Reef Octopus 6" Regal 150INT Internal Protein Skimmer not Bubbling

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer stopped bubbling even though the pump is still running. I thought it may be dirty so I cleaned the unit. I have checked the the airflow and when I cover the air intake I see the levels drop so I don't think it is that. I have moved the gate valve through all positions but still no bubbles. Not sure what else I'm supposed to check so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot, one thing I did notice at one point was a large bubble form in the skimmer and raise up to the top and burst.

I have an image of the skimmer attached.

PXL_20210624_174629863.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although it isn't a complete answer, this thread may provide a tip or two to try:

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I have had mine running well for three years until just recently. Since this is the first chamber in the sump it is a constant water level, unless all of a sudden it does not like this water level. I will move it up and down to see if it improves but the other dialing in I've tried. And funny, but I have had the same issue as well in the link about the power and overflowing if it is raised too high. But at least it saves the pump life. I almost wonder if that is the problem now. I wonder if I should get another pump and see if that is the issue. 10X points at BRS so it is sort of a discount. Shame to spend more money.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I have had mine running well for three years until just recently. Since this is the first chamber in the sump it is a constant water level, unless all of a sudden it does not like this water level. I will move it up and down to see if it improves but the other dialing in I've tried. And funny, but I have had the same issue as well in the link about the power and overflowing if it is raised too high. But at least it saves the pump life. I almost wonder if that is the problem now. I wonder if I should get another pump and see if that is the issue. 10X points at BRS so it is sort of a discount. Shame to spend more money.
When you cleaned it, did you remove the housing and check the impeller on the pump?

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's not getting air, that's about the only thing that would prevent bubbles from occurring assuming the rest of the pump is intact running. My vertex omega 200 can get a nasty build up in the silicone line and deep where it has the adjustable air venturi on the pump itself.

Didn't see anything about checking for air restrictions, if so please ignore ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back