Reef Gods move in mysterious ways or Have a lousy sense of humor

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can laugh. I won't be offended. You can also groan and pat me on the back....

So, my tank has 6 staghorn damsels. They were supposed to be cute little lemon damsels from LA but the Gods saw fit to bless (hack-hack) me with staghorns. They have been the bane of my existence since becoming adults/maturity in my new tank-bite hard enough to draw blood and are little you know what's. I kick myself daily for moving them from old tank to new.

These six are known as the DD's. Second word Damsels. You can guess the first word or ck out the last page or 2 of my build. I have been trying to trap and remove with no luck. They also like to knock down frags and break branches of my sticks.

Today I spotted a pair that looked to be possibly doing a mating ritual. A bit later, I tried to glue a porites on top of a branch where the 2 were swimming around and around. Well, the larger one threw a fit. Did its best to knock it down, biting the poor coral and in general letting me know "no way ". So I moved the coral to save it!

After I was done adding corals, I went to look and sure enough, there be eggs. Lots of eggs...

Just figures that the fish I want gone also are breeding! The Reef Gods hate me....

You can see the glue from trying to add a nice coral here... Eggs on underside.
20220721_174023.jpg
20220721_141730.jpg
20220721_141752.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's cool that they are breeding. But...how can you remove them? And what can you do once you have removed them?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it's cool that they are breeding. But...how can you remove them? And what can you do once you have removed them?
I have a 45 gal observation tank I can toss them in. Then I'll donate to a lfs. Outta my tank and into someone elses haha

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fish in the pic. Such an evil face.
I was looking up the species out of curiosity. Just thought this was funny.
I know the question was answered in regard to 3 spot. Damsels are jurks.
Evil is correct!!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back