Reef News Network and ReefWeeds present: The Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Are you going to enter the contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Collinslice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so excited for this! Already thinking of a ton of ideas and finally get to put a tank in my "office"
bd070b7d9169ffa73f7f52eff621e5bb.jpg

flyhigh123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These shrimp are halocaridina rubra, or what Hawaiins call Opae Ula. I've had a few different "tanks" for many years now. I gave my father in law a Voss bottle with 3 shrimp over 9 years ago and they are all still alive. Have fed nothing, and they are going strong.

Back in the day, brookstone use to sell these as ecospheres. The issue with ecospheres is being sealed, lack of oxygen was the killer.

On my desk i have a one gallon showpiece with 20-30 shrimp for over 8 years as well. Love these guys....

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many vessels can hold 2 gallons or less. I suggest thinking outside of a traditional setup.

Yeah, I am sure of that... The problem for me, if I were to join this, I would keep this tank at my office desk (in a cube with no natural light) which would require a more traditional set up to allow for some sort of lighting. Then I would need to make sure that the item is not too ugly or bulky, hence a clean rimless tank would do the job.

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a great contest, but really having a hard time finding any glass tanks without filtration that are under 2 gallons. I like the rimless square look, but unable to find any.
You can really use anything. A jar, a fishbowl, a cube rimless. Imagination is the only limitation!

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These shrimp are halocaridina rubra, or what Hawaiins call Opae Ula. I've had a few different "tanks" for many years now. I gave my father in law a Voss bottle with 3 shrimp over 9 years ago and they are all still alive. Have fed nothing, and they are going strong.

Back in the day, brookstone use to sell these as ecospheres. The issue with ecospheres is being sealed, lack of oxygen was the killer.

On my desk i have a one gallon showpiece with 20-30 shrimp for over 8 years as well. Love these guys....
Oh post some photos please!! I would love to see them!

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am sure of that... The problem for me, if I were to join this, I would keep this tank at my office desk (in a cube with no natural light) which would require a more traditional set up to allow for some sort of lighting. Then I would need to make sure that the item is not too ugly or bulky, hence a clean rimless tank would do the job.

Unless plant growth of certain species needing certain intensities and spectrums is what your going for besides the basic rules of the contest I would think a basic clip on light made for aquaria would grow algae to feed them. If not supplemental feeding should suffice and you can light it with whatever color you want.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm down for this contest!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see you have to order a minimum of 10. Is everyone going to have at least 10 in their tank?

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was one of my questions. How many shrimp to start, and what exactly do you do with multiplying shrimp in a small container? First you have 10-20. Then 40-60 and so on, and so on and so on.....:)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back