Reef in trouble, Clownfish Spot, early signs of Ich?

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this video in the hopes someone could help me Identify something I saw on my Clownfish. Skip to 1 minute mark.

She looks healthy and I haven't noticed her scraping around trying to Itch it, pretty much unchanged demeanor.
I raised the temp by 1° since I noticed it. The spot is still there 2 days later.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, NOT an emergency.

I don't see anything in the video that concerns me. What specifically are you worried about?
I don't know what it is? If it's a Parasite and it multiplies it could infect all my fish. I quickly breezed through some Marine white spot/Velvet worm treatment called Oodonex, and you can't use it with Corals or Invertebrates of which my tank is heavily stocked with, so I'm in trouble even if it's the right treatment. I'm not really willing to quarantine the clownfish because it's just going to mean more stress, potentially exacerbating whatever it is. For all I know, it could be an emergency. It could be parasitic, or fungal, or bacterial and it could spread.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what it is? If it's a Parasite and it multiplies it could infect all my fish. I quickly breezed through some Marine white spot/Velvet worm treatment called Oodonex, and you can't use it with Corals or Invertebrates of which my tank is heavily stocked with, so I'm in trouble even if it's the right treatment. I'm not really willing to quarantine the clownfish because it's just going to mean more stress, potentially exacerbating whatever it is. For all I know, it could be an emergency. It could be parasitic, or fungal, or bacterial and it could spread.
You don't know what WHAT is?? I did not see anything on your clownfish in the video. Please describe what you are concerned about.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the video, I circle it in red. It's a White spot on the Clownfish's right hand side just above it's right pectoral fin.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just monitor it for now. It could be ich, unlikely to be velvet, but 1 little spot is not going to kill your fish. My tank has had ich in it for the past year, and every now and then I'll just see a spot or 2 on a fish, or some scratching.

If it starts to multiply and get worse over time, then I would look at treating it. QT for a clownfish is likely not stressful, but you would need to remove all your fish from teh tank and go fallow for like 72 days or something like that. Even then, you can still get ich in the tank easily - I went fallow and QT'd all my fish, and still have it, but the velvet is gone.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just monitor it for now. It could be ich, unlikely to be velvet, but 1 little spot is not going to kill your fish. My tank has had ich in it for the past year, and every now and then I'll just see a spot or 2 on a fish, or some scratching.

If it starts to multiply and get worse over time, then I would look at treating it. QT for a clownfish is likely not stressful, but you would need to remove all your fish from teh tank and go fallow for like 72 days or something like that. Even then, you can still get ich in the tank easily - I went fallow and QT'd all my fish, and still have it, but the velvet is gone.
Thank you man, a little relieving I guess. I noticed it a few days after doing a large water change. I read in some paper that there is a lot of different info on Ich. Some people think Ich is present in all aquariums dormant and it's triggered by something like a large water change. And that has just been reverberating in my mind since I read it.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people think Ich is present in all aquariums dormant and it's triggered by something like a large water change.
There is no ich fairy that wishes it into existence in every tank. It must come from somewhere. If that is ich then it is more likely it came in on something like a coral or snail shell, or that your fish had it all along and was asymptomatic.

That said I don't think it's ich yet, I would just watch.

Back