Reef Hobby needs YOU!!!

uf_gators

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On December 7, 2012, NOAA published a proposed rule in the Federal Register (77 FR 73219) in response to a petition submitted by the Center for Biological Diversity to list 83 reef-building coral species as threatened or endangered under the ESA. NOAA concluded that 12 of the petitioned coral species warrant listing as endangered (5 Caribbean and 7 Indo-Pacific), 54 coral species warrant listing as threatened (2 Caribbean and 52 Indo-Pacific), and 16 coral species (all Indo-Pacific) do not warrant listing as threatened or endangered under the ESA. NOAA also determined that two Caribbean coral species currently listed warrant reclassification from threatened to endangered.Due to the broad regulatory powers granted under the ESA, the proposed listing could very well shut down aquarium import, sales, or trade of all Acropora, Montipora, Euphyllia and other corals, not just the species listed. The proposed listing would make no distinction between “wild collected,†“maricultured†or “aquacultured†corals.In other words, the proposed listing may very well prohibit and criminalize the transport and trade of all Acropora and Euphyllia species, (whether wild -collected, maricultured or captive-propagated, including those existing in hobbyists’ aquariums at the time the regulation goes into effect), included those traded at frag swaps or between individual hobbyists, but may also prohibit moving one of these corals from one tank to another, or even taking a colony out of an existing aquarium for treatment, ect., and replacing it in the same aquarium.Again, the way the ESA is enforced, there is a significant possibility that the proposed listing would be enforced, in effect, as to all corals in the respective genera, including all corals in the Acropora, Montipora, Euphyllia, Caulastrea, Pocillopora, Porities, Pavona, Pectina, Pachyseris and Seriatopra genera.The proposed listing is not appropriate for multiple reasons, but perhaps the most evident is that there is no scientific data, or substantially incomplete data, to list these species. There is insufficient data to establish that prohibiting collection and trade of these corals would positively impact the species. Also, NOAA and the National Marine Fisheries Service did not consider what impact the listing would have on these corals and coral reefs generally as a result of destruction of the trade on a local level, and the attendant resumption of destructive fishing practices and other deleterious activities by local populations.The specific aquarium corals that would be listed are:Proposed EndangeredPacific
Acropora jacquelineae
Acropora lokani - 20,000 leagues Acro
Acropora rudis
Anacropora spinosa
Euphyllia paradivisa – Branching Frogspawn Coral
Millepora foveolata
Pocillopora elegans – E Pacific
Proposed Threatened SpeciesPacific
Acanthastrea brevis
Acanthastrea hemprichii
Acanthastrea ishigakiensis
Acanthastrea regularis
Acropora aculeus
Acropora acuminate
Acropora aspera
Acropora dendrum
Acropora donei
Acropora globiceps
Acropora horrida
Acropora listeria
Acropora microclados
Acropora palmerae
Acropora paniculata
Acropora pharaonis
Acropora polystoma
Acropora retusa
Acropora speciosa
Acropora striata
Acropora tenella
Acropora vaughani
Acropora verweyi
Alveopora allingi
Alveopora fenestrate
Alveopora verrilliana
Anacropora puertogalerae
Astreopora cucullata
Barabattoia laddi
Caulastrea echinulata
Euphyllia cristata
Euphyllia paraancora – Branching Hammer Coral
Isopora crateriformis
Isopora cuneata
Millepora tuberosa
Montipora angulate
Montipora australiensis
Montipora calcarea
Montipora caliculata
Montipora dilatata/ flabellata/ turgescens
Montipora lobulata
Montipora patula/ verrilli
Pachyseris rugosa
Pavona diffluens
Pectinia alcicornis – Spiny Cup Chalice Coral
Physogyra lichtensteini
Pocillopora danae
Pocillopora elegans – Indo-Pacific
Porites horizontalata
Porites napopora
Porites nigrescens
Seriatopora aculeate
On February 25, 2013, NOAA published a Notice in the Federal Register extending the time to submit public comments on NOAA’s proposal to list 12 coral species as “Endangered†and 54 coral species as “Threatened†under the Endangered Species Act. While PIJAC requested a 90-day extension and a D.C. public hearing, NOAA granted a 30-day extension untilApril 6, 2013.
[h=3]To register your opposition to this regulation:[/h]
Electronic Submissions: Click “Comment Now!†icon and complete the required fields, and enter or attach your comments.
Postal Mail Submissions:
Regulatory Branch Chief
Protected Resources Division National Marine Fisheries Service Pacific Islands Regional Office 1601 Kapiolani Blvd. Suite 1110 Honolulu, HI 96814
Attn: 82 Coral Species proposed listing
or
Assistant Regional Administrator Protected Resources Division National Marine Fisheries Service Southeast Regional Office 263 13th Avenue South
Saint Petersburg, FL 33701
Fax submissions:
808-973-2941: Attn: Protected Resources Regulatory Branch Chief
or
727-824-5309: Attn: Protected Resources Assistant Regional Administrator
Copies of relevant documents:http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/invertebrates/corals.htmhttp://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2012/11/82corals.htmlUS NOAA Coral Species Listing II_ALT______________________________________________
Regards,
Murray W. Camp

