REEF OF THE MONTH - December 2022: Lou Schiavo's Pico Deskmate Masterpiece!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reef of the month title.jpg

Lou Schiavo of World Wide Corals is the winner of our Pico Tank Showdown!
We've decided to feature his award-winning @ESHOPPS.INC DeskMate Pico tank as our Reef of the Month for December 2022!

1 - getting started.jpeg
Photo of the reef as it was just getting started.

Introduction:
The Eshopps Deskmate 4.8 gallon AIO (All In One) Pico Tank might sound tiny, but it can pack a mighty punch! This small, all in one aquarium tank can fit almost anywhere when space is an issue but still give you tons of options when it comes to adding coral and saltwater fish! This month we will take an in-depth look at Lou's Deskmate that recently won the Reef2Reef Pico Tank Challenge, and hopefully inspire you to see the beauty a small tank can provide!

WCS08344.jpg

IMG_6516.jpg

System Profile:
  • Display tank: Eshopps DeskMate 4.8 Gallon AIO Aquarium
  • Stand: Office File Cabinet
  • Mechanical filtration: Eshopps 2.75” Nano Filter Sock
  • Carbon/phosphate filtration: n/a
  • Return pump: Sicce Micra Pump (90GPH)
  • Water circulation: Vivid Creative Aquatics-Random Flow Generator
  • Lighting: Aqua Illumination Prime 16 HD Reef Light
  • Calcium/alkalinity/magnesium dosing equipment: n/a
  • Auto top-off: n/a
  • Heating/cooling: 25 Watt Heater
  • System control: n/a
IMG_6540.jpg

Tank Specifications:
  • Dimensions: 11" x 12" x 10"
  • Display Tank Volume: 3.8 Gallons
  • AIO Chamber Volume: 1 Gallon
  • Total Water Volume: 4.8 Gallons
  • Acrylic Thickness: 6mm
IMG_6536.jpg

Water Circulation and Flow Summary and Objectives: Water movement plays a key role in maintaining fish & coral health in reef tank aquariums. My main goal is to keep the water moving enough to create surface agitation, prevent the accumulation of debris in the tank, behind rocks

Water Parameters:
  • Temp: 76 Degrees (F)
  • pH: 8.3
  • Specific gravity: 1.025
  • NO3: 10 ppm
  • Ca: 420 ppm
  • Alk: 8.3 dKH
  • Mg: 1400 ppm
  • PO4: 0.01ppm
IMG_6530.jpg

What salt mix do you use?

Brightwell Aquatics NēoMarine Salt is the salt mix I choose. Mainly because we have used it successfully for many years at World Wide Corals. I never intended to chemically dose the tank and that is another reason why I chose this salt mix. It actually provides everything needed, all major elements, minor and trace elements, in precise natural seawater ratios; all ions are formulated to be present in natural seawater concentrations.

What kind of rock did you start with? Live rock selected from WWC private stock

What is your substrate? CaribSea Fiji Pink

IMG_6532.jpg

Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium Summary and Objectives:

What and how do you dose for the big 3 (alk/cal/mag)?
Not dosing, doing weekly water changes. The idea is that each week with a 1-2 gallon water change the tank gets a refresh Reducing nitrates & phosphatase as well as adding the needed elements back into the tank.

IMG_6519.jpg

Are you dosing anything else for your reef health (carbon dosing, aminos, etc.)? I feed Polyp Lab Reef Roids 3 times per week

Lighting Summary and Objectives: Aquarium lighting provides the light necessary for corals to grow, thrive and stay overall healthy. Besides that, it also simulates natural light, which creates an environment that mimics a natural reef.

"Grow Baby! Grow!" is my main objective!

IMG_6526.jpg

Photoperiod: Once you get intensity right, on your lights, my best advice and what I do is to limit the photoperiod to about 8-9 hours. Include a scheduled ramp up period of 1 hour and ramp down period of 1 hour to mimic the natural sunrise & sunset effect.

Filtration and Water Quality Summary and Objectives:

To export excess solids & remove dissolved organic compounds from the water.

WCS08347.jpg

What is your export strategy?

Mechanical filtration - It’s important to understand that mechanical filtration, the straining of particulate matter from the water is not a form of nutrient export. Uneaten food, fish poop, and other detritus trapped in a mechanical-filtration medium with water flowing through it will continue to break down and release dissolved nutrients into the system. It’s not until the sock is rinsed or replaced that the nutrients are truly exported.

IMG_6524.jpg

What is your maintenance routine?

