Reef Octopus Calcium reactor reviews? Dual vs single?

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, been in the hobby a long time but never ran a calcium reactor yet. I think its time though.... I'm sick of buying 2 part by the 5 gallon bucket and having to make several gallons a month.

I was looking at the Reef Octopus reactors and am debating between 3 models,

VarioS CR220
SRO CR5000D
SRO CR3000D

Current system is a 120 + 40 frag + 40 sump with rather heavy SPS load I would say going off of my current 2 part dosing of 400ml per day. I'm thinking any of these would work but hoping someone who has experience with any or all of these models has any input.

Was also looking to run them with the carbon doser regulator with APEX control and the kamoer ca dosing pump.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second stage can help burn off excess co2 from the first chamber. If your first chamber has no excess, then it does nothing. You can tune a reactor to not have excess co2. Many people think that it is the lower pH from the effluent that drops tank pH, but it the excess co2 that does it.

I would recommend that if you are wanting to use a pH probe and controller to run the reactor, then get a second chamber since these usually do have excess co2 at times from the "dumping." If you are going to tune the reactor for 24/7 operation and not use a pH controller, then a single chamber is fine.

I have run a bunch of different reactor and they are more the same than different. They recirculate water, allow in a small steam of tankwater and co2 and let out a small stream of effluent. They are simple devices. I like Korallin since it traps co2 in the top, but I would glady use a GEO or many other kinds. Currently running a few Korallins and AquaMaxx - I really like that the AquaMaxx has a pre filter for the inlet, but i hate that it will not trap co2 or air bubbles, so it is harder to tune. They each have their good and bad points. For the kind of money that the RO costs, I would get a GEO or different type since I feel that they have better build quality with more rigid materials.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t find a second ‘scrubbing’ chamber to be all that useful. I do run one, and the finer media in that chamber does decline over time, but very slowly and suggests that the amount of excess CO2 is small. I actually prefer using a second chamber as a way to better and more completely dissolve CO2. In my system, CO2 is added to the top of a cannister filled with bioballs; circulation pump pulls from the bottom of that initial chamber and pushes water up through the main rubble chamber. Water out of the top of the rubble chamber recirculates through the top of the initial chamber. Probably more than most folks would need in a CaRx, but food for thought regardless.

EBE91A99-637B-4CA7-8FD1-82548BA36876.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second stage can help burn off excess co2 from the first chamber. If your first chamber has no excess, then it does nothing. You can tune a reactor to not have excess co2. Many people think that it is the lower pH from the effluent that drops tank pH, but it the excess co2 that does it.

I would recommend that if you are wanting to use a pH probe and controller to run the reactor, then get a second chamber since these usually do have excess co2 at times from the "dumping." If you are going to tune the reactor for 24/7 operation and not use a pH controller, then a single chamber is fine.

I have run a bunch of different reactor and they are more the same than different. They recirculate water, allow in a small steam of tankwater and co2 and let out a small stream of effluent. They are simple devices. I like Korallin since it traps co2 in the top, but I would glady use a GEO or many other kinds. Currently running a few Korallins and AquaMaxx - I really like that the AquaMaxx has a pre filter for the inlet, but i hate that it will not trap co2 or air bubbles, so it is harder to tune. They each have their good and bad points. For the kind of money that the RO costs, I would get a GEO or different type since I feel that they have better build quality with more rigid materials.

I actually just watched the best video comparing 1 vs 2 reaction Chambers and they seem to suggest the pH difference is very small but rather the big difference is having a higher effluent dkh.

About Geo vs octo, they seem pretty similar to me. I've seen the build quality of the octo skimmers and I think they're solid enough and seem similar to the Geo product builds I've seen. I like the colors of the varios reactor and the varios pumps in generally which I use a few of.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t find a second ‘scrubbing’ chamber to be all that useful. I do run one, and the finer media in that chamber does decline over time, but very slowly and suggests that the amount of excess CO2 is small. I actually prefer using a second chamber as a way to better and more completely dissolve CO2. In my system, CO2 is added to the top of a cannister filled with bioballs; circulation pump pulls from the bottom of that initial chamber and pushes water up through the main rubble chamber. Water out of the top of the rubble chamber recirculates through the top of the initial chamber. Probably more than most folks would need in a CaRx, but food for thought regardless.

