Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 Protein Skimmer questions

flobup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have had mine installed for like 2 months now, cant really seem to get in dialed in right. what number on the dial and how many inches of water do you keep yours in?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my #reefoctopus Essence 130 in about 8 inches of water although it could probably be a little lower (or have a short stand under it). I am have the dial pretty closed to closed.

OP
OP
F

flobup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my #reefoctopus Essence 130 in about 8 inches of water although it could probably be a little lower (or have a short stand under it). I am have the dial pretty closed to closed.
yeah I just moved mine to 8.5 and set it to just about closed as while. seems to be doing alot better. how long have u had this skimmer?

FLReef32043

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about ready to turn mine on and am looking at depth as well. When you say you have it in 8.5" or about 8" of water - I presume (probably a silly question) you are measuring from the BOTTOM of the skimmer - as opposed to a specific point on the body? I downloaded the instruction sheet and while it does give the depth the reference line just seems to be a point on the body as opposed to a clear statement of where to calculate the measurement.

I am also presuming this has to do with keeping the dial clear of any potential submersion?

Thanks,

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah I just moved mine to 8.5 and set it to just about closed as while. seems to be doing alot better. how long have u had this skimmer?

Good - I'm glad that it is working better! I bought the Essence S-130 skimmer about four months ago and have been using it on a 75g tank. I like the large skimmer cup, but the main reason that I got the S-130 was because of the small footprint and it allows me to put it in the main chamber of my sump along with the #reefoctopus L-150 Light Reactor.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am just about ready to turn mine on and am looking at depth as well. When you say you have it in 8.5" or about 8" of water - I presume (probably a silly question) you are measuring from the BOTTOM of the skimmer - as opposed to a specific point on the body? I downloaded the instruction sheet and while it does give the depth the reference line just seems to be a point on the body as opposed to a clear statement of where to calculate the measurement.

I am also presuming this has to do with keeping the dial clear of any potential submersion?

Thanks,

Yes, the measurement is from the bottom of the skimmer to the water line. You can change the water level or you can put the skimmer on a stand to raise the skimmer. The dial is a plastic mechanical part and, although it is above 8" from the bottom of the skimmer, it will not be impacted if it is submerged (for example, this may happen when the return pump is turned off for maintenance and the water level in the sump rises).

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed mine an hour ago so still breaking in. Overflowing like crazy. I tried everything. Then I put it on an empty Hanna Test Kit box and bam, no over flow lol. I cut pvc at one inch and it didn’t work but the 2.5invh Hanna box is perfect. Now to order a real stand. This hobby has me laughing

2EAB9077-B112-485A-8665-86445CE43F99.jpeg 8C0676CE-2D3C-4C83-B0A3-F2E5D2D86D30.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@SoAg Reefer - congratulations on the new skimmer! Let us know how it goes!

SoAg Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SoAg Reefer - congratulations on the new skimmer! Let us know how it goes!

Will do! Reef Octopus are the best skimmers imo. I’ve only ever had them so I’m jaded

OP- to answer your question, I had mine at 8” when I first turned it on and wide open. It’s been a few hours now and it’s sitting in 5.5” of water now and every 15 minutes I’ve been closing the dial one click at a time. I’m at number 7 right now with no overflow.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had more for two years. I still can’t get it to produce dark skim. I’ve tried literally everything.
258BB23B-F3BB-4DAD-AC5E-9474234C34F9.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back