Reef Octopus Varios2 return pump.. to small for my new build?

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I am setting up a new build (red sea reefer 250) I bought an reef octopus varios 2 for my return pump. I plan on being SPS in this setup. Not using the return pump as my primary flow to the sticks.. I've taken a liking to the red sea gyres lately and the price point they have is pretty good.
anyways...

Do you think this pump is a good fit for this size ~53 gallon display?

Feeling as though i should have purchased the varios4...

Let me know your thoughts!

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a V2 on my rs250 and keep it at the 4 setting so roughly 75% of the power. Liked them so much I bought a second for a back up. You are better off with a little less turn over but better power heads in the tank moving water. and yes the new red sea reef waves look awesome and two of those on either end would work great for SPS flow. Back in the day we thought high turn over was a good idea and now a days the thinking is for much lower turn over. It gives the carbon or skimmer or fuge time to do its thing. A lot of people don't rely on the return pump for anything besides getting water back up to the tank from the sump, the pumps in the tank are the workhorses of today.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 250 using the V2. I have two Nero 5 in there now but would of gotten the reef wave 25’s if they existed last year.

2F2A4BF2-5FCB-4240-A2EB-AED9A30C526D.jpeg

OP
OP
Nanojoe

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 250 using the V2. I have two Nero 5 in there now but would of gotten the reef wave 25’s if they existed last year.

2F2A4BF2-5FCB-4240-A2EB-AED9A30C526D.jpeg

BEAUTIFUL set of corals you got man! Thanks for answering my question. Im glad you have the same return pump and tank. Makes me feel better about my purchase. Cant wait for the tank to get here..

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BEAUTIFUL set of corals you got man! Thanks for answering my question. Im glad you have the same return pump and tank. Makes me feel better about my purchase. Cant wait for the tank to get here..
Thanks for the compliment! You could always run the pump @ 100 but its not needed. It will last longer at 75 or 50%. These pumps are so quiet too I never hear it. If you havent got a skimmer yet a reef octo 110SS fits nicely and works so well when I clean it my wife and daughter gag from the smell. They pull some nasty stuff for the price

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 159 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 34.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.2%
Back