Reef Of The Month: Should we bring it back?

Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

• YES

Votes: 596 94.9%
  • NO

Votes: 27 4.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 5 0.8%

• Total voters
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You betcha! From now on you can call me a "5 percenter!"
;Woot ;Woot ;Woot
Oh wait, just dropped to four!

Check out your new profile name tag line...haha!

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great if they brought this back. I still read through the RC TOTM threads for inspiration. The hobby has changed a lot since then so it would be great to see what the people with the best tanks are doing to run their systems these days.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I was checking tank of the month every month on Reef Central. It was a good source of information for me building my 410 gallon system in 2006. And it was a lot of joy reading it every month.

But it is a lot of work for the person that is searching the tanks, mailing the owner and then complete the information with new questions and edit it to fit in the format. And of coarse there should be nano and monster tanks, reef and fish only as well as extremely specialized tanks. Just to show to different kind of tanks it possible to maintain and have success with. I think it needs three persons for this. One can easily quit if wife goes ill or his tank crashes and 2 can have disagree opinions. But of three it is always possible that 2 can vote over 1.

To increase the interest of the tank owners it would be good to have a prize. Maybe a 3d printed fish or coral or a gift from a sponsor. And of coarse a poll every year between the 12 tanks: Tank of the year.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mixed thoughts on this.... I enjoy the reef of the month. But at the same time it sets a bar that is unattainable for a lot of folks. Every tank and reefer has a point where it is doing the best it can do with the resources it has. Whether that is money, time, water sources, equipment, smarts, etc. The reef of the month used to make me feel like “ I gotta get to that to be doing this right.”
But at the same time it is really good to know how folks achieve those tanks and what really goes into making it happen.
It reminds me I don’t have the resources right now to get there, but maybe when I retire.
So a tentative yes....

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, would be great to see those awesome inspiring tanks!!

I like the idea of separating the tank of the month in the different forums. If not, then I just see the monster tanks beating out the Nano, etc tanks every month. Could also be set up like the Photo of The Month. Admins could pick a handful of tanks each month and let all of the members vote on the TOTM.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To increase the interest of the tank owners it would be good to have a prize. Maybe a 3d printed fish or coral or a gift from a sponsor.
Maybe a “R2R Tank of the Month Club” T-Shirt?

And a badge that links to your TOTM thread.

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think TOTM doesn't have to always be the most visually stunning tank. Longevity in this hobby is also something to celebrate. Even a less than "perfect" tank is a success if it's been sustained for a period of time. There's as much to be said about how to keep a tank and your interest going for years on end, as there is about how you hide algae outbreaks or aptaisia in your photos, or how the latest and greatest piece of equipment compares to an older version.

gofor100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved the TOTMs. If for nothing else, to see some awesome tanks. But I really like them so that I can see how others are doing it successfully (since there are so many different ways to successfully keep a reef tank).

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall that other forums used to take heat because 80% of the winners where SPS dominant reefs. I always looked forward to seeing the reefs of top reefers out there, not one that is tailored to a certain group of reefers. Few times they added weak TOTM winners which I knew was from forum pressure.

Nowadays, its not about the size of the tank I know a lot of large reef tanks that can't hold a candle to some of these smaller reef tanks out there.

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we've had some suggestions lately to bring back the Reef Of The Month where we choose an exceptional reef tank that we feature for everyone to view and learn the details about. But the question was raised if it was even something that the masses would be interested in. Believe it or not it takes quite a bit of work to choose a feature, compile the information, pick photos and edit into something that is enjoyable to view. So let's talk about it!

Here you can see some of the past features.

1. Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

2 What suggestions might you have that could make this tank feature easier to put together?

Reef of the month Feb 2017 @junio melo
Untitled-4.jpg
It would be great
One thought I had recently was why R2R didn’t have a ‘2021 Calendar’ for sale.
Has there ever been such a thing by R2R?

Not only could it feature different reef of the month pictures...but it could also help pay for the printing costs and possibly help fund marine research/charities by allowing vendors to advertise.

An inspirational calendar with awesome photos from fellow reefers which has space for daily notes for those who’d like to add parameters and reminders etc.

Anyone else think this would be a cool idea?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would rather have a theme of the month or a member showcase of the month. Maybe not qualify as the best reef tank around but still able to show the tank. Filter. Livestock.
Hths.
D

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree I really appreciate a TOTM feature, it's a valuable way to find premium tanks being run by talented hobbyists, and look at what equipment they have, what stock, and their successes and failures. And then I can check out their build threads for even more information if I'm interested. Plus, all of the eye candy with the pictures :D On other boards that have this feature, it's easily my favorite and the one that I use the most.

fade2black

Is this thing on?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be great if they brought this back. I still read through the RC TOTM threads for inspiration. The hobby has changed a lot since then so it would be great to see what the people with the best tanks are doing to run their systems these days.
I do that same thing on several forums. I miss this feature.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's as much to be said about how to keep a tank and your interest going for years on end, as there is about how you hide algae outbreaks or aptaisia in your photos,
OooHHHHhh NNooooo,,, You mean you are supposed to hide the algae and aiptasia?

I didn't know that! Do you like put a paper cup or band aids over it? :oops:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back