REEF OF THE MONTH - April 2022: RussiReef's Phenomenal SPS Tank! 280 Gallons of Acro Inspiration!

SnowIce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this tank in person and it looks absolutely stunning and beautiful. I think I probably over stayed my welcome just staring at the wonderful nooks and crannies of color in this tank! Congratulations!

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen this tank in person and it looks absolutely stunning and beautiful. I think I probably over stayed my welcome just staring at the wonderful nooks and crannies of color in this tank! Congratulations!
Thanks a lot. Come over again and we will talk corals all day.

Hagios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well done and congratulations! Super amazing and beautiful tank and collection of inhabitants.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Beautiful! Patience definitely pays off. I could star at that tank for hours of I was in front of it. I need some of those frags, lol.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Patience definitely pays off. I could star at that tank for hours of I was in front of it. I need some of those frags, lol.
Glad you like it. Thank you for the compliment. Once in a while I do trim my colonies and have an extra frags for sale or trade . If you are interested, contact me for more information.

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Glad you like it. Thank you for the compliment. Once in a while I do trim my colonies and have an extra frags for sale or trade . If you are interested, contact me for more information.
Thats great, I'm going to save your info and definitely message you very soon!
Thank You!

TonyP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef of the month  title copy.jpg

R2R Username: @RussiReef

side view2.jpeg

Introduction:

My name is Garry and I was born in beautiful city of Odessa, Ukraine which is located on the shore of Black Sea. There I kept freshwater fish for as long as I can remember. When I immigrated to this country 34 years ago, I started saving a few dollars here and there and got my first glass tank at a garage sale. This was the beginning of my freshwater tank journey in USA. Within the year, I already had four of them in the small apartment with my wife and two children.

Before diving into the saltwater reef tank, I did a lot of reading and research. Special thanks goes out to Reef2Reef community, who gave me tons of knowledge and guidance from experienced reefers. I started with 280 gallon reef which happens to be my first and only reef tank (not counting Frag tank that was added 3 years ago, when my corals started to overgrow the tank).

My display tank is packed to the brim with healthy corals (of course, I’m always trying to make some real estate space for something new). Despite my tank being 90% acropora dominated, I also love other corals as well: Flower pots, torches, mushrooms, anemones, Montipora species, chalices, clam, frogspawn and others.

I attribute my success to my local friend in the hobby (David, owner of Vivid Aquariums) who helped me with the setup and who guided me and taught me from A-Z in the beginning. Many thanks go out to gurus in this hobby: Joe, owner of Unique Corals (@uniquecorals), Steve Garrett from Garrett Acropolis; Dave Botwin, and Eliot from @GoldenStateCorals (just to name a few) who have helped me along the way.

My tank has been running for nine and a half years. Of course, this has not been without some hiccups, especially in the first three years, feeling like it was a complete failure. Fish disease, leak in the tank, and understanding water chemistry were just a few of the challenges that I had to overcome. Patience, dedication and perseverance helped me to conquer these obstacles.

A few pictures from when the tank was being set up:

IMG_1355.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_1361.jpeg

Full Tank Shot from a couple of years ago

FULL TANK 2020.jpeg

System Profile:
  • Display tank: Custom 72 x 30 x 30 Eurostyle tank, 280 gal
  • Glass or Acrylic: Glass
  • Stand: Custom wood stand 36 inches tall; canopy 20 inches tall
  • Sump: Custom 48 x 24 x 20 acrylic, holds approx. 40 gal of water.
  • Protein skimmer: Super Reef Octopus 3000 Int. Due to nutrients increase, I have installed a second skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 9.
  • Carbon/phosphate filtration: GFO Reactor and active carbon in a mesh bag
  • Return pump: Reeflo Snapper Dart
  • Water circulation: Closed loop powered by dedicated Reeflo pump with a 4 way Ocean Motion device; 2 x MP60 and 2 x MP40.
  • Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: Bubble Magus Dosing 3 pump unit.
  • Lighting (display): 6x EchoTech Radion Pro Gen 4 supplemented with 10 x T5, mounted about 16 inches above the water line.
  • Auto top-off: Spectrapure
  • Heating/cooling: Heating: 300 Watt Eheim heater; Cooling: JBJ Arctica 1/3 HP - both controlled by Apex
  • System control: Apex
sump2.jpeg

pumps.jpeg

dosing.jpeg
  • Grow-out tank: Custom glass 72 x 18 x 12 tall
  • Lighting (grow-out): 3 x EcoTech Radion Pro Gen 4
  • Flow (grow-out): 1 x MP10 and 1 x MP40
  • Any other details: No filter socks; 2 x Canopy fans for air circulation
frag tank.jpeg

speciosa 2.jpeg

Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives:

