Reef Octopus Regal skimmer will not work in my new Waterbox 190

Scott Hesler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing advice please...
I have a reef octopus regal 200 INT for my Water Box 190. Is there a way to reduce the water level where the skimmer is located? Currently my Water level is 10" in that area and Coralvue which handles reef octopus is telling me the water level needs to be 7-8" to work properly. I have less than 1" to raise the skimmer before hitting the upper stand cross support. The skimmer is generating micro bubbles outside the skimmer chamber and no foam.

TeamPOTO

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a trigger sump where you can control your water level, 10 inches is gonna be pretty high on most skimmers

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cut into your baffle to get your water level down to 8”, assuming your sump has baffles

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant u raise the skimmer on something

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing advice please...
I have a reef octopus regal 200 INT for my Water Box 190. Is there a way to reduce the water level where the skimmer is located? Currently my Water level is 10" in that area and Coralvue which handles reef octopus is telling me the water level needs to be 7-8" to work properly. I have less than 1" to raise the skimmer before hitting the upper stand cross support. The skimmer is generating micro bubbles outside the skimmer chamber and no foam.

@Scott Hesler - Can you put your Regal Protein skimmer on a stand?

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as stated he cannot raise the skimmer due to the supports inside his stand. While I dont knwo much about these systems, it looks like it has a factory built sump. you have three options. 1. Cut the baffle down on the sump chamber or drill holes in it to the 7 or 8 inches. 2. Get a different sump that has a shorter baffle on skimmer section. 3. get a shorter skimmer.

Is this what you have?
https://www.marinedepot.com/Platinu...iums-Waterbox_Aquariums-0W7459-FIAQML-vi.html

If so, you should have 36 inches of outside height of the stand. lets give it 2x4 construction top and bottom so that is 30" overall height inside. that should be plenty for most skimmers. does the sump sit on the bottom of the stand?

OP
OP
S

Scott Hesler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks pickupman66! yes its the platinum waterbox 190; I was able to get the skimmer to finally start foaming but still need to put a few more egg crates below it. Skimmer overflows when I put my Vectra L1 in feed mode. Despite putting the Regal in feed mode I'm finding the controller sometimes will flash red then go off completely signifying a impeller blockage. In order to start it up I have to literally uncouple the motor from the skimmer to get the thing working. Already filled up the collection cup several times with overflow. Getting pretty frustrating but hope to find the balance soon.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If turning off the return pump for feed mode causes the water level to rise in the skimmer chamber of the sump, then something is wrong. Perhaps you have too much water in the sump?

OP
OP
S

Scott Hesler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all your suggestions it turned out the old Reef Octopus Controller was bad.
Probably the reason why it was sold on Ebay ... learned my lesson. This is a great forum and I appreciate all the feedback!

robnpg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did we ever find out why he couldnt sit the skimmer on a stand? That stand should have about 30" of room to play with....

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back