Daily: Clean the acrylic viewing area with a magic eraser sponge, top off with R/O water.
Weekly: 1-2 Gallon saltwater change, change filter sock and wipe down the outside of the tank. Also clean the sand with a small siphon house as well as blowing off the rocks to remove any excess detritus with a turkey baster prior to changing the water.

7 - update.jpeg

Tank Inhabitants—Fish:
  1. Yasha Goby
  2. Pair of small designer clownfish (on wish list)
Other Invertebrates:
  1. 1x Peppermint shrimp
  2. 5 x Trochus Snails
  3. 1 x Nassarius Snail
Tank Inhabitants— Corals:

My top 5 Favorite Corals in the tank
  1. WWC OG Bubble Gum Monster Chalice
  2. WWC Jawbreaker Mushroom Coral
  3. GMK- Grand Master Krak Zoanthids
  4. WWC Pink Krakatoa Zoanthids
  5. Jason Fox My Miami Chalice
WCS08343.jpg

WCS08341.jpg

Fish and Coral Feeding: Broadcast fed the tank 3x’s per week with PolypLab Reef Roids

Any stocking regrets? No

Any fish, invert, or coral you will NEVER keep? Sea Apple

What do you love most about the hobby? The people you meet, sharing your reef keeping knowledge, aquarium success and failures is what I love the most about the hobby.

4 - macro.jpeg

How long have you been doing this? 16 Years

Who was responsible for getting you into the hobby? Victor Fornari - Business Partner at WWC

5 - macro.jpeg

If you could have any tank, what size would it be and why? 2000++ Gallon Floor to Ceiling reef tank. Because of the sheer magnitude of feeling like you are part of the aquarium when you are in front of it.

Favorite fish? Hawaiian Flame Wrasse

Favorite coral? Acropora

Favorite invert? Sexy Shrimp

How do you typically get over setbacks? By stepping back to really analyze what is going on then formulating the best plan of attack. Also by consuming a few Moscow Mule Cocktails (Grey Goose Vodka Dose)

6 - macro.jpeg

Have you faced any major challenges with this particular tank, and if so, how did you overcome it? Yes… bubble algae, manual removal-be careful not to pop them inside the tank. Apitasia, added a peppermint shrimp- all good now

Any special tips for success or advice you'd like to share with other reefers? Be patient & stay consistent as possible on your tank care & aquarium husbandry

WCS08349.jpg

Final Thoughts? It is definitely an honor to be featured as a Reef2Reef-Reef of the month for the month of December 2022. This tank project got me fully back into reef keeping after several years of not keeping my own personal reef. I am glad to be back!!

Also, check out this video of the tank build!

Last edited:

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very nice, been there before, love the facility and the farm, congrats!

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read and cool looking tank.
Certainly a departure from the larger tanks we usually see as Reef of the Month.

This makes me want to set up the tiny pico/micro pico (can't recall), tank that my missus got at one stage on impulse that we broke down and put away LOL.

Planted Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the AB+ spectrum. If so, what percentages for each channel on the Prime? If not would you mind sharing settings? I've been struggling with getting the right look out of my 2 prime 16hds over my 40 breeder and yours looks very nice. Having a hard time getting there for some reason. Thanks!

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations, that Pico looks just amazing!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little tank. A little too busy, I’d probably go with one type of coral. Since I have Gonis in my large display , I would probably put say Acans or a grouping of frogspawn .

Reefngeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are people so against this being ROTM? A reef doesn't have to be some massive tank with colonies all over. This is a 4.8 gallon tank for christ's sake. Having frags in it is expected and the fact that those frags looks that well kept is impressive.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thread cleaned up! We want to keep this focused on the positives as this is an award thread. Thanks.

Last edited:

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!

Growing up with gaming PCs, I love the lighting!

Thinking of doing a small tank soonish... maybe look into adding Razer Chroma LOL

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! The scale is perfect... looks like a much larger tank at first glance.

trmnl5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations Lou on Reef of the Month! This tank came out great, and I can't wait to see it in the next 6 months.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are people so against this being ROTM? A reef doesn't have to be some massive tank with colonies all over. This is a 4.8 gallon tank for christ's sake. Having frags in it is expected and the fact that those frags looks that well kept is impressive.
As they say, "You can't please all the people all the time...". Kudos to the R2R staff for giving recognition to the smallest systems in this hobby.

Congrats, nicely done and maintained pico. Having access to cherry corals in the shop must be nice :)

Last edited:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well done! Most people either don't know, or don't appreciate how much more work small tanks are. It takes a dedicated reefer to pull it off, as you have! Congrats! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing good job

what camera took those pics, surely not just a smartphone?

so glad you use rr feeds

that’s all the shop had vs my frozen foods and I wondered if it was just a supplement vs full feed.

Last edited:
Back