REEF OF THE MONTH - November 2022: Samsreef's 340-gallon Mixed Reef! Hobby, passion, obsession!

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing colourful tank and like the way the coral is from the side,high at top and gradually going down,good luck on your new aquascape,hope all goes smoothly for you.
Keep up the good work ^_^
Thank you. Yes. it's progressing well. I am changing 1/3 aquascape at a time. and the rocks that comes out stays in the sump for 2 weeks before being removed. So far so good.

Sam

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sam, congratulations on this honor, a reefer is at the top of their game when they receive this recognition!!!!!
I want to say that I really like your deep explanation of your process which includes your failures, not many share that part of their journey. All new reefers should read every word of this and mimic your attention to their reef. Massive kudos for you on your success with this tank. It really is one of the nicest reefs I've seen in my 40 years of reefing, keep up the great work.
Thank you for your warm words.

Sam

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with most of that....I actually posted something very similiar a ways back stating that snails are not a miracle cure for an algae infested tank. They do little to nothing on anything but diatoms and very short "maintained" algae. I do believe there is a place for them in reef tanks but they need to be added from the beginning before the tank becomes an eyesore (along with other cleaners such as tangs), and target fed if necessary. Oh well...I was just curious.....again, beautiful tank!
I should acknowledge this first. There are several ways of running a reef tank. The key is to provide stable parameters for a thriving reef, free of pests and unsightly algae. Don't let anyone tell you that there is one way (salt mixes, 2 part vs CaRx, skimmer - y/n, Refugium - y/n, scrubber, GAC, GFO, UV/H2O2 reactors, ozone, led/halide/t5.....so many debates) to succeed. There are pros and cons for each and some of them fit together better.

Example - Currently, I am using a Calcium Reactor with ARM media (type of media is important) which has slightly high Mg along with Kalk reactor to increase Ph. I use Instant ocean which has lower Ca/Mag, which is perfect for my situation. However, I use reef crystals on my quarantine tank and runs with 2 part. This does not mean Instant ocean is a better salt...nope. it just works in this configuration.

I will stop rambling now.... Back to the topic. I have personally not needed to keep snails to achieve my goals.

Stocking snails/hermits in a new tank when the ecosystem(microfauna, sponges, bacteria diversity, pods, other detritus eaters....) is not mature will lead to more mortality.

Having said that, If you like the look of snails(some of them are pretty cool), who am I to stop :)

Sam

Last edited:

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tank. Which model Tunze pumps are you using on your sea sweeps?

It has amazing wide flow so the corals get good flow but don’t get their flesh blown away…

Unfortunately it is on back order for a while. #BRS #TUNZE help…

Sam

editour2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, those are the equivalent of the 6205's. I have 6105's on sea sweeps on my 215 gal DT along with 2 gyres on the back wall and 2 jebao sow's, (1 on each side panel).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRAVO ON SUCH A SPECTACULAR REEF AQUARIUM!

Thank you for sharing your love of the hobby with us!

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great system and writeup!

Do you have any problems with noise with your tunzes on sweeps?
Thank you. One of them has a hum(no more than an MP60) and the other one(newer sweep) does not. You should check the rubber cushion where the sweep attaches to the euro bracing. If the rubber cushion is worn out, it will have some noise.

Sam

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. One of them has a hum(no more than an MP60) and the other one(newer sweep) does not. You should check the rubber cushion where the sweep attaches to the euro bracing. If the rubber cushion is worn out, it will have some noise.

Sam
Thank you so much for sharing your reef tank, your journey and your thoughts. The detail was amazing. I am new to the hobby and this is inspiring! Congrats!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back