Reef Octopus Elite 150SSS enough for a 125g tank w/ algae scrubber + fleece roller?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning a new build with a 125g display. I'll have a fleece roller (Trigger system platinum 39 sump) and IceCap Algae Scrubber Pro (Medium). The only other filtration will be the skimmer.

I'm planning on keeping anemones, 5x anthias, 2x genicanthus, a pair of clowns, purple tang, and a few small gobies/blennies. I never feed my anemones and rarely feed my corals directly, so it'll just be an Avast Plank feeder going off throughout the day for the fish.

I think I'll probably be in the medium bioload category, but with the roller and algae scrubber, I think a 150SSS should be a good size?

Operator Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always seen that you should size down the skimmer by one size if you run a fleece roller. So if the 150SSS is rated for 75-100, you're probably golden. Depending on your bioload and coral uptake, be prepared to monitor nutrients so they don't bottom out. It might be awhile before you ever start your algae scrubber. I've seen in several threads.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the scrubber is going to do the bulk of the nitrate and phosphate control for your system. The skimmer is going to be useful for water clarity and aeration. I'm jealous of your fleece roller. I want one. As mentioned, you want to be extremely diligent in testing nitrates and phosphates considering how much nutrient reduction stuff you have stacked up here. ATS are no joke. They work amazingly well, but they'll bite you if you don't respect that and keep a close eye.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in my experience I've gotten tanks down to 0 nitrate/phosphates and thought that was going to be a good thing, and only did it with some filter floss and a skimmer. But after the tank became pretty mature (4+ years) and I started feeding heavily, things figured themselves out.

Maybe a good strategy is to just keep adding fish and feeding more until I see those numbers go up a tiny bit from zero ;)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back