EBE91A99-637B-4CA7-8FD1-82548BA36876.jpeg

Looks great. But much more than I want to set up.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was also looking to run them with the carbon doser regulator with APEX control and the kamoer ca dosing pump.

That will get the job done and you'll love how it works with Apex Fusion.

That Neptune lab grade ph probe has served me well, but I do replace once a year.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of them TBH, their user friendly design is nice, but overtime the uniseals will start seep leaking and need to be replaced, Not a big deal, but just a hassle.

Once you go Korallin, you wont go back.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 ml a day?

nGZqBpB.png
Lol
Can't even imagine the rise in the salinity.

Yes, its intense. 400ml alk and 370ml of cal currently. The salinity rise is a bit intense as well. I take about a liter of water out every few days just to let ro water lower the salinity a bit. I also mix my monthly 20% water change about 0.003 lower than my tank.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a big fan of them TBH, their user friendly design is nice, but overtime the uniseals will start seep leaking and need to be replaced, Not a big deal, but just a hassle.

Once you go Korallin, you wont go back.

Yes the uniseals are something that I have heard about being a problem, but I think having that dang dip tube is annoying when filling up the reactor. If I decide to avoid uniseals I may end up going for an aquamaxx then as I use their sulfer reactor and it seems to be a decent design.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, its intense. 400ml alk and 370ml of cal currently. The salinity rise is a bit intense as well. I take about a liter of water out every few days just to let ro water lower the salinity a bit. I also mix my monthly 20% water change about 0.003 lower than my tank.

Well,
That's a big plus for going with a cal reactor. Your salinity will stay stable.

Just an FWIW:
I you decide pull with your kamoer, then you need a small pump pushing in-take water, so that your quick connects and other things will not suck in air.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,
That's a big plus for going with a cal reactor. Your salinity will stay stable.

Just an FWIW:
I you decide pull with your kamoer, then you need a small pump pushing in-take water, so that your quick connects and other things will not suck in air.

shouldnt all of the quick connectors be air tight?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shouldnt all of the quick connectors be air tight?

Yeah,
When they have back pressure (their sealed tight), but not if the back pressure is lost.

You can still push with your kamoer and keep back pressure in your setup.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the uniseals are something that I have heard about being a problem, but I think having that dang dip tube is annoying when filling up the reactor. If I decide to avoid uniseals I may end up going for an aquamaxx then as I use their sulfer reactor and it seems to be a decent design.

Yeah, its not a big deal usually the salt creep plugs the seep itself, bit its sloppy.

Btw on filling any media reactor
Use a latex glove thumb or finger to plug the tube while filling.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the uniseals. Put them on a yearly replacement list... you do not want to wait until they go bad. I have a no-uniseal policy now after having a unit a long time ago with them.

If you are going to control with Apex, then a second chamber is probably a good idea. With your high demand, you might soon switch to not use a pH controller anymore, but the second chamber will not hurt anything if you do.

My AquaMaxx leaked air in through the pump tubing. Easy to fix, but it took me a while to figure it out. If you get one, then just seal all of the connectors going to the pump, and away, when you get it.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, its not a big deal usually the salt creep plugs the seep itself, bit its sloppy.

Btw on filling any media reactor
Use a latex glove thumb or finger to plug the tube while filling.

smart idea with the glove cover. Never thought of that.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot about the uniseals. Put them on a yearly replacement list... you do not want to wait until they go bad. I have a no-uniseal policy now after having a unit a long time ago with them.

If you are going to control with Apex, then a second chamber is probably a good idea. With your high demand, you might soon switch to not use a pH controller anymore, but the second chamber will not hurt anything if you do.

My AquaMaxx leaked air in through the pump tubing. Easy to fix, but it took me a while to figure it out. If you get one, then just seal all of the connectors going to the pump, and away, when you get it.

Im not necessarily trying to control it with the apex, just as a backup. From what I can see/read you basically set up the bubble counter on the carbon doser to be slow enough that it basically never requires the apex to shut it off, but it ends up being there as a backup.

OP
OP
Reefiness

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a separate note, now that im looking into getting a CA reactor, seems there is a media shortage... so maybe this will never happen. haha.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back