Reef Octopus VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH)

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the 10-year warranty is where its at with ABYZZ
Well lets do the math.

I paid $206 each for a pair of Varios 6 1720gph pumps for $412. They come with a 2 year warranty but i can attest that they last twice as long, and that's without ever being cleaned (running that experiment right now) without even needing an impeller. These likely last longer than 4 years, but ill stick to what I've witnessed personally.

Average cost per year for 2 pumps: $103

A pair of Abyzz A100s will run you $2,700.
10 year warranty but lets say it goes 15 years without even breaking an impeller for the sake of argument.

Average cost per year for two pumps: $180. Not a huge difference mind you when spread out over 15 years but a much bigger front loaded investment.

I am already planning om upgrading to Cor in a few years but with Abyzz it would be like being locked into a bad marriage...you are kinda committed to lock them in and use them long term as your going to lose more in resale than an entire COR costs NIB....so be prepared to be stuck with them along time.

I bought my hydras on sale for $489 each...they still need to last 7 years or so to even begin to be worth the investment IMO. (2 down, 5 to go..)....and i HATE that feeling of being financially locked in.

The Varios, at $200 each....i only really need to get a couple years use before moving them down to upgrades for smaller tanks or even putting them in my storage closet as back ups.

Last edited:

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well lets do the math.

It wasn't about calculating value or cost per year. I too bought 2 Vario-s pumps (post #77 in this very thread)...I was just stating that if these fail me I (personally) would THEN go with the ABYZZ

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't about calculating value or cost per year. I too bought 2 Vario-s pumps (post #77 in this very thread)...I was just stating that if these fail me I (personally) would THEN go with the ABYZZ
Undetstood.

I do all my purchases based on cost per year.

IE, my vortechs need to last 5 yrs, my WAVs need to last 3, i try to get 5 years between controller purchases, my Hydras 7, my Kessils 5 etc.

If a product doesn't hit my preset value based functional life...i black list it and move to something else.

My first gen Jaebos were garbage, both goin out between 14 and 15 months. To be honest for what they cost...not bad.

My 2nd Gen RW8s running 27 months w minimal maintenance have turned out to be real competitors...i have no problem buying them again for my fowlr.

I had a first gen Gyre x150 that was $299 and lasted only about 3 or 4 months and their customer service wouldn't RMA it, they just sent repair instructions......and yep-blacklisted.

Since Vortech are modular and can be repaired without buying a complete unit...i suspect my math on them will require some thought....i have zero problem paying $75 for a new wetside every 3 or 4 years though.

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So question to the OP. How has the pump held up long term? Still happy with it? I have not read the whole thread so if it's already covered I'm sorry.

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the OP, but I have a Varios-6 as part of my Regal skimmer and a Varios-8 for my return. I love the pumps, but Coral Vue support is a little cumbersome. I'd still say it's a great pump and really quiet.

Last edited:

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second that. While the controller is really superior, as well as the included accessories, the pump itself feels and seems like the Jebao but uses higherwattage and moves less GPH.

Last edited:

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS latest video offers some good insight on what we’ve talked about and reiterates what was said about the Reef Octopus Varios Pump.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i have a noob question
1. are you all able to dissasemble the pump to clean the propeller? I bought mine used and from a youtube video by coralvue I should be able to take it apart. it seems mine was glued?!

2. what are the different level flows per setting, i ran mine at the lowest and have a 90 galon tank, not sure if it is too low of a flow.

thanks

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. are you all able to dissasemble the pump to clean the propeller? I bought mine used and from a youtube video by coralvue I should be able to take it apart. it seems mine was glued?!

2. what are the different level flows per setting, i ran mine at the lowest and have a 90 galon tank, not sure if it is too low of a flow.

thanks
I just cleaned my skimmer pump yesterday, on the face in the corner is an arrow to open and close it twists on and off. also you need to remove base first it slides on and off.
@Jeremy@coralvew
@pelphrey Im liking mine and the float switch is the bomb

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need to soak it in a 50/50 mix of vinegar/ro water if it is really dirty. Mine is sometimes hard to remove but keep trying it will turn and as stated above, slide the base off first.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cleaned my skimmer pump yesterday, on the face in the corner is an arrow to open and close it twists on and off. also you need to remove base first it slides on and off.
@Jeremy@coralvew
@pelphrey Im liking mine and the float switch is the bomb

Thanks i see there is a direction to open and dissamle the pump, however it seems to be stuck as if it was glued, i trid dipping it in vinegar but it didnt help. I was wondering if anybody else had issues doing this?

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks

Yes of course you are able to open the pump for impeller service. Please check the back side of the volute to ensure the user did not secure the volute with screws. The volute should just rotate off. Here is a quick video of how it should come apart:

Here is a flow chart for the VarioS 6 pump. That will give you an idea of what your pump produces per head pressure. Then each power setting is about 15-20% or the total flow at 100% RPM.

varios_6-pressurechart_2.jpg

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, mine really wont come off. I saw that video and though it should be easy. Im gonna try to dip it in vinegar longer this time.

Thanks Jeremy for thr graph. Im sorry but i have another question.

I have a 8 ft water head pressure based on that graph what flow settings should i use from the 1-5?

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, mine really wont come off. I saw that video and though it should be easy. Im gonna try to dip it in vinegar longer this time.

Thanks Jeremy for thr graph. Im sorry but i have another question.

I have a 8 ft water head pressure based on that graph what flow settings should i use from the 1-5?
You are probably just under 800gph at 8ft and not accounting for any elbows or plumbing restrictions. With a 90gal your looking for around 400-500gph turnover rate through your sump. So if I had to guess you would be at power level 2 or 3.

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably just under 800gph at 8ft and not accounting for any elbows or plumbing restrictions. With a 90gal your looking for around 400-500gph turnover rate through your sump. So if I had to guess you would be at power level 2 or 3.

Thank you, you all are awesome!

Lor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i have a varios 6, so far so good been using it for six months no issues. Only maintenance ive done is soak it in vinegar and rodi every other month during water change.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the VarioS 6 also and love it. It is doing exactly what i wanted out of my return pump, and i have no complaints at all with noise. This baby is real quiet..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back