Reef Flux - how long before I see any results?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed Reef Flux according to the directions 3 days ago. I know it will take a while to finish the job, but I have not seen any effect at all yet. Is that to be expected?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed Reef Flux according to the directions 3 days ago. I know it will take a while to finish the job, but I have not seen any effect at all yet. Is that to be expected?
Yep

It was maddening... It *ALL* happened on bryopsis towards middle of third week. I was living on faith at that point. Hang in there... And, I had a yellow tang which tried to die first morning, so it went to 'vacation' in QT for 3 weeks. At end of 3rd week, it was gone, ran charcoal for 2 days, yellow went home fine.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only used the capsules but usually by 48 hours you can see the bryopsis discoloring then shortly thereafter as each day passes it dies and within a couple weeks at most non can be seen.
I also used capsules, opened each, poured into cup of water to dissolve powder inside, then added water with Reef Flux to my tank. It took 4 bottles (40 capsules), because I have a 180g + ~20g sump, and was going with 'double it up' advice found somewhere on 'net

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used capsules, opened each, poured into cup of water to dissolve powder inside, then added water with Reef Flux to my tank. It took 4 bottles (40 capsules), because I have a 180g and was going with 'double it up' advice found somewhere on 'net
I used the capsules too. How long until you saw anything happen? I dosed like it said, essentially only put it in once and wait.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the capsules too. How long until you saw anything happen? I dosed like it said, essentially only put it in once and wait.
Yes, I also dosed 1x then waited... didn't do any water changes whole while either because I couldn't figure out how to hold that dose consistent.

I was also dosing Vibrant before, during and after Reef Flux treatment, so unknown if that is why that seemed to contribute to delay in seeing results until end of 2nd week which had me go into 3rd week to ensure eradication. Perhaps my dying other algae types were feeding bryopsis that Reef Flux was trying to kill. It seemed like it got worse before it got better. I was living on faith.

I didn't give up on Reef Flux because I didn't have a plan B. Stress from all this has tightened up our QT/dip processes because I don't want to have to do it again

Hang in there... it didn't get bad overnight. It didn't go away quickly either for me (and I was double dosing)

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I also dosed 1x then waited... didn't do any water changes whole while either because I couldn't figure out how to hold that dose consistent.

I was also dosing Vibrant before, during and after Reef Flux treatment, so unknown if that is why that seemed to contribute to delay in seeing results until end of 2nd week which had me go into 3rd week to ensure eradication. Perhaps my dying other algae types were feeding bryopsis that Reef Flux was trying to kill. It seemed like it got worse before it got better. I was living on faith.

I didn't give up on Reef Flux because I didn't have a plan B. Stress from all this has tightened up our QT/dip processes because I don't want to have to do it again

Hang in there... it didn't get bad overnight. It didn't go away quickly either for me (and I was double dosing)
Thanks for the reassurance! Sorry, I didn't notice the first post where you said how long it took was by you until just now.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used capsules, opened each, poured into cup of water to dissolve powder inside, then added water with Reef Flux to my tank. It took 4 bottles (40 capsules), because I have a 180g + ~20g sump, and was going with 'double it up' advice found somewhere on 'net
Only red flag I see is you "doubled" up the dose, that might be bad for some of the corals. I've always used slightly less than the recommended dose and it kills the bryopsis with no problem. Keep a close eye on your corals just in case the increased dose doesn't start to kill them.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only red flag I see is you "doubled" up the dose, that might be bad for some of the corals. I've always used slightly less than the recommended dose and it kills the bryopsis with no problem. Keep a close eye on your corals just in case the increased dose doesn't start to kill them.
I've got sticks, gonipora, hammers, frogspawn, mushrooms, xenia, trachy, lobo, ... more ... those were all fine. My inverts were all fine, though weeks later crab did eat snails (ripped from shells (sad)). Only fish impacted was yellow tang, and it nearly died, but all other fish were fine.

This is just my experience with it doubled. Others experiences may be different.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 6. I used 12 capsules of Reef Flux in my 125 with 36 gallon sump. SPS dominant mixed reef with crabs, urchins, snails shrimp etc...

I saw graying on the bryopsis at day 2. At day 6, it is more than 50% gone. So far all inhabitants seem fine. Changing socks every other day. Skimmer is producing at about twice it's normal rate. Haven't noticed any decrease in Alk/Cal consumption yet (testing every 3 days). NO3 may be rising slightly, but no change yet in PO4. So far, caulerpa in the fuge seems fine and the chaeto seems to be flourishing. Monitoring very closely.

Back