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/03/reef-hobby-call-comments-esa-coral-listing/#ixzz2PYhbHP9Q

What a load of crap.... another liberals BS ...... HAHAHA, Try to come in my home ,and tell me what I can do, and what I can't do! All I got to say......

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THIS IS IMPORTANT. WE ALL NEED TO COMMENT ON THIS RIGHT NOW!!!

MASNA Blog - MASNA Response to ESA Listing for 82 Coral Species coming today

MASNA Blog - MASNA submits its response to the proposed ESA listings of multiple corals

http://www.masna.org/Portals/0/Blog/Files/7/75/response letter ESA listing v3.pdf

This bill/legislation or whatever it is basically would outlaw the keeping, selling, or trading of any stony coral.

You need to submit your comment on this form, ASAP - April 5th is the deadline

Regulations.gov

This thing would classify most stony corals (pretty much all, because what DNR guy is going to know what acropora is what, really?) as endangered species. This is all based on very poor studies, specifically chosen because they are poor so that their conclusions can be drawn.

POST COMMENTS IMMEDIATELY. THIS EFFORT IS NOT BASED ON SUFFICIENT DATA. THIS COULD POTENTIALLY DECIMATE THIS HOBBY. WE COULD PRETTY MUCH ALL BE DEEMED CRIMINALS FOR OWNING SPS CORALS

I submitted this:

This proposed action is not based on sufficient data. There is no real effective way for someone without a degree in marine biology and decades of experience to tell one coral species from another. this action could potentially shut down an entire industry, full of hobbyists with love for the ocean and reefs. This action could potentially criminalize hundreds of thousands of hobbyists.

I am a member of a statewide reef keeping hobbyist club. We all endeavor to propagate and maintain as many coral species as possible. It is entirely possible that, if some species becomes extinct in the wild due to climate change factors or for any other reason, the only surviving species would be captive held and propagated coral colonies. It is entirely possible that this action could prevent the preservation of literally thousands of coral species. Most dedicated reef hobbyists pride themselves on maintaining pristine water conditions to maximize coral growth, then when their tanks get overgrown, they share these with others. Why on earth would one want to decimate the very industry that may very well someday be the last bastion of safety for the living reefs of the world?

This proposed action is full of disregard for the facts, and should not even be considered.

I fully support the view of the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America (MASNA) with respect to their letter dated April 4, 2013 with regard to this matter.

typicalwhiteazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
97 total views... why wasnt this bumped every hour and re-paste on every thread here and every forum!!!??

so much for a rally.. :(

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've responded to several of these the last 24hrs. It has been reposted many times to great response.
97 total views... why wasnt this bumped every hour and re-paste on every thread here and every forum!!!??