Water Circulation is very important in the SPS dominated tank, it should be as random as possible. MP60 and MP40 change the mode every 2 hours. They turn on at 100% four times a day for 10 min in order to blow off any detritus which accumulates on the corals.

side view - mp pumps.jpeg

Water Parameters:
  • Temp: 78-79° F
  • pH: 7.9 – 8.1
  • Specific gravity: 1.025 – 1.026
  • NO3: 10-15
  • Ca: 430-450
  • Alk: 7.5 -8.5
  • Mg: 1350 -1450
  • PO4: 0.09- 0.14
colorffull corner.jpeg

What salt mix do you use? Red Sea Coral Pro

What kind of rock did you start with? A combination of Live and Dry rocks

What is your substrate? 3” Carib Sea Sand

fts 2.jpeg

Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives: Not trying to chase specific numbers, just keep them in the acceptable range.

What and how do you dose for the big 3 (alk/cal/mag)? Dosing for Alk/cal/mag via dosing pump with Brightwell products.

Are you dosing anything else for your reef health (carbon dosing, aminos, etc.)? Not a big fan of dosing any other chemicals to my system. I do add Vitamin C and Yeast randomly.

side view3.jpeg

Lighting Summary and Objectives: Since I consider myself an old school reefer, I prefer whiter light in my tank. Running at 80% of both whites for the duration of 7 hours.

Lighting Photoperiod:
  • Display tank: 11 Hours
  • Grow-out tank: 10 Hours
side view.jpeg

Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives: Water quality is the most important subject in reef-keeping. I try to keep all of the parameters in the acceptable range. If something is out of range, I slowly correct the issue.

What is your export strategy? 2 skimmers, GFO Reactor, 20% water changes every other week.

sump.jpeg

right tank.jpeg

What is your maintenance routine?

Daily:

• Observe, inspect and correct as needed livestock and equipment.
  • Feed the fish.
Weekly:
  • Clean the glass 2 times a week
  • Top off alc/mag and calcium in the containers.
Other:
  • 3-4 times a year I send off for an ICP test.
  • A few times a year I clean pumps and blow my sand and rocks with turkey baster.
LEFT SIDE.jpeg

chalices.jpeg

Tank Inhabitants — Fish:
  1. 3 x Yellow Tang
  2. Black Tang
  3. Hippo Tang
  4. Sohal Tang
  5. Desjardini Tang
  6. 4 x Clownfish
  7. Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse
  8. Pair of Femininus Wrasse
  9. Melanurus Wrasse
  10. Royal Gramma
  11. Diamond Goby
  12. Long Nose Hawkfish
  13. Flame Hawk
  14. Filefish
midlle tank.jpeg

full tank4.jpeg

flowerpot.jpeg

Tank Inhabitants — Other Invertebrates:
  1. Large amount of different snails
  2. 3 x Cleaner shrimp
  3. 3 x Flame Shrimp
  4. 4 x Sea Urchins
  5. Tiger Tale Cucumbers
  6. Fighting Conches – 15 x
Tank Inhabitants — Corals:

Over 100 different acropora corals from green slimer and bird nest to the more sensitive acropora speciosa, branching and plating montipora species, couple of chalices, mushrooms, clam, frogspawn, flowerpots, and a few other LPS corals.

A_JF Orange Passion Colony 1.jpeg

acro.jpeg

acro2.jpeg

acro3.jpeg

acro4.jpeg

amazeballs12-3.jpeg

Aqua SD Doomsday 5.jpeg

atl joleen.jpeg

bc angelica-3.jpeg

chalice.jpeg

chalice6.jpeg

cyrax-2.jpeg

Greg Carol's Ultmate Eflo 10.jpeg

JF Homewrecker 2.jpeg

JAWBREAKER MUSHROOM-2.jpeg

lps.jpeg

ORA Pearlberry 1.jpeg

Oregon Tort 1.jpeg

mushroom.jpeg

purple monster.jpeg

rainbow splice-4.jpeg

red dragon-2.jpeg

red mandarin.jpeg

red matrix-3.jpeg

spesiosa105.jpeg

sunday driver.jpeg

tsa bill muray.jpeg

uc mad hater.jpeg

uc tutti frutti-2.jpeg

vivid insanity blue.jpeg

water melon chalice.jpeg

BC Bonfire 2.jpeg

Fish and Coral Feeding:

I do not feed the corals directly. For fish feeding, I alternate between frozen food and pellets, Nori – 4 x a week.

