Reef Of The Month: Should we bring it back?

Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

• YES

Votes: 596 94.9%
  • NO

Votes: 27 4.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed thoughts on this.... I enjoy the reef of the month. But at the same time it sets a bar that is unattainable for a lot of folks. Every tank and reefer has a point where it is doing the best it can do with the resources it has. Whether that is money, time, water sources, equipment, smarts, etc. The reef of the month used to make me feel like “ I gotta get to that to be doing this right.”
But at the same time it is really good to know how folks achieve those tanks and what really goes into making it happen.
It reminds me I don’t have the resources right now to get there, but maybe when I retire.
So a tentative yes....
Some stunning tanks are setup with minimal cost and equipment. You don’t need a lot of $$$ to have a beautiful tank, just know what species do well in your setup and focus on those :) a tank doesn’t have to be 400g filled with high ends sticks to be worthy of TOTM.

In fact I will scream if I see a 6 month old bare bottom floating scape of coloured bushes as the first TOTM LOL. Let’s see some reefs with some age!

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OooHHHHhh NNooooo,,, You mean you are supposed to hide the algae and aiptasia?

I didn't know that! Do you like put a paper cup or band aids over it? :oops:
I think you just use that massive zoom lens with a depth of field as shallow as can be :) Beautiful photo of a polyp with a rainbow of blurry color in the background!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great suggestions, like the sizing aspect, like the doesn’t have to be the most high end aspect, etc.

Heres a thought...Start a new forum called FULL TANK SHOT, Mods pick a half dozen (?) of the FTS for each category of photos submitted in last 30 days, community votes on those photos (one vote only each category), winners are notified and have to provide tank info by a certain deadline, mods then publish the TOM winners by category.

Example FTS shots submitted Jan 1-31, mods take 1 week to pick, community votes for 1 week, winners notified for write up, winners featured during first week in March.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you just use that massive zoom lens with a depth of field as shallow as can be :) Beautiful photo of a polyp with a rainbow of blurry color in the background!
I don't know how to do that so my pictures unfortunately, what you see is what I got.
I realize most tank pictures have garish colors and in the 300+ hours I have spent underwater, I never seen corals looking like that. I wish they really looked like that. But they don't.

Many of the tanks on here I am jealous of and they don't need photoshopping as they are beautiful just as they are. Especially when I see a truly healthy, growing eco system. That excites me and at my age, not much excites me.

Jsand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've had some suggestions lately to bring back the Reef Of The Month where we choose an exceptional reef tank that we feature for everyone to view and learn the details about. But the question was raised if it was even something that the masses would be interested in. Believe it or not it takes quite a bit of work to choose a feature, compile the information, pick photos and edit into something that is enjoyable to view. So let's talk about it!

Here you can see some of the past features.

1. Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

2 What suggestions might you have that could make this tank feature easier to put together?

Reef of the month Feb 2017 @junio melo
Untitled-4.jpg
LOL

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how to do that so my pictures unfortunately, what you see is what I got.
I realize most tank pictures have garish colors and in the 300+ hours I have spent underwater, I never seen corals looking like that. I wish they really looked like that. But they don't.

Many of the tanks on here I am jealous of and they don't need photoshopping as they are beautiful just as they are. Especially when I see a truly healthy, growing eco system. That excites me and at my age, not much excites me.
you're an inventor (yes... I've read the book).
swim mask with built in blue hi- beam LED and orange filter lens. "Now your dive adventure can look just like your reef tank.". (well may be not yours :cool: )

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back