so much for a rally.. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On December 7, 2012, NOAA published a proposed rule in the Federal Register (77 FR 73219) in response to a petition submitted by the Center for Biological Diversity to list 83 reef-building coral species as threatened or endangered under the ESA. NOAA concluded that 12 of the petitioned coral species warrant listing as endangered (5 Caribbean and 7 Indo-Pacific), 54 coral species warrant listing as threatened (2 Caribbean and 52 Indo-Pacific), and 16 coral species (all Indo-Pacific) do not warrant listing as threatened or endangered under the ESA. NOAA also determined that two Caribbean coral species currently listed warrant reclassification from threatened to endangered.Due to the broad regulatory powers granted under the ESA, the proposed listing could very well shut down aquarium import, sales, or trade of all Acropora, Montipora, Euphyllia and other corals, not just the species listed. The proposed listing would make no distinction between “wild collected,†“maricultured†or “aquacultured†corals.In other words, the proposed listing may very well prohibit and criminalize the transport and trade of all Acropora and Euphyllia species, (whether wild -collected, maricultured or captive-propagated, including those existing in hobbyists’ aquariums at the time the regulation goes into effect), included those traded at frag swaps or between individual hobbyists, but may also prohibit moving one of these corals from one tank to another, or even taking a colony out of an existing aquarium for treatment, ect., and replacing it in the same aquarium.Again, the way the ESA is enforced, there is a significant possibility that the proposed listing would be enforced, in effect, as to all corals in the respective genera, including all corals in the Acropora, Montipora, Euphyllia, Caulastrea, Pocillopora, Porities, Pavona, Pectina, Pachyseris and Seriatopra genera.The proposed listing is not appropriate for multiple reasons, but perhaps the most evident is that there is no scientific data, or substantially incomplete data, to list these species. There is insufficient data to establish that prohibiting collection and trade of these corals would positively impact the species. Also, NOAA and the National Marine Fisheries Service did not consider what impact the listing would have on these corals and coral reefs generally as a result of destruction of the trade on a local level, and the attendant resumption of destructive fishing practices and other deleterious activities by local populations.The specific aquarium corals that would be listed are:Proposed EndangeredPacific
Acropora jacquelineae
Acropora lokani - 20,000 leagues Acro
Acropora rudis
Anacropora spinosa
Euphyllia paradivisa – Branching Frogspawn Coral
Millepora foveolata
Pocillopora elegans – E Pacific
Proposed Threatened SpeciesPacific
Acanthastrea brevis
Acanthastrea hemprichii
Acanthastrea ishigakiensis
Acanthastrea regularis
Acropora aculeus
Acropora acuminate
Acropora aspera
Acropora dendrum
Acropora donei
Acropora globiceps
Acropora horrida
Acropora listeria
Acropora microclados
Acropora palmerae
Acropora paniculata
Acropora pharaonis
Acropora polystoma
Acropora retusa
Acropora speciosa
Acropora striata
Acropora tenella
Acropora vaughani
Acropora verweyi
Alveopora allingi
Alveopora fenestrate
Alveopora verrilliana
Anacropora puertogalerae
Astreopora cucullata
Barabattoia laddi
Caulastrea echinulata
Euphyllia cristata
Euphyllia paraancora – Branching Hammer Coral
Isopora crateriformis
Isopora cuneata
Millepora tuberosa
Montipora angulate
Montipora australiensis
Montipora calcarea
Montipora caliculata
Montipora dilatata/ flabellata/ turgescens
Montipora lobulata
Montipora patula/ verrilli
Pachyseris rugosa
Pavona diffluens
Pectinia alcicornis – Spiny Cup Chalice Coral
Physogyra lichtensteini
Pocillopora danae
Pocillopora elegans – Indo-Pacific
Porites horizontalata
Porites napopora
Porites nigrescens
Seriatopora aculeate
On February 25, 2013, NOAA published a Notice in the Federal Register extending the time to submit public comments on NOAA’s proposal to list 12 coral species as “Endangered†and 54 coral species as “Threatened†under the Endangered Species Act. While PIJAC requested a 90-day extension and a D.C. public hearing, NOAA granted a 30-day extension untilApril 6, 2013.
[h=3]To register your opposition to this regulation:[/h]
Electronic Submissions: Click “Comment Now!†icon and complete the required fields, and enter or attach your comments.
Postal Mail Submissions:
Regulatory Branch Chief
Protected Resources Division National Marine Fisheries Service Pacific Islands Regional Office 1601 Kapiolani Blvd. Suite 1110 Honolulu, HI 96814
or
Assistant Regional Administrator Protected Resources Division National Marine Fisheries Service Southeast Regional Office 263 13th Avenue South
Saint Petersburg, FL 33701
Fax submissions:
808-973-2941: Attn: Protected Resources Regulatory Branch Chief
or
727-824-5309: Attn: Protected Resources Assistant Regional Administrator
Copies of relevant documents:http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/invertebrates/corals.htmhttp://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/stories/2012/11/82corals.htmlUS NOAA Coral Species Listing II_ALT______________________________________________
Regards,
Murray W. Camp

Read more: http://reefbuilders.com/2013/04/03/reef-hobby-call-comments-esa-coral-listing/#ixzz2PYhbHP9Q

What a load of crap.... another liberals BS ...... HAHAHA, Try to come in my home ,and tell me what I can do, and what I can't do! All I got to say......

Yup whats in my house is mine..not a good idea to try to come take my stuff....wont work with guns,or my reef corals..whata load of crap

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back