REEF OF THE MONTH - May 2023: Ancient Mariner's 100 Gallons of Acropora Splendor!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! Was amazed when I saw that the tank slid out! Very cool idea.

Great to see some other people that are into the "old school classics." It's what I like the best in my tank. I'm going for a smaller number of large colonies and really like the way it looks... though I still have quite a few colonies! I like the natural look when they start growing into and through each other. The fish really seem to like it too as they are always perching or hovering in the corals.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love that old school style/aesthetic. Can’t be beat.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who want to see the slide out in action, here's a video:

I also added it into the main article.

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and the design is amazing. I also love that you do not overly complicate things. Strategy that comes with experience I think ;)
You're exactly right. With this reef I knew the lights were good, the water quality was good, the live rock was proven, the salt was good, and the minimalist additive regimen worked. So when the poop hit the fan, I knew to stay calm. It took the three previous reefs to prove to me that this approach would work!

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very interesting and beautiful! A sliding tank….amazing. Enjoyed the read.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! A well deserved honor! I love the slider, what a great idea...

Ancient Mariner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful Tank!! Curious if you have any hitchhikers that came in while stocking? Bristle worms and such?
Ohhhh, yes! I never quarantined anything because I have no space. And I started with old live rock and muck from my previous reef knowing they had all the nuisance stuff. So I’ve got them all: Aptasia, bristleworms, Asterina, limpets, micro snails, vermetid , etc. The vermetid tubes are the most annoying because they appear on the corals. But otherwise there are no negative effects. They all are still present but thankfully the nuisance populations seems to be at a standstill, even Aptasia.

I still have patches of Cyanobacteria and Valonia (bubble algae) but very tiny amounts. I used to do near daily siphoning of cyano and harvesting of Valonia but now even they are at minimal levels.

I’m guessing that a highly stocked mature reef has extreme competition for some factor or factors between corals,algae,and nuisance invertebrates that the nuisance stuff eventually becomes controlled (not necessarily eliminated). It might be competition for substrate, light, flow, some biological factor, some chemical factor, or some nutrient.

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metal halides for the win!!!
Ice Hockey Love GIF by NHL

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Tank is spectacular. Love the slides. Wish I had a closed to use as an equipment room.

How do you manage to only clean your skimmer once every few months? Or is that the skimmer body and the cup and neck are cleaned daily or weekly?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back