Reef Of The Month: Should we bring it back?

Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

• YES

Votes: 596 94.9%
  • NO

Votes: 27 4.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

surcalation

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please, be great to see tanks of different shapes, sizes, styles and inhabitants. Tanks that you can aspire too and tanks that make you go, "ooo, that's different". Hope it doesn't just turn into sticks of the month ;) Plenty of tanks which are great that haven't had money just chucked at them.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I love the idea of a tank of the month, I know it can be a ton of work every single month. Maybe a tank of the quarter (TOTQ is a good acronym) would be better to get some time between tanks and then if lots of interest and help, do it monthly. JMTC

AKreefgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes. I have a hard time figuring out which corals I want, where to place them in relation to each other and look to other people's tanks for inspiration. It's also nice to highlight people who work hard, have lots of info to share and have success in the hobby.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please! I remember the Reefkeeping magazine days I couldn’t wait to see and read the TOTM it was always my favourite. Very inspiring and educational.

It’s also always been a goal of mine to achieve, and I finally have the system to eventually get there :)

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've had some suggestions lately to bring back the Reef Of The Month where we choose an exceptional reef tank that we feature for everyone to view and learn the details about. But the question was raised if it was even something that the masses would be interested in. Believe it or not it takes quite a bit of work to choose a feature, compile the information, pick photos and edit into something that is enjoyable to view. So let's talk about it!

Here you can see some of the past features.

1. Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

2 What suggestions might you have that could make this tank feature easier to put together?

Reef of the month Feb 2017 @junio melo
Untitled-4.jpg
Yes! I think a standard format that’s the same for every tank.
Pictures.
Livestock list & pictures.
Age of tank
Equipment list broken out. Example: lights, skimmer?, reactors?, pumps, ATO?, Dosing? etc
Then routine for maintenance, dosing, supplements,& feeding
& lastly advice section

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a theme of tanks that are a bit more on the “for everyone” kind of setup. Amazing and complex systems are cool. What about the simple systems, smaller ones, not full-on time and money invested tanks. I could see some value in learning about simplistic successful setups. Definitely could glean some ideas there.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes. As a new reefer I find inspiration for my own tank in other peoples work. This will have me viewing the build threads and create more interaction.

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am all for it, but it would be nice to see some categories. My 180 is never ever going to compare to some of the "stand slack-jawed in awe" 1000+ gallon reefs. I already have plenty to make me feel inadequate, lol.

Katherine Carter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the tanks should have to have a fully detailed build to be included but definitely a list of livestock, equipment, supplements etc and maybe some thoughts on why they are successful and the obstacles they had to overcome to get there. I get that this is a lot of work so a tank of the quarter or every other month would be better than nothing at all. And I agree with the variable tank sizes.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

yep

2 What suggestions might you have that could make this tank feature easier to put together?

split the months in to tank sizes, monster, between monster and nano, pico/nano.

tanks must have a build thread, saves on admins/mods having to look for info for the post.
(@najer gets a pass on this rule just because)

tanks are picked by admins/mods.
I like the tank size factor great addition

kylef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To save you the work of digging through build threads each month could there be an ongoing monthly poll where people submit their vote for TOTM and you can count votes/cross reference to see if they qualify?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How can we NOT do it now?

Back