Reef News Network and ReefWeeds present: The Super Mega Awesome Shrimp Bowl Build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Are you going to enter the contest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the website says “self-regulating populations” not in those exact words but about that from memory. Most shrimp I’ve kept are opportunistic cannibals from my personal experience. Wondering if that’s the possibility. Honestly thinking if they are viable treats for my reef fish if they are going to be picked off anyway. I guess I’ll see when they starting filling in

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

Artist, Coral Hoarder and Proud Sponsor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was one of my questions. How many shrimp to start, and what exactly do you do with multiplying shrimp in a small container? First you have 10-20. Then 40-60 and so on, and so on and so on.....:)
Well, you can feed them to your critters or give them to friends!

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just in! @MarineDepot is sponsoring the best aquascaping prize - and the prize is AWESOME! Check the first post in this thread for details, but it's a complete setup - a Lifegard Aquatics Full View 7 gallon aquarium kit PLUS some super cool rocks. Teaser photo:

Lifegard-Aquatics-Full-View-Aquarium-Complete-Kit-7-Gallon-99.jpg

Collinslice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just in! @MarineDepot is sponsoring the best aquascaping prize - and the prize is AWESOME! Check the first post in this thread for details, but it's a complete setup - a Lifegard Aquatics Full View 7 gallon aquarium kit PLUS some super cool rocks. Teaser photo:

Lifegard-Aquatics-Full-View-Aquarium-Complete-Kit-7-Gallon-99.jpg
What if you're not traditionally "aquascaping"???
Planning mine around a theme rather than a traditional tank with rock plants etc

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you're not traditionally "aquascaping"???
Planning mine around a theme rather than a traditional tank with rock plants etc
That’s fine! The only “plants” you can really use are the moss balls and special chaeto offered by Petshrimp.com as other plants aren’t good for the shrimp (other than mangrove). So really, it’s about the asthetics of your tank!

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a great contest, but really having a hard time finding any glass tanks without filtration that are under 2 gallons. I like the rimless square look, but unable to find any.

Bowls will work and there are a ton of Betty tanks that could be put to good use:)

ReefNewsNetwork

#1 Saltwater and Reef Related Podcast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ilyad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bowls will work and there are a ton of Betty tanks that could be put to good use:)

I actually did find a betta tank that I think will work out great!

This is the best option I found if you truly want a glass rimless cube. It’s a hair over 2ga which we will let slide as your not going to fill to the tilt top.

Deep Blue Professional ADB11441 Rimless Cube Aquarium Glass Tank, 8 by 8 by 8-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUFTE5Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_YnJuBb431SP2C

Thanks for looking one up for me, but I spent a few evenings looking around and found a small glass beta tank with a small LED light that Im really considering. And its within the rule parameters!

This is what me and the kids will be using.
d6f7e9823954f5ce3d2c9c56d2af2a06.jpg
8575656a7febbe32e9300783a96e5503.jpg

Oh man, This is what I was really looking for! Love that tank. What kind of light is that?! I do want to keep the tank after the contest and would like to grow the moss ball in there. The tank I found right now only has a single small LED, which I suspect will be insufficient light to grow algae.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh...

I have a... non traditional glass container.... that is less than 1 gallon and I've been trying to decide what to do with it for a while. I've also wanted a tank at work but I only work 9 months a year (college lecturer) so I need something easy to transport home for the summer. Plus I don't have a lot of room. THIS IS PERFECT.

I'm 90% sure I'll be doing this.

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did find a betta tank that I think will work out great!

Thanks for looking one up for me, but I spent a few evenings looking around and found a small glass beta tank with a small LED light that Im really considering. And its within the rule parameters!

Oh man, This is what I was really looking for! Love that tank. What kind of light is that?! I do want to keep the tank after the contest and would like to grow the moss ball in there. The tank I found right now only has a single small LED, which I suspect will be insufficient light to grow algae.

This was a whole little setup on Amazon. Mr. Aqua mini desktop. But you can really get creative with lighting. A desk lamp with a cfl or led par bulb would totally work.

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooh...

I have a... non traditional glass container.... that is less than 1 gallon and I've been trying to decide what to do with it for a while. I've also wanted a tank at work but I only work 9 months a year (college lecturer) so I need something easy to transport home for the summer. Plus I don't have a lot of room. THIS IS PERFECT.

I'm 90% sure I'll be doing this.
I say turn that 90% into 100%!!

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick reminder that if you’re looking to do the contest, remember to actually register. I had a few messages from people saying they were in, but you also need to register over at this page: https://reefnewsnetwork.com/shrimpcontest/

And don’t worry!! It’s quick. We only need your name, email, r2r ID and Instagram ID so we can track progress and get you your prizes if you win!

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the Instagram hashtag been created yet for posting? I’d also like to share collection of materials and any fun stuff involved! Please excuse me if I missed one in the explanation or somewhere... I’m pretty good at missing that stuff [emoji23]

I think I should start a build thread too [emoji848]

OP
OP
ReefWeeds

ReefWeeds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the Instagram hashtag been created yet for posting? I’d also like to share collection of materials and any fun stuff involved! Please excuse me if I missed one in the explanation or somewhere... I’m pretty good at missing that stuff [emoji23]

I think I should start a build thread too [emoji848]
Yes!! The build thread is such a good idea!! The Instagram hashtag is #RNNShrimpContest

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back