Reef Octopus Light Reactor LR-150 vs. Tunze Macro Algae Reactor 3181

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am trying to decide which is the better cheato reactor, the Reef Octopus Light Reactor LR-150 vs. Tunze Macro Algae Reactor 3181.

Which one is the better of the two?
My guess is Reef Octopus will grow algae better but Tunze algae reactor looks pretty simple to harvest from. I've read that the Tunze algae reactor will stop spinning within a week or two if it's really growing but the users indicated it's not a big deal as the algae keeps growing. I would like to see how compact and how long it took the users to grow with their parameters.
Any others out there chime in please.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my tunze macro reactor. I don't trust any of these reactors mounted outside the sump. The tunze has a solid seal and and a magnetic top with screws. Sometimes still get drips. Also, would only run the tunze with chaeto. It need a dense algae to spin and not break apart. I like the quality of the build. If I had the sump room would go with an algae scrubber.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like my tunze macro reactor. I don't trust any of these reactors mounted outside the sump. The tunze has a solid seal and and a magnetic top with screws. Sometimes still get drips. Also, would only run the tunze with chaeto. It need a dense algae to spin and not break apart. I like the quality of the build. If I had the sump room would go with an algae scrubber.
Please post pictures of the algae in the reactor and also your next harvest. Love to see how it's doing.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be a couple of weeks. I don't expect the harvest to be big due to my tank. I have a huge skimmer, barebottom and 10 percent water changes per week. I did take the chaeto out and make smaller balls with it. Spinning very well now.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Chaeto grew very quick. Phosphates are undetectable. Chaeto no longer spins as it has almost doubled and is 3/4 full. Water flow not impeded. I took the chaeto out and examined it. There are no dead spots and seems very healthy. I have the reactor pump hooked up to my apex to go off every 8 hours for 10 minutes. This in theory will help condense the algae and as it will fall from the top as the water level drops (I have it in my sump). I have the water flow only at 25 percent. I am running light 16 hours. I bought a second tunze refugium light, but I don't think I need it. Overall very happy. No signs of hair algae in reactor. Very easy to service. Love the silicon tubing it comes with. If you want algae to spin then you can only have about 25 percent of the capacity of the reactor filled will chaeto. I would not recommend for any other algae but chaeto. Nogo was only partially successful.

OP
OP
C

CyberGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reactor pump hooked up to my apex to go off every 8 hours for 10 minutes.

So does this mean that when the pump is not turned on, the cheato only take out the nutrients inside the reactor chamber since no new tank water is passing through the chamber?

Why not let the cheato work 24/7 cleaning the entire tank system?

Also, Tunze has 2 size versions. I wish they also offer the bigger size in the USA.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does this mean that when the pump is not turned on, the cheato only take out the nutrients inside the reactor chamber since no new tank water is passing through the chamber?

YES. IF no water flow no nutrient export for a total of 30 minutes a day. I could run it constant, but I like doing it this way. You get minimal nutrient export when light off

Why not let the cheato work 24/7 cleaning the entire tank system?

Some run chaeto 24 hours a day. I prefer to run mine 16. My phosphates are zero, so I really don't think it would make a difference.

Also, Tunze has 2 size versions. I wish they also offer the bigger size in the USA.

I think the size is ideal for my 70 gallon system. That being said, if I did not run a huge skimmer (bubble magus 7), I would go with the bigger model. I imagine the bigger one will spin better as it can hold more algae. The amount of algae I have in this thing growing is pretty impressive. I have the current set at the lowest setting. I bought an extra light as it was on sale, but probably will not use. I may just hook the extra reactor light up to my apex and have it go on if the temp dips rather then my heater kicking in.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can update my review. Macro algae never spins. I wouldn't trust it to be watertight as some of the screws don't thread straight. I think it's a quality product and will grow macroalgae like crazy, but if I had the room, I would rather just plumb a separate refugium.

Fishbob50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Tunze for a month. I use it externally as a supplement to a scrubber on a 300 gallon system. I have not had any leaks or problems cleaning. As with others that replied, it stops spinning after 3 or 4 days. Aside from the spinning issue, I am impressed with the quality and ease of set up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back