Reef of the Month, June, 2019, @FarmerTy

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Ty! I could spend days in your living room and fish room.
If you haven't met Ty, he is as stellar of a person as he is a reef aquarist. Thanks for all you do for the local reefing community and for helping fill my tank with some of the beautiful coral you farm!

Hey thanks for the kind words bud! Colin knows the secret... Show up with a stout or porter and I'll spill all my secrets and extra frags will randomly fall into your bag. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FarmerTy has the best anemones in the business, more than the stores got. We have talked and he have gave me some good advice on anemones and sps’s. Just look at all his tanks and you can see he knows his stuff. Congrats and hope to see that tank in person one day.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FarmerTy has the best anemones in the business, more than the stores got. We have talked and he have gave me some good advice on anemones and sps’s. Just look at all his tanks and you can see he knows his stuff. Congrats and hope to see that tank in person one day.
I appreciate the kind words! Anemones are my secret side obsession. [emoji2958] The acro guys may lose respect for me. [emoji30]

And forgot to mention the only guy crazy enough to cut a supernova nem live. Lol
First time I ever went live. That was fun! [emoji23]

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bravo! Just Superb all around. A very enjoyable read and stunning photography. I wont even start on the fat fish and beautiful corals, you know what you have;) Congrats

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally awesome tank and write-up. The mix of insight and photos throughout the article made it a great read. Thank you for taking the time to share.
Thanks a bunch Tim! Thanks for taking the time to read it and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Bravo! Just Superb all around. A very enjoyable read and stunning photography. I wont even start on the fat fish and beautiful corals, you know what you have;) Congrats
Thank you! My blonde naso turned around last night in front of me and my jaw dropped. He had to be 2" thick across the middle![emoji15] I need to spend less time goofing around in the fish room with frags and more time staring at the display again!

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy I see your fish stock details 9 Black and White Ocellaris clowns. I don't see them in the display (but maybe i'm missing them). Are these in your frag tank by chance with the anemones? I'm setting up a large frag tank and trying to figure out what fish to put in there and would like to consider a larger group of clowns. I will also be be growing some anemones (but mostly Acros) and curious your experience with all those clowns and multiple hosts? Do they tend to pair off and host the various anemones separately or to all stick together? And any other thoughts on good frag tank fish would be great. Thanks!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stunning tank! So well documented. Now I know what you farm! Coral.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FarmerTy I see your fish stock details 9 Black and White Ocellaris clowns. I don't see them in the display (but maybe i'm missing them). Are these in your frag tank by chance with the anemones? I'm setting up a large frag tank and trying to figure out what fish to put in there and would like to consider a larger group of clowns. I will also be be growing some anemones (but mostly Acros) and curious your experience with all those clowns and multiple hosts? Do they tend to pair off and host the various anemones separately or to all stick together? And any other thoughts on good frag tank fish would be great. Thanks!

That is correct. They are not in the display but in anemone propagation tank. They initially all stuck together but then paired off into 2-3 clownfish groups. The groups are somewhat fluid it seems and can change from time to time.

I'm no expert on frag tank fish but my foxface is great for grazing algae. I'm still looking for a wrasse alternative that can keep pod populations manageable but haven't found anything great yet. I don't cover my frag tanks and wrasses tend to carpet surf eventually which is why I'm looking for an alternative.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning tank! So well documented. Now I know what you farm! Coral.

Thank you Katrina! It was a name donned on me on my local forum many years ago and it just kind of stuck. I always found myself with an excess of coral frags! [emoji23]

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you Katrina! It was a name donned on me on my local forum many years ago and it just kind of stuck. I always found myself with an excess of coral frags! [emoji23]
Excess coral frags? Go wash your mouth out. :)

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. They are not in the display but in anemone propagation tank. They initially all stuck together but then paired off into 2-3 clownfish groups. The groups are somewhat fluid it seems and can change from time to time.

I'm no expert on frag tank fish but my foxface is great for grazing algae. I'm still looking for a wrasse alternative that can keep pod populations manageable but haven't found anything great yet. I don't cover my frag tanks and wrasses tend to carpet surf eventually which is why I'm looking for an alternative.

Awesome. Have you had the group for a while now without much issue of them being picked off over time?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Have you had the group for a while now without much issue of them being picked off over time?

I'd say about 5 months now. I had two different varieties of black and white clown fish and noticed that the single striped varieties where be in bullied by the two striped clownfish. I removed the 3 single striped ones and put them in their own nano with my Reefwise Lemondrop anemones. They have been happy in there and the other 6 two-striped clownfish all paired up but still rotate family groups on occasion. There is no fighting or bullying amongst the 6.

Back