Reef oids and dinos

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been able to supress a dino issue i had a couple of months back and tank was doing great only issue is a couple of turf algae patches on some rocks but i take that over dinos any day. Only issue ive been having is keeping phosphates above 0 even after MONTHS of daily dosing phosphates, after so many bottles of phosphates that i have added to the tank i decided to make my own with trisodium phosphate. The issue is that every couple of hours it drops which i find ridiculous ( i expected the rocks and sand to be saturated after adding a ton of phosphate multiple times a day for months.) I have noticed that adding reefroids keeps the phosphates a bit more stable to my surprise ( atleast above 0 ) now the question is will the reef roids feed the dinos? I did a water change a couple days ago and started to see some patches of dinos on the sand after months of it being gone. This is my daily phosphate chart ( mind you i test twice a day since they fall so fast, everytime i test i have to add to keep it at 0.10.

Screenshot_20200805-194556_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20200805-194604_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20200805-211155_AquaticLog.jpg Screenshot_20200805-211201_AquaticLog.jpg

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef roids won't help the dinos. If it raises waste levels, the roids will hurt the dinos in the long run.
Do reef roids contain aminos though? As that just makes dinos alot worse. I was thinking of addign phosphates through a dosing pump since im sure a spike of phosphates like the one shown above throught the day is bad for the corals.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do reef roids contain aminos though? As that just makes dinos alot worse. I was thinking of addign phosphates through a dosing pump since im sure a spike of phosphates like the one shown above throught the day is bad for the corals.

I think reef roids is simply powdered zooplankton.

sjhdeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your phosphate is dropping so fast because of the dinos. As long as there are traces of dinos you are gonna battle this. Battling this myself right now. Dinos replicate so fast they can drop phosphate extremely fast. Only thing I have found to cure this is to really kill of all the dinos while they are in free swimming for. Here are the steps that helped me.

1, Go dark, absolutely no light from 3 to 7 days
2, while dark you add nutrients until they get where u want them
3, if u can run a uv sterilizer directly pumped from the display and back in to the display
4, daily while dark do your best to dislodge any dinos from tank via turkey baster or small pump
5, make sure before the lights go back on that all mechanical filters have been changed, pretty much anything that can hold dormant dinos that might not have passed through the US.
6, no skimming for a week or 2 during and after the dark period.
7, no water changes for at least a month, dinos love water changes. Also make sure your not running any gfo
8, cross your fingers.. if your coral are healthy they can deal with the darkness with no issues. They get big storms in the ocean all the time and get no light so they will be fine if they are healthy.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't ahve a UV, something like a green machine may work. They are cheap and some dinos will get wiped by them (although in can benefit other dino species.

One thing to try for the dinos is turning off a skimmer if you have one.

Another cocktail that I like is this: Raise nitrate and phosphate up significantly (not crazy but above where you would like to keep them), dose dr tims eco balance, waste away, and pns probio (a blend of microbes), and some ocean magik phyto (I did this with the first two listed and my own phyto). My idea is that you provide lots of "fuel" for microbes, and then you heavily dose them to essentially rapidly outcompete the dinos for space and resources. The key is to keep nitrate and phosphate up until the dinos are gone as these products will lower them. I did this and have a UV but I don't think the UV did anything since the dinos would not dissapate at night. If your dinos seem to break up and go away at night, then a UV may work as some species do this.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back