Reef Octo 200EXT Protein Skimmer - FEED PUMP Recommendation/Suggestions

LukasEragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octo 200EXT Protein Skimmer[1] which is a "recirculating" or "external" design which needs to be fed by a dedicated water flow. Some people use their return manifold to provide this feed or use a dedicated feed pump. It can be used either inside or outside the sump due to the design, but due to space I have to have it installed inside the sump.

This skimmer comes from the factor packaged with a VarioS-4 pump for its recirculating pump so I picked up a second VarioS-4 pump[2] for the feed pump. Now that I'm using it, I am finding that this is TOO much GPH for the feed flow.

VarioS-4 pump - Max GPH = 1050
I spoke with Octo and they said the suggested feed rate for the 200EXT Skimmer is from 600 to 1000GPH.

But even with the VarioS-4 Pump at it's LOWEST setting (5 settings on the controller) the water level INSIDE in the body of skimmer is way too high which causes it to overflow.

Another detail Octo shared with me was that they recommended the skimmer sit in 8-9in water height. In my sump the water level is 7.75in height.

To keep the setup matching....I consider using the next sized down VarioS-2 pump[3] but this has a max flow rating of like 800GPH which isn't much of a difference from the current VarioS-4. I worry that I'll have a similar issue if using the VarioS-2 pump as well.

So I'm looking for suggestions on possible alternatives to the feed pump. I would rather use a DC pump which has controllable flow rates rather than using a valve to control the flowrate. Thanks!

[1] Reef Octo 200EXT Protein Skimmer

[2] VarioS-4 Pump

[3] VarioS-2 Pump

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 150 Ext recirculating, sitting in the sump— just like you. (I can’t say whey there is even a ‘recommended Sump water level’— not even relevant with a recirculating skimmer if you ask me. But Oh Well.) Lol.

I use a cheap variable speed Jaebo off Amazon. All sorts of sizes (gph), and some come in red if that helps with your color scheme. Lol. Why spend anymore on a piece of equipment that isn’t mission-critical? If/when it conks-out, buy a new one. Best wishes!

OP
OP
LukasEragon

LukasEragon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 150 Ext recirculating, sitting in the sump— just like you. (I can’t say whey there is even a ‘recommended Sump water level’— not even relevant with a recirculating skimmer if you ask me. But Oh Well.) Lol.

I use a cheap variable speed Jaebo off Amazon. All sorts of sizes (gph), and some come in red if that helps with your color scheme. Lol. Why spend anymore on a piece of equipment that isn’t mission-critical? If/when it conks-out, buy a new one. Best wishes!
Great idea....I'll for sure look into some of the Jaebo options. I found the VarioS-2 pump for 215$ so cost isn't super high but definitely a consideration.

Yeah, I didn't figure the water level should matter due to the recirculating design, so I'm not sure why Octo support shared that detail, but never the less that came from them directly lol. Perhaps the person I spoke to isn't familiar with this specific type of skimmer design? Oh well who knows. (that said...the level in the sump IS the same water level in the skimmer body at rest....so if the sump was SUPER high water level I could see that causing issues)

coraldreams

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the Jaebo loud?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back