Reef Of The Month: Should we bring it back?

Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

• YES

Votes: 596 94.9%
  • NO

Votes: 27 4.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes because we ALL spend a ton of time on our tanks. The one's that have a put in the time should be rewarded for it. Take pride in the tank you have created. I also feel they should get a banner for it, though getting this banner will not be easy. I look at the awesome tanks members have here on R2R and it makes me want to try harder to achieve that level.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've had some suggestions lately to bring back the Reef Of The Month where we choose an exceptional reef tank that we feature for everyone to view and learn the details about. But the question was raised if it was even something that the masses would be interested in. Believe it or not it takes quite a bit of work to choose a feature, compile the information, pick photos and edit into something that is enjoyable to view. So let's talk about it!

Here you can see some of the past features.

1. Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

2 What suggestions might you have that could make this tank feature easier to put together?

Reef of the month Feb 2017 @junio melo
Untitled-4.jpg
I’m sure its a lot of work to put together but always something to learn.

58e970b2-3f88-4897-87ba-5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved tank of the month! I really miss that feature.

I found it to be a great learning resource and source of inspiration. It was basically my pointer to which build threads I should be reading.

Idea to make selecting the tanks easier:
- add a voting/nominating feature to build threads
- have ranking showing the build threads by tank (hopefully worthy tanks rise to the top) (this could also be an alternative if TOTM is too hard, just an easy way to find great tanks)
- possibly go through different categories (ie. throw in some nano, fowlr, etc. tanks to mix it up and keep from depleting your list of worthy tanks)

Idea to make the write up easier:
- more standardized parts to article (date started, stocking list, equipment, maintenance routine, challenges, favourite parts, etc.)
- try to get tank owner to do write up (more like questionnaire format?)
- possibly a small prize and badge for being selected and doing a reasonable job with the write up (you can’t win if you don’t help with doing the write up and getting up to date photos)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes because we ALL spend a ton of time on our tanks. The one's that have a put in the time should be rewarded for it. Take pride in the tank you have created. I also feel they should get a banner for it, though getting this banner will not be easy. I look at the awesome tanks members have here on R2R and it makes me want to try harder to achieve that level.
how you gonna fit another banner over there? :D

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a question.
the question is posed as Reef of the Month.
so is it by appearance the tanks will be judged on?
what about FOWLR tanks? (are they a thing here?)
does innovation come in to play?
ok, that's 4 questions.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see it in 3 categories
Nano
Aio
Large tanks
I like this idea a lot. Not sure about AIO category, but maybe based on size of tank only...
I think voting like POTM would be good.

Nano of Quarter,
Next month
Mid-size tank of Quarter,
Next month
Large tank of Quarter.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like this idea a lot. Not sure about AIO category, but maybe based on size of tank only...
I think voting like POTM would be good.

Nano of Quarter,
Next month
Mid-size tank of Quarter,
Next month
Large tank of Quarter.

Ooh I really like a themed idea to keep it mixed up. It will also ensure a variety of tanks get a shot at it. We could put together a list so people could prepare. Also I have seen voting mentioned a lot too and that’s definitely something we will do as well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I loved tank of the month! I really miss that feature.

I found it to be a great learning resource and source of inspiration. It was basically my pointer to which build threads I should be reading.

Idea to make selecting the tanks easier:
- add a voting/nominating feature to build threads
- have ranking showing the build threads by tank (hopefully worthy tanks rise to the top) (this could also be an alternative if TOTM is too hard, just an easy way to find great tanks)
- possibly go through different categories (ie. throw in some nano, fowlr, etc. tanks to mix it up and keep from depleting your list of worthy tanks)

Idea to make the write up easier:
- more standardized parts to article (date started, stocking list, equipment, maintenance routine, challenges, favourite parts, etc.)
- try to get tank owner to do write up (more like questionnaire format?)
- possibly a small prize and badge for being selected and doing a reasonable job with the write up (you can’t win if you don’t help with doing the write up and getting up to date photos)

Great ideas and suggestions! How about a legit trophy we send the winners each month?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so I have a question.
the question is posed as Reef of the Month.
so is it by appearance the tanks will be judged on?
what about FOWLR tanks? (are they a thing here?)
does innovation come in to play?
ok, that's 4 questions.

These are some things we will have to figure out and establish.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly would like to See Reef of the Month.

Seeing a succesful tank with some "general/simple" overview was always an inspriation.
The Credit/Recognition to the reef owner was a very positive thing.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES - Dealing with hobbyist and the voting process in 1 month is probably the reason why no one ends up doing it long term. It needs to be more simple to do and backend stuff can be done in advance.

- Select 3 of the best tanks, get them to do the write up and your good for the quarter. To speed up the process let the 3 owners know first one to share write up gets the next month. This way you can avoid that stress of not having an article ready. Dont forget some hobbyist with established reef may not be checking R2R much so may need some time to get in touch.

-Incase of delays, launch them 1-2 weeks before the start of the month. Keep articles in a easy to find folder not a thread format, this will attract more reefers outside of R2R to come to the forum

-Reef of the month is fine but what if you want to select a FOWLR system like Andrew Sandler 17000 gallon behemoth? I really think R2R TOTM just has a powerful ring to it!

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO MAKE IT INTERESTING, besides besides each reef being an awesome reef that stands out, each monthly installment perhaps could highlight a particular aspect of the Hobby. Maybe one month, the chosen reef has unique plumbing and is doing innovative things with plumbing...another month. Another month, maybe the chosen reef has some rare exotic corals. -This way every month the content is bursting with new ideas and new subject matter.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TO MAKE IT INTERESTING, besides besides each reef being an awesome reef that stands out, each monthly installment perhaps could highlight a particular aspect of the Hobby. Maybe one month, the chosen reef has unique plumbing and is doing innovative things with plumbing...another month. Another month, maybe the chosen reef has some rare exotic corals. -This way every month the content is bursting with new ideas and new subject matter.

Man these are some great suggestions everyone!

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote NO, unless it also includes the Reef Failure of the Month.
There's at least as much knowledge and inspiration to be gleamed from other people's failures and struggles as those with picture-perfect tanks. Show the Good, Bad and Ugly gets my vote. And I'm definitely a front-runner for two categories!!!

Back