Reef just not thriving, please help (ICP Results In)

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW - Again - though several people are having a virtual meltdown. The difference between his 31.87 and 35 is 1.024 and 1.026 its insignificant. And IMHO has nothing to do with the issues here
I agree to an extent. If this was the only issue, then I don’t believe this thread would even be open. But I do think it’s a possibility that it could be a combination of many small issues like this. Meltdown worthy? Probably not, but can only help to fix it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree to an extent. If this was the only issue, then I don’t believe this thread would even be open. But I do think it’s a possibility that it could be a combination of many small issues like this. Meltdown worthy? Probably not, but can only help to fix it.
Actually - for 'decades' the guided to Specific gravity was 1.025. Then it became 1.026 (probably because it equated to 35. My point was merely to point out - that (and I was surprised) - that 31.87 was only 1.024. I would have 'thought' it would have been much lower. Also to point out that there are numerous calculators (Hamzareef) that one can use to transfer units, etc. Which can be very helpful

learjet3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, some constructive criticism. Salinity is low, but not concerningly so. I like to keep mine at 1.028. 1.025 is fine too. PAR is low in my opinion. But, the number that strikes me as high is Nitrates. That and low trace elements I would strive to fix. I would add more Bio filtration (toss some marinepure in the sump) to get the nitrates down and start dosing trace elements.

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, some constructive criticism. Salinity is low, but not concerningly so. I like to keep mine at 1.028. 1.025 is fine too. PAR is low in my opinion. But, the number that strikes me as high is Nitrates. That and low trace elements I would strive to fix. I would add more Bio filtration (toss some marinepure in the sump) to get the nitrates down and start dosing trace elements.
Constructive criticism is the way to go. :) I’m actually working on these two things as well. My chaeto grows like crazy, and I may have just trimmed it back too much, so I’m going to let it grow more this time before trimming it back again, but atleast the nitrates are registerable now. They were zero for the for 7 months or so.

learjet3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most strive for nitrate levels somewhere between undetectable and 1ppm. You are at 18.2ppm, I would expect corals to be angry.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most strive for nitrate levels somewhere between undetectable and 1ppm. You are at 18.2ppm, I would expect corals to be angry.
It’s not nitrate , I keep elevated levels of nitrate (40ppm) and all my coral is happier for it also my nems appreciate it

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my completely irrelevant opinion:
Your tank is 10 months old, which is still pretty green in my opinion. Sps can be difficult to keep. I would simply keep some softies and a few easy growing lps until the tank is a few years along and then try the sps. I know some people stock their tanks heavily with sps right off, but I think those people are either very expert, or more often, completely misrepresenting their expertise.

OP
OP
reef_ninja

reef_ninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. Things seem to be turning around a bit (but I've said that before). Corrections I've made:

Raised salinity to 1.026. Bought a new Refract, the old one was off, but not by much. In all honesty, I probably didnt need a new one, but atleast I sleep better?

Started dosing some trace elements, I dose about half of what is called for, for now.

Bought a TDS meter, my RODI tests 0, so I'm going to hold off on installing the new Carbon, Sediment, and DI filters.

I actually added two more fish. I know this goes against some of the advice some have brought, but they are tiny clowns and I think my corals have benefitted from this.

Im still going to keep the skimmer offline. Chaeto is growing beautifully and seems to be keeping things in check. Im dealing with a little bit of GHA, but we'll see. There's a little cyano on the sandbed, but I'm not worried about that, its clearing up pretty quickly.

I raised the blue spectrum on my lighting by 10% and dropped the whites down 5%.

I increased the flow just a bit on both Jebao OW-25s.

So far, corals are happy. One acro continues to encrust, and im getting a tiny bit of PE. The Poci is exploding and looks fantastic. Zoas are fully open and growing as well, and have some new polyps of Grandis coming in. Duncans and euphyllia are doing beautifully as well. I wish the acans looked better, no matter what I do they're always closed.

So overall, looking good for the time being. If I had to sum up what my issues are/were, I suspect many of them have to do with nutrients (as loosely as we define that), with the other minor issues pointed out contributing to the bigger problem. Thanks for the help folks, truly.

Back