of these chemicals.

FWIW - for now, be proud of your tank as-is. Those regals and anthias are amazing. You can get through this. Also, I have a very mature reef and I could have small patches where hair could take hold like that with .1n and 1-3ppb of p if I did not have reliable things to eat/consume it.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read up on how Fluc works. The more surface areas and negatively charged surfaces that you have for it to bind to, the more that you are going to need, depending on what you are looking to kill. With lots of hair algae, you are going to need to dose a lot over a long period of time. Nobody really knows the effect of doing this in every tank. This variance is why some people have quick, effortless successes and some have huge crashes. This is the same thing with Polyquat that is found in other popular algae supplements.

You can beat this for good, but it will take time, effort, patience and probably some learning. If you are interested in this, then let us know. Consumers, physical removal, managing your residual building blocks, growing other things on the surfaces like coralline algae, bacteria, etc. to deprive hair of places to grow. This works, when you understand how it all works together and stuff. However, you have to pick a way since some of the most effective consumers will not be happy with some of these chemicals.

FWIW - for now, be proud of your tank as-is. Those regals and anthias are amazing. You can get through this. Also, I have a very mature reef and I could have small patches where hair could take hold like that with .1n and 1-3ppb of p if I did not have reliable things to eat/consume it.
This here is great info and sound advice !!!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well said. Agree completely.

The end goal is competition. Short term annihilation often just restarts the clock.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I kind of suspected that the amount of algae has to be considered. So the plan right now is to reduce the algae first before doing another treatment.

The Regals and Bicinctus are not so bad and even eat some of the algae, but the Anthias are rather groupers and real poop factories...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not just algae that it binds to. The compound is not selective. That is what makes this so hard. If the substance is positively charged, which I think that it is, it can bind to rock and sand too.

I would suggest that you decide if you are going to use chemicals or natural methods. Take your time because it is hard to switch once you decide.

In the mean time, get a siphon hose, fine net and bucket. Start manual removal down the hose, through the net and put the water back in the tank. If you need to, zip tie a stiff brush or something on the end of that siphon hose to get the stuff loose before you suck it down the hose. Do this as much as you have to to keep the algae short and tight.

This will help if you decide on natural methods since it will help urchins the the right snails get down to the "roots." It can also help with the chemicals since they will have less organic tissue in the tank to bind to.

As I was getting at earlier, cutting back in import is no way to win this battle. You have to add consumers and step up the export. Your future corals will always need the import.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not just algae that it binds to. The compound is not selective. That is what makes this so hard. If the substance is positively charged, which I think that it is, it can bind to rock and sand too.

I would suggest that you decide if you are going to use chemicals or natural methods. Take your time because it is hard to switch once you decide.

In the mean time, get a siphon hose, fine net and bucket. Start manual removal down the hose, through the net and put the water back in the tank. If you need to, zip tie a stiff brush or something on the end of that siphon hose to get the stuff loose before you suck it down the hose. Do this as much as you have to to keep the algae short and tight.

This will help if you decide on natural methods since it will help urchins the the right snails get down to the "roots." It can also help with the chemicals since they will have less organic tissue in the tank to bind to.

As I was getting at earlier, cutting back in import is no way to win this battle. You have to add consumers and step up the export. Your future corals will always need the import.
I tried natural methods and manual removal and it's basically a fight against windmills.
Chemical warfare or throwing the towel is all that's left.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tried an army of urchins and cerith snails along with a nice pack of real live rock from the ocean somewhere?

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tried an army of urchins and cerith snails along with a nice pack of real live rock from the ocean somewhere?
All of that, Diadema urchins, snails and hermits by the bucket... The urchins and snails won't touch the long strands. To make matters worse, the urchins actually prefer to eat the coralline algae and by that create even more settling space for GHA.
And with the exception of one arch, all rocks are real life rock from the ocean.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used this stuff to eliminate bryposis and patches of GHA. worked really well and I highly stress on following the recommended dose, do not overdose.

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am finally done using fluc and i can confidently say that it has indeed wiped out my GHA issues thank god. That being said, i think the additional things that I did to battle GHA did help the fluc. Initially i started with the recommended dose for 3 weeks with no skimmer on for the first 4 days. GHA was not fazed, it only grew thicker and longer. So I dosed more fluc.

Things i did that i think helped me destroy GHA:
1) Started with recommended dose but slowly kept increasing the dose over the span of 1.5 months until it was about double Id say. Fluc stayed in my water for about 2 months, after that I added carbon to remove it.
2) Went in manually 3 weeks into the treatment and removed any GHA I can grab
3) Added alot of snails, especially turbos
4) Used MB7
5) Continued WCs normally but I replaced whatever fluc that I took out during the WC

My softies, LPS and 1 birdsnest were all perfectly fine and growing.

Back