How did you decide what to keep in your tank?

In regards to corals, I usually collect what catches my eye. As far as the fish and invertebrates – Should be reef safe (don’t eat corals).

Any stocking regrets?
  • Red carpet anemone. It ate quite a few of my expensive fish. Got rid of him few years ago (over 12 inches across).
  • Six Line wrasse - very, very mean fish.
Any fish, invert, or coral you will NEVER keep?

I will not keep any fish that are not reef safe.
I also will not keep any invasive corals like GSP and xenia.

What do you love most about the hobby?

I love the beauty of the corals in general. The growth of a little frag into a gorgeous colony fascinates me.

uc tutti frutti-3.jpeg

How long have you been doing this? 9 ½ years

Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby? Me, myself and I :)

Who or what in the hobby most influences/inspires you?

The most inspiring for me are the hobbyists, who have been keeping corals for 30+ years straight.

If you could have any tank, what size would it be and why?

The largest that I can afford to keep full of a vast variety of corals and fish.

fts 3.jpeg

full tank shot-3.jpeg

Favorite fish?

Lennardi Wrasse and Choati Wrasse

Favorite coral?

Honestly, I love them all, but Tyree Daniella is very special for me as it was named after my granddaughter at the time she was born.

tyree daniela.jpeg

Favorite invert?

Love them all.

How do you typically get over setbacks?

Step back, find the cause, take a deep breath, and don’t make quick irrational decisions that you may regret later. Do not panic. Slowly but surely correct the issue and move on.

Have you faced any major challenges with this particular tank, and if so, how did you overcome?

Yes, just like many other reefers. I try not to use chemicals to solve the issue, but instead try to find a natural remedy (e.g. for overgrowth of bubble algae, I use emerald crab; for aiptasia, I bought berghia nudis; explosion of asterina starfish – implemented harlequin shrimp; for majano – filefish, and so on…).

left side full shoot.jpeg

Any special tips for success or advice you'd like to share with other reefers?

Patience, dedication and perseverance. Do not over react, when problems arise, step back and analyze the issue before you make a final decision. Talk to experienced reefers (who have had a successful reef tank) and see if they have a better solution for your situation. It will help you to not reinvent the wheel.

Final Thoughts?

Keep it simple. Do not overcomplicate. Keep the water chemistry in range. Test often. Do not be cheap on the important equipment (i.e. lights, pumps, etc.).

Conclusion: I really enjoy collecting modern SPS’s as well as old school corals. Most of them seem to be happy and thriving in my tank. This collection of corals creates jaw dropping colors and shapes within the tank. My supportive wife and I really enjoy looking at the tank every available moment in time and spend relaxing evenings watching this beauty.

full tank_.jpeg
Amazing tank Garry...hopefully you'll have time for me when I fly to your area soon. Be an honor to meet you in person.

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Tony!
Looking forward to your visit! Just give me few days in advance ( I have to clean the glass in my tank before your visit, lol ) notice and we can plan accordingly.

Best,
Garry

Elmer.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your gorgeous and inspirational tank!
Question: did you aim the MP60s directly at the corals? At what speed do you run them?

WhyMe?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stunning SPS.
1. Do you have a build thread?
2. What is your purpose for grow out tank? To sale frags or keep in case an issue occurs in display tank?
3. Do you mind sharing some of the issues 1st three years and how you overcame them?
Thank you

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stunning SPS.
1. Do you have a build thread?
2. What is your purpose for grow out tank? To sale frags or keep in case an issue occurs in display tank?
3. Do you mind sharing some of the issues 1st three years and how you overcame them?
Thank you
Thank you for your complement.
1. Yes, I have started it awhile back, but got lazy and did not keep up with it (most of the information on my tank you can find in this thread).
2. Once I reached certain point, where my corals took off in growth, I needed to trim it down, so I ordered a frag tank, which I use for corals that I trade and sell.
3. First couple of years of my reefing journey were definitely miserable. To name a few: stabilizing water chemistry; flow issues; all kinds of algae; nutrient export - all that lead to coral death. Then, my tank finally matured and by learning and reading many articles here on R2R and listening to many experts, the tank slowly starter to flourish. What helped me during this difficult time - stick with the plan I had and lots of patience. I tried to keep the system simple and not over complicated. Hope this helps.

Happy Reefing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back