Reef Hobbyist Magazine Reviews the RFG!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yall must have an army of printers making these things haha
We do, LOL.

Right now, we're running anywhere between 20 to 25 printers at any given time. They run for nearly around the clock. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever think about outsourcing the print jobs to folks around the world with printers and time on their hands? NDA's and all that.
We have considered it, but want to maintain a bit more control over the process for now. Maybe in the future.

There are some new technologies on the horizon, in terms of 3D Printing that may change the way we look at mass production.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be cool if you had different nozzle sizes of the same thread to accommodate different GPH on returns. Mine don't really do any sort of random flow, but I'm only pushing like 350GPH through it.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i wanted random flow to reach the end of a 6 foot tank for bare bottom purposes what size pump?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i wanted random flow to reach the end of a 6 foot tank for bare bottom purposes what size pump?
I think for that you would want to take a look at our standard 1in RFG - the one the slip-fits to schel 40 PVC (RFG100)

This is nozzle can handle and convert a lot of flow into a really nice, punchy randomized flow, but still push a pretty good distance .

You'll want to make sure you can feed it a GPH to meet at least the Optimal Flow rating, which is 720 to 1,000 GPH

here's a Flow Demo of this Nozzle at 920 GPH. The tank is much smaller, but you can see the crazy flow this is capable of creating

Somewhere i have a video of this RFG in a 6-foot tank, but I'll have to locate it.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for that you would want to take a look at our standard 1in RFG - the one the slip-fits to schel 40 PVC (RFG100)

This is nozzle can handle and convert a lot of flow into a really nice, punchy randomized flow, but still push a pretty good distance .

You'll want to make sure you can feed it a GPH to meet at least the Optimal Flow rating, which is 720 to 1,000 GPH

here's a Flow Demo of this Nozzle at 920 GPH. The tank is much smaller, but you can see the crazy flow this is capable of creating

Somewhere i have a video of this RFG in a 6-foot tank, but I'll have to locate it.

Can the nozzel take more flow? What would happen with 2000 gph pressure rated pump?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the nozzel take more flow? What would happen with 2000 gph pressure rated pump?
You probably couldn't get that much volume through it, BUT the overall effect would just get bigger and more pronounced.

So if you had the head pressure to spare, as you would with a pressure rated pump, I would the push the envelope as the RFG really respond well to more pressure .

As an example, here s a 3/4in being flow at around 920 to 940, which is way beyond the suggested Optimal Flow rating

With that said, if you have that much flow available, you might consider running dual 1in RFGs or even moving up to one of our 1.25in, 1.5in or even a 2in RFG

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably couldn't get that much volume through it, BUT the overall effect would just get bigger and more pronounced.

So if you had the head pressure to spare, as you would with a pressure rated pump, I would the push the envelope as the RFG really respond well to more pressure .

As an example, here s a 3/4in being flow at around 920 to 940, which is way beyond the suggested Optimal Flow rating

With that said, if you have that much flow available, you might consider running dual 1in RFGs or even moving up to one of our 1.25in, 1.5in or even a 2in RFG

Can you make one with a screen gaurd around the eductor area to be sure nothing gets sucked in, like a fish?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you make one with a screen gaurd around the educator area to be sure nothing gets sucked in, like a fish?
only the smallest fish that are weak swimmers would have an issue - but one of the easiest ways to mitigate the risk for smaller fish would be to add a litter sponge around the base like this

it wont interfere with the function of the RFG and in fact, it even can allows you to get the RFG closer to the surface without the potent for drawing in air.

If you think you need something like this and are not sure where to get it - send us a PM. I belive we have some of this in stock

We also recommend this for those with Anemones that have not settled on in spot yet. As they could get stuck in the educators. They wont get chopped up like with a floiw pump but it can take a bit for them to undo themselves if they get pulled in.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 17